• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Specialty Training

unJon

Inactive
Reaction score
Currently I am an AME-S, considering joining the forces as an ACS tech. I have several years experience, including experience with CC-130's and working with the CFTO manuals. I have an ACA (aircraft certification authority) through my company, along with a host of other training courses they've provided.

My question is this: With the experience I have, will I be able to go directly into one of the specialty trades after BMQ? NDT is the one I'm most interested in. I've asked a couple different recruiters this question, and neither of them seemed to know. Any insight on this would be most appreciated!

I dont think you could go direcly into a trade unless you have all the qualifications required to do that job, they might credit you some time so you can be promoted to Cpl early based on the qualifications you have that are directly related to the trade you chose. For example if you are a Machinist and want to be a ACS tech they may credit you a few months of time and that could mean you will be promoted to Cpl early and also get Spec pay early.

The only requirements I can find for specialty training is on the ACS job description sheet, which says, "Personnel who demonstrate the required ability and ambition can undertake advanced military occupational training......." So perhaps my best course would be to apply and sort it out with my interviewer.

What you read refers to courses that we can take once we are a ACS tech working at a unit, for example the special metals welding course, the advanced composite course or the advanced machining course.

As a ACS tech you will learn Metal working, Machining and refinishing ( you probably already know this) if you have qualifications in any of these they may give you a few months of time credited and they may or may not exempt you from doing the training in Borden it will depend on the level of qualifications you have. This is something that the interviewer should look into for you because you will want to know what if anything they feel you training is worth before you sign up.

So NDT would be a series of courses that you take to augment your current skillset; not to move into a different trade? Are there not people who are solely dedicated to NDT? Thank you for all your help so far.

NDT is a trade all on its own, if you have "tickets" for NDT im sure you could get time credited to you and possibly go directly into it after basic if you Quals meet the requirements of a NDT TQ3

NDT is a separate trade unto itself, I believe the only trades that are eligible to apply are AVN/ACS/AVS.

You'll need a minimum period of service in one of these trades before you can even apply for the transfer. I can't recall what the min time required is, but I've been told that 10 years of experience will make you a competitive candidate, take this for what it's worth.

Here's a link identifying the requirements for OT via COTP and NDT Tech in particular:

http://www.army.gc.ca/1asg_hq/BPSO1/COTP.htm

COTP Minimum Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to apply for COTP, the member:

Must have completed 48 months of continuous service by 31 December of the year in which the application is made.

Must meet appropriate medical category for desired MOC. For those MOCs requiring an aircrew medical, this testing will be done after merit board selection.

Must be QL4 qualified in current MOC.

Must be Pte/Cpl or if MCpl or above, must be willing to relinquish rank and pay to Cpl.

Must meet specific requirements for MOC desired (as detailed below).

Members in Combat Arms MOCs with less than 48 months continuous service may be able to apply to COTP MOCs if they meet the LOTP minimum time requirements.

532 Non Destructive Testing Technician

Must be QL5A qualified in one of the following MOC's:
                                  514 AVN Tech.

526 AVS Tech.

565 ACS Tech.

921 Ammo Technician.

No specific requirements

Thank you cp140tech, that is great info.

So chances are, I will need to serve as an ACS tech for several years before I can think of transferring to NDT. I have developed a real interest in the trade (and not just because of the  potential money in it), and I would love to get into it through the CF. 

I work with an ex-CF NDT tech at my current job, and he says that the demand is high for NDT in the CF, since most techs get into NDT about 10 years in. It takes about five years to get all the training and tickets, and by then, the CF will get only about five years of service out of the tech before he/she retires with pension to pursue a lucrative civilian position.

Good day,
I AM an NDT tech in the CF....
All of the above information is true.
If you need any more detailed info, give me a shout. I'd be happy to answer any and all questions.
Robin
dodgedeora@yahoo.ca

Back