• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

South Alberta Light Horse Regiment to amalgamate with larger reserve force

The actual difference between armoured recce soldiers and infantry in the field is a question of task not training.

How. Dare. You.

checking blood and oil GIF

I find this discussion...tiring, repetitive, tiresome, futile...and delusional.

I served as a Company Commander in one of the most famous Regiments in the British Empire. The Royal Green Jackets. Born from the the 60th. The Original Chosen men. They no longer exist, because that made...sense in terms of Force Generation and Force Employment...you know...our jobs.

When I served with the SD+G in the 90s. I was struck by the fact that if we amalgamated the Glens, the Brocks, and the PDubs, we would actually have a Battalion...and proposed a River Regt. I was told in very indignant terms that the history of the Glens was not to be sullied by such talk, and that I should gaze with awe upon the picture of the Glens arriving on D Day Plus 2 with bicycles.

So...that Bn had a Bn HQ and a Coy from the Glens, a Coy of Brocks, and a Coy of PDubs. So, good enough for D Day, but not for Mo Land 50-60 years later.

Hmmm.

I find this discussion...tiring, repetitive, tiresome, futile...and delusional.

I served as a Company Commander in one of the most famous Regiments in the British Empire. The Royal Green Jackets. Born from the the 60th. The Original Chosen men. They no longer exist, because that made...sense in terms of Force Generation and Force Employment...you know...our jobs.

When I served with the SD+G in the 90s. I was struck by the fact that if we amalgamated the Glens, the Brocks, and the PDubs, we would actually have a Battalion...and proposed a River Regt. I was told in very indignant terms that the history of the Glens was not to be sullied by such talk, and that I should gaze with awe upon the picture of the Glens arriving on D Day Plus 2 with bicycles.

So...that Bn had a Bn HQ and a Coy from the Glens, a Coy of Brocks, and a Coy of PDubs. So, good enough for D Day, but not for Mo Land 50-60 years later.

Hmmm.
Politics and force structures make strange bedfellows.

Politics and force structures make strange bedfellows.
Except we say there is enormous political power with the honouraries. They are actually an impressive group of (on the whole, and with a dose of charity) people with surprisingly little national or even regional political leverage...especially in a country where neither the voters nor the politicians give even a micro-fuck about the military.

So. What is the worst that can happen? Someone will write a letter to the local paper (if it exists anymore) about the outrageous treatment of the legacy of the Numpty Fuck Fusiliers. or Le Regiment de Quel'que Pars? And for that we will waste our time, effort, small P political capital, and energy? This country gets the military it deserves. and this military ensures that this country does not get the military it really deserves.

Unless things have changed, which I doubt, all pers admin, pay and career mgt etc, is done at the unit and Bde HQ, not Ottawa. Thus a great admin burden.

If we got rid of the ten Bde HQ's the Reg F would lose promotions for 10 LCols, 20 Majs and innumerable Capts for a start.

Don't know how many armouries still have three Composite Messes anymore. Two seems to be the norm. Other than the hug and slug, the Messes are dying so you can throw out that "drinking club" analogy.
Keep the abolish/combine the messes. Have you visited your local armoury recently?

Except we say there is enormous political power with the honouraries. They are actually an impressive group of (on the whole, and with a dose of charity) people with surprisingly little national or even regional political leverage...especially in a country where neither the voters nor the politicians give even a micro-fuck about the military.

So. What is the worst that can happen? Someone will write a letter to the local paper (if it exists anymore) about the outrageous treatment of the legacy of the Numpty Fuck Fusiliers. or Le Regiment de Quel'que Pars? And for that we will waste our time, effort, small P political capital, and energy? This country gets the military it deserves. and this military ensures that this country does not get the military it really deserves.
Majority have NO service! Just toe the local political line dressed as Regtl tradition. Talk about false gods.

Keep the abolish/combine the messes. Have you visited your local armoury recently?
Isn't that what I stated? Composite Mess is combined i.e. Offrs/WO & Sgts
Don't know how many armouries still have three Composite Messes anymore. Two seems to be the norm. Other than the hug and slug, the Messes are dying so you can throw out that "drinking club" analogy.

Meanwhile, in the air side of things, 419 Sqn (the lead-in trg sqn for the Hornets) just folded with little resistance.

Meanwhile, in the air side of things, 419 Sqn (the lead-in trg sqn for the Hornets) just folded with little resistance.

Good point, but I will add that the squadron will eventually be 'reactivated'.

"While the squadron is on hiatus from operations, LCol Kean says that its personnel will support other units at 4 Wing Cold Lake, Alta., awaiting the planned reactivation of the squadron in the early 2030s. Until then, the squadron will remain administratively active, so that it can resume its role as the RCAF’s Tactical Fighter Training Squadron."

"While the squadron is on hiatus from operations, LCol Kean says that its personnel will support other units at 4 Wing Cold Lake, Alta., awaiting the planned reactivation of the squadron in the early 2030s. Until then, the squadron will remain administratively active, so that it can resume its role as the RCAF’s Tactical Fighter Training Squadron."

Suppose we never bring fighter lead in training back to Canada? With an 88 aircraft fighter fleet, what would be the point in having a separate training system from the Americans?

So the RCAF will shift its structure to meet operational realities. How novel.

RCAF Squadrons have histories and traditions, but they are not understood to be necessarily permanent fixtures. They come; they go; they get new aircraft and roles…
Exactly.

If you meet an RCAF veteran, chances are they will say they are a proud [insert trade] or [insert fleet] person, rather than the Army’s focus on units.

So why not nil strength every PRes Infantry regiment and re number them as companies. Or whatever method you choose to name them.

Back