• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SQ- RMS Army Clerk

Boca

Inactive
Reaction score
Is anyone certain as to if Army RMS does SQ? I've researched this but i'm getting mixed answers. I found some on this site that say every army person will take it but they are posts from years ago.  My job descriptions doesn't say anything about soldier qualification in the training section but almost every other job description in the Army trades section specifically says that you will do sq after you finish BMQ.  If anyone could clear this up I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Boca said:
Is anyone certain as to if Army RMS does SQ? I've researched this but i'm getting mixed answers. I found some on this site that say every army person will take it but they are posts from years ago.  My job descriptions doesn't say anything about soldier qualification in the training section but almost every other job description in the Army trades section specifically says that you will do sq after you finish BMQ.  If anyone could clear this up I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

If you don't, you should.

Hopefully someone will be along to answer your question - I'm out of date now.  It would probably help if you mentioned whether your Regular or Reserve - it might make a difference.

Roy Harding
Retired RMS Clk

From experiances with people who were on my basic (grad Apr 07) -- the 3 clerks did not do SQ, but then again their 3's course was 2 days after basic.
Two platoons after us however, their 2 clerks DID so sq. So it seems its a bit up in the air.

For certain trades you don't need to do SQ before going onto your QL3 training, but SQ is still something that would have to be eventually done(although some people don't do it for whatever reason, ie going on tour, etc)

I'm on PRETC in Borden right now, so I can share what I see here. If you arrive here to wait for your QL3, and there is an SQ course available in the time you have to wait, you'll VERY likely be doing SQ. The Army clerks that are on PRETC with me have been loaded on my SQ course.

Even if your trade does not require you to have SQ prior to starting training, if you are Army (or a purple trade it seems..) and you have time to kill, you'll be loaded on an available course. My trade does not require us to have SQ prior to our QL3, but myself (Army) and a few Navy Medical Technicians will be starting SQ next week.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick answers guys. I am Reg Force by the way. 

Boca said:
I am Reg Force by the way. 
In that case, be aware that although you may wear the ARMY DEU, there is no such thing as an "Army RMS Clerk", only a "currently posted with the Army RMS Clerk".

Semantics maybe but the fact is regardless what DEU you wear, you are just as liable as any other to go to sea or to an Air base (Wing). As someone else mentioned, a "purple trade" and as such any DEU could be required to do SQ based on their employment.

Pte Pea said:
I'm on PRETC in Borden right now, so I can share what I see here. If you arrive here to wait for your QL3, and there is an SQ course available in the time you have to wait, you'll VERY likely be doing SQ. The Army clerks that are on PRETC with me have been loaded on my SQ course.

Even if your trade does not require you to have SQ prior to starting training, if you are Army (or a purple trade it seems..) and you have time to kill, you'll be loaded on an available course. My trade does not require us to have SQ prior to our QL3, but myself (Army) and a few Navy Medical Technicians will be starting SQ next week.

Hope that helps.

meaford? i heard it's a hell, some one can describe it a little bit pls? anyone did it in gagetown?

uzi said:
meaford? i heard it's a hell, some one can describe it a little bit pls? anyone did it in gagetown?

How about doing a search for yourself on meaford....oh i don't know, about 26 pages of threads for you to filter through, i'm sure all your questions have been asked and answered before.

Was on my SQ last november and on 32 candidate, we had around 6-7 future RMS-Clerks.

French SQ will mostly end up in Valcartier, I cannot talk about Meaford or Gagetown.

Gagetown runs a great many SQ courses here, and not just for personnel posted to this location.

That being said, it is common practise here to load Ptes (of any uniform colour) onto the SQ as soon as possible after their posting here if the course has not already been completed, regardless of trade.

The SQ that began here early-Dec has Inf, Armd, Arty, Sup, RMS, Cook etc on it.

It wouldn't have been listed on your "job description" as it is not a "trade-related" course for RMS clerks, however it is an Army related course for personnel posted into Army slots.

Just like I did a Sea Enviornmental course when I got posted to the Navy in Halifax ... in my blue uniform as a purple trade.

Actually, I've done the enviornmental courses for all 3 enviornments as I have been posted with all 3 and, as a purple trade, you may find this same statement will one day apply to yourself.

Close friend of mine is a Course Officer/Plt Comd right now at Meaford, and he has mentioned several times he has Army RMS-types on his 4-week SQ courses.  Apparently all of his candidates are non-combat-arms, and the courses last 4 weeks.

[Edited to add:  He only had Land Element uniformed folks on his last course]

Meridian said:
[Edited to add:  He only has Land Element uniformed folks on his courses]

I'd wager that quote above should more properly read:

He only has Land Elemented uniformed folks on this course.

There's an AF Sup Tech working just down the hall from my office who did her SQ course ... in Meaford while waiting for a position on a QL3s Sup, and the SQs that were running in Boredom were full.

Back