• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Starting a Career as an ATIS Tech

CDN Aviator said:
You're not quite understanding what happens to an AVN after promotion to WO so i wouldn't make a decision just yet.

The aircraft technician trades, along with flight engineers, all become AM SUP upon promotion to WO. They stay in the aircraft maintenance world, continue to work in flying Sqns, but are now "in charge" of supervising unit maintenance functions.

It's not like you start your career all over agin in something completely different. It is just part of the career progression.

Be careful making career decisions based on assumptions.

Good to know, thanks. Yes, avoiding assumptions is why when I am not doing PT I seem to be sitting here voraciously reading everything I can. I wish it were possible to go to Trenton and speak to/see in action the various trades. I am taking a huge risk leaving school to pursue this career path. I hope in the end that I do make the right decision.

CDN Aviator said:
The arrival this year of 35/55 guarantees that CRA 60 will be the exception.

Can you expand on this? It looks like service/age = factor 80. Which is actually pretty good, for my wife it is age/service factor = 90, however with early Ret. allowable with 55/30.

RDY2SRV12 said:
Can you expand on this? It looks like service/age = factor 80. Which is actually pretty good, for my wife it is age/service factor = 90, however with early Ret. allowable with 55/30.

No, not like that at all. Official details will come soon.

Follow up; I just spoke to the good people at Forces Pensions and was given the following information;

Any service 2 years or more qualifies for a pension.

The formula is 2 X years of service = % of average of last five years. For Example 25 years served = 50%

At 60 one can also serve five more years as a cadet instructor in order to top up years of service to a maximum of 35 years.

Reserve time must be bought back in the first year of Regular force service.

So for my situation I am good to go I will have my 25 years by CRA 60. Hope this helps anyone interested in this topic.  :)

RDY2SRV12 said:
Any service 2 years or more qualifies for a pension.

Careful there. After 2 years, the pension is deferred to age 65 unless you serve to 25 (or 20 for many of us).

RDY2SRV12 said:
At 60 one can also serve five more years as a cadet instructor in order to top up years of service to a maximum of 35 years.

There is no entitlement to serve until 60. CRA is 55 unless the needs of the service require you to stay longer.

RDY2SRV12 said:
Reserve time must elected to be bought back in the first year of Regular force service.

FTFY.  ;)

One hint about buying back Res (or previous) time is to start with a low amount because you can raise it, but if you start high, you can't lower it.

CDN Aviator said:
Careful there. After 2 years, the pension is deferred to age 65 unless you serve to 25 (or 20 for many of us).

Yes, the timing of when you get your pension paid out is another story all together. I think that is where the changes you had mentioned above come in.

I also forgot to mention that any Federal public service, including RCMP, can also count towards pensionable service to the 35 Year max.

CDN Aviator said:

There is no entitlement to serve until 60. CRA is 55 unless the needs of the service require you to stay longer.

Unless I am interpreting the Q. R. & O incorrectly; it is dependant on when you enrolled, if you have made any elections to adjust your service eligibility, your rank, and if you are an officer or not; in reference to myself, or any NCM enrolled after 1 July 2004, 60 is the age;

Section 3 - Non-commissioned Members
15.31 - RELEASE OF NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS - AGE AND LENGTH OF SERVICE
(1 July 2004)
(12) Table "E" applies to a non-commissioned member of the Regular Force who
commenced his service as a non-commissioned member of the Regular Force on or after 1 July 2004;
or
was serving as a non-commissioned member of the Regular Force on 30 June 2004 and, in accordance with orders issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff, is offered and accepts to have Table "E" apply to him.
(1 July 2004)
(13) This article is a regulation made for the purposes of paragraph 15(1)(b) of the Canadian Human Rights Act.
(1 July 2004)
(G) (P.C. 2004-751 of 17 June 2004 effective 1 July 2004)
Table "E" TO ARTICLE 15.31
AGE 60 RELEASE - NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS
Rank Age
All ranks 60
(G) (P.C. 2004-751 of 17 June 2004 effective 1 July 2004)

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/chapter-chapitre-015-eng.asp#cha-015-17

RDY2SRV12 said:
Unless I am interpreting the Q. R. & O incorrectly; it is dependant on when you enrolled, if you have made any elections to adjust your service eligibility, your rank, and if you are an officer or not; in reference to myself, or any NCM enrolled after 1 July 2004, 60 is the age;

Listen to me very carefully: Electing for CRA 60 does not create an entitlement to serve until age 60.

Clear now ?

He doesn't need to elect CRA 60, because he came in after the cut off of 1 July 2004.

However, you are quite correct that the CF is not obligated to offer anyone TOS that take them to their CRA be it 55 or 60, and that those who were enrolled before 1 July 2004 don't necessarily get another 5 years svc just by making an election for CRA 60.

Ah, I believe I understand what you are saying, correct me if I am wrong as I am here to learn;

After my initial 5 year contract the CF can offer TOS up to age 60, but is not obligated to do so; they could offer a term of any number of years depending on the projected needs of the forces. So, although the CRA may be 60 there is no guarantee that one will be offered the requisite years to make it to that point. Correct?
(Thanks for taking the time to clear these important issues up.)

There will be a CANFORGEN out later this year, that will explain 35/55 to everyone.

If you meet the requirements, you'll be offered further terms of service IAW CMP Instr 05/05.  For some reason, I'm having trouble googlizing this or I'd paste in a link.  Find it and read it, if you really want to know how it works.  Basically there is a sequence by occupation that begins with the Variable Initial Engagement (VIE), may have 1 or more Continuing Engagements (CE), followed by an Intermediate Engagement - 25 (IE25).  The CF may or may not offer another CE (typically for 5) or an Indefinite Period of Service that takes the member to their CRA (which may be age 55 or 60 as discussed).  Further TOS could be offered across the board in a given rank within an occupation, or it may be a competition.

Back