• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special forces veterans proud of history

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1084747&auth=BY+STEPHEN+UHLER%2c+STAFF+WRITER

Members of Devil's Brigade meet their modern-day counterparts
Posted By BY STEPHEN UHLER, STAFF WRITER

They all consider themselves members of an elite brotherhood, separated by only 60 plus years of experience.

On Friday afternoon, members of the Canadian Special Operations Regiment or CSOR played host to a small group of special guests at the Jubilee Lodge, veterans of the First Special Service Force, the legendary joint Canadian/U. S. unit known as the Devil's Brigade.

The SSF, a precursor to today's special forces, fought with distinction during the Second World War, serving in Italy, but also taking part in operations in Alaska and France.

The informal gathering was held several hours before CSOR's regimental dinner, and served to further cement the close bonds between the SSF veterans and their modern counterparts.

CSOR formed in 2006, and just recently received permission to accept the SSF's battle honours from the Canadian section of the unit, strengthening the historic ties between the two. Now, CSOR has singled out four members of the Devil's Brigade by naming unit trophies after them.

The Sgt. William "Sam" McGee, Sgt. Charlie Mann, Lt. Col. JFR Akehurst and Sgt. Herb Peppard Awards are being inaugurated at this year's dinner, each of which will recognize individual excellence in soldiering within CSOR.

Mr. Mann, Mr. McGee and Mr. Peppard were on hand to take part in this moment; Donald Akehurst was invited to Petawawa to represent his late father Lt. Col. Akehurst.

Addressing the gathering, Col. Jamie Hammond, CSOR commander, said his unit is proud to acknowledge those who went before them, and creating these awards is another step.

"We put these together to honour the kind of things you did before us," he said, which serve as examples for all soldiers to follow.

Each of the trophies' namesakes had distinguished himself in the service, which made it a difficult task to select just four SSF members, Col. Hammond said, for all members of the unit were exemplary.

Still, working closely with the First Special Service Force Association, a list of four was compiled.

"Each represents the types of attributes we want to recognize in our people," he said.

Mr. Mann thanked CSOR, saying he is extremely proud to be selected for this honour, especially by a unit which is a successor to the Special Service Force.

"It's great to know we have a unit like CSOR," he said. "You are so much like us in the SSF it is hard to tell us apart."

Mr. McGee echoed the sentiment, telling the soldiers gathered around what a joy it is to see them.

"It is great to see you here today following in our footsteps," he said.

Mr. Akehurst said his father never spoke about his experiences with the Devil's Brigade, but he learned what kind of man he was by attending reunions with him.

"I got such a strong impression from those who served with him," he said, as everyone who talked about Lt. Col. Akehurst described him as a soldier's soldier.

"I really appreciate being here today to represent him," Mr. Akehurst said.

Jack Calloway and George Simms, both veterans of the SSF who were in attendance, said they appreciated all that CSOR has been doing to keep the traditions alive.

"We're the first band of brothers," Mr. Calloway said, "and after 60 years, we still get together, and we still remember."

Mr. Simms, who first saw CFB Petawawa as a 17-year-old reservist on the eve of the Second World War, said there is no doubt the veterans are all very proud to see this new regiment carry on.

He said there's 102 Canadians left from of the original Special Service Force, so "we're very proud to be passing on our colours and traditions to you."

http://trurodaily.com/index.cfm?sid=144701&sc=68

Award being named after Truro veteran
Sgt. Herbert Peppard Silver Star Award to be presented annually to a deserving Canadian soldier

COLIN MACLEAN
The Truro Daily News

TRURO — Sitting with Herb Peppard at the kitchen table of his Truro home, it’s almost easy to forget this man is part of military
history.
But come June 20 that factor is going to be a lot easier to remember. That’s when Peppard, along with three other members of his old unit, the First Special Service Force (FSSF), will have military awards named after them.
“Every year my name will be on that award that’s given to a deserving soldier,” said, Peppard, 85.
That news reached the Alice Street resident earlier this month, along with an invitation to attend a ceremony in Ontario. Both took him completely by surprise.
A new unit, labelled the Canadian Special Operations Regiment CSOR) will be absorbing the battle honours of the FSSF (known in some circles as the Black Devils) and will also be naming some of their awards after their predecessors.
“I feel very honoured,” Peppard said during a chat in his kitchen. “I really got choked up when I found out.”
Correspondence from the regiment indicates that the Sergeant Herbert Peppard Silver Star Award will be presented annually to a soldier who best demonstrates – through action and conduct – the attributes and spirit of a special forces soldier.
Their surviving comrades and current members of the CSOR chose the four namesake award candidates.
“You were selected for this honour by the living members of the FSSF and by CSOR,” Peppard’s letter states. “It is a testament to the man you are and the inspiration you remain today.”
For Peppard, the experience is humbling, especially given that he was selected by his peers and fellow comrades.
“I was amazed that they picked me, I never thought of myself as that good of a soldier, ‘cause I had so many AWOL’s (absent without leave) against me.”
That sentiment, he said, was shared by at least one of his superiors, who once observed: “It appears to me you soldier when you want to and you take leave when you want to.”
But Peppard has done more than his fair share of soldiering, including fighting in Italy and helping to conquer Rome over the Germans during the Second World War; carrying the dead and taking a bullet wound in his side.
Today, Peppard continues to be active in his community through a variety of volunteer efforts and at the local legion, which remains close to his heart.
“I’m a proud member of the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 26, Truro,” he said.
Peppard will be leaving within the next few days for Pembroke, Ont., where he will make the inaugural presentation of his namesake award to another deserving
soldier.

Herb's trophy is a remarkable one. It was presented to a NCM of the Regiment whose actions and conduct best exemplifies the spirit of a special operations NCM.

It is probably the coolest looking trophy in NATO.

CSOR honours several First Special Service Force members

by Jennifer Pickett

The Canadian Special Operations Regiment, CSOR, honoured several First Special Service Force, FSSF, veterans during a reception on June 20.
The event provided an opportunity for FSSF veterans to interact with their unit’s Canadian descendants.
Four members of the legendary “Devil’s Brigade” were honoured with trophies that have been dedicated to them for their service to the FSSF.
Receiving the honour were Sergeant William “Sam” Magee, Sergeant Charlie Mann, Lieutenant-Colonel J.F.R Akehurst and Staff Sergeant G.H Peppard.
Mann said he was completely flabbergasted when he found out an award was named in his honour.
“It is a tremendous honour and something I certainly didn’t expect,” said Mann.
“I have tried to maintain a relationship between the old force and the new, which may be what contributed to this high honour.”
The veterans have been chosen because of their dedication and gallantry during their service, and have received many decorations between them during time served including a Silver Star, the third highest American award.
“These guys and what they did in WWII inspires Canadian troops today,” said CSOR Commanding Officer LCol Jamie Hammond.
“It gives them a level to aspire to because that is the same level of soldier with the same dedication that we recruit today.”
The trophies will be awarded to a member of CSOR each year as a way to honour and remember their lineage.

Back