• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Starting my journey

Frank67

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I want to let everyone know i am in the process of enlisting. I have had my apptitude testing and interview. Since i am 39 i had to get an over 40 medical through my family doctor. Everything is fine and the recruiting office has sent my results to Ottawa. It's a waiting game from here on in. Getting back in shape was seeming impossible at first. Now i can run at least 5k at a good speed with regular breathing. Gets easier every day. This site has helped me quite a bit in easing my worries about basic training. I know it will be hard but not impossible. My field is electrical and i am applying for mar el with the navy. Seems my experience will help me get an offer. If anyone can give me some of what to expect next that would be a big help. I'll let you know of my progress.

Here is my physical update.
6'1" 218lbs
2.4 k in 15 minutes 
5 k in 36 minutes
Woulld like to be at about 180 - 190 lbs.  This will come since i am addicted to running and the gym now. Eating right
Thanks to all for your posts . Alot of great info here.

Frank    :cdn:

How long have you been waiting on your medical to come back from Ottawa?

It was only sent last thursday. It will get there tomorrow or so.
I figure i have a little wait ahead of me.

Frank

I'm 38 but no one mentioned having to get a special over 40 medical to me.  I did have to get a note from my doctor because I tested high for sugar on the dipstick test (maybe I didn't study hard enough).  In any case, I would like to see things progress quickly for you (keep us informed).

Good luck Frank. I'm glad to see more people wanting to join up and serve :) all the power to you!

Thanks MedTech
I've thought about it for a year and will be proud to serve my country.
Time to give something back.

Frank

Frank67 said:
I've thought about it for a year and will be proud to serve my country.
Time to give something back.
I hear you Frank, I feel exactly the same way...and I'm 50!  Medical is a week from now, keeping my fingers crossed.

Got word today that my medical came back from Ottawa. I am fit  to continue on. They are merit listing me and I hope to get a call in the next few weeks.
Hoping to do basic in july/august. I'll keep you all posted.

All the best!!  Thanks for giving a time frame for your medical to come back from Ottawa.

congrats Frank, maybe ill see ya in St. Jean in the not to distant future, my bmq starts July 16th.

Here is a timeline of my process to date

March 20th    Filled my application.
March 27th    Apptitude test and paperwork.
April 4th        Medical at recruiting office  ( need over 40 from doctor as i am 39 ) Also interview, ( very nice people )
April 5th        Doctor's app.    That was fast
April 10th      Ecg and bloodwork for sugar and cholesterol ( was a tuesday, long easter weekend, blood lab was closed Fri - mon )
April 17th      Test results from family doctor ( ECG etc. )
April 19th      Medical sent to Ottawa
May 3rd        Medical back
May 4th        Merit listed

Now i have to wait. I called The recruiting office to check in on the 4th of may. They didnt realize the medical was back. It's good to check every few weeks.
Also i called my doctor on the 17th of april. They were waiting on my ECG. I called the hospital and they faxed it over for me. Sped up the process by a week.
So all in  all it's been a petty quick process considering i had to wait for a doctor's note and the 4 day long weekend.  This ate up 15 days from April 4th to April 19th.
It's good to keep on top of things. Anyway thats my story up until now. I'll post when i hear back or get the " CALL ".

Wow! Congrats so far on the process, Frank. Best of luck to you!  :salute:

Hi all

How's this for a time line.

March 20th    Filled my application.
March 27th    Apptitude test and paperwork.
April 4th        Medical at recruiting office  ( need over 40 from doctor as i am 39 ) Also interview, ( very nice people )
April 5th        Doctor's app.    That was fast
April 10th      Ecg and bloodwork for sugar and cholesterol ( was a tuesday, long easter weekend, blood lab was closed Fri - mon )
April 17th      Test results from family doctor ( ECG etc. )
April 19th      Medical sent to Ottawa
May 3rd        Medical back
May 4th        Merit listed

May 8Th      GOT MY OFFER    ;D    :salute:

and of course i accepted..    Going to be sworn in July 30th  and off  to St. Jean  Aug 13th

Wow i'm really exited and looking forward to it...

See you all there...         

Congrats Frank!! Ill be just starting week 5 or so when your starting out.

Congrats Frank, keep a good head on your shoulders realized feeling pain is part of the process look for others to gain strength and let them find it in you as well.  Take care, Can-Am :salute:

Thanks Can-Am

Great words. Will enjoy everything about it. Pain is just a state of mind.

Frank  :cdn:

Back