• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sophie to Visit Her Regiment

Bill Smy

Inactive
Reaction score
Ready to welcome royalty

By Don Fraser
St Catharines Standard
Local News - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 @ 01:00

Sophie, Countess of Wessex, is all smiles during the Surrey Heath Charity Golf Day at the Camberley Golf Club in England late last month. The countess will be in Niagara this weekend.

Photo: CP File Photo by David Hartley, Rex Features
A training exercise, a church service and an investiture are among the events planned in St. Catharines and Niagara-on-the-Lake during a whirlwind royal tour this weekend.

Royal Family watchers may not have many chances to see Sophie, Countess of Wessex, however. All appearances, except one, are so far by invitation only.

The countess, who is married to Queen Elizabeth's youngest son, Prince Edward, is visiting Niagara as the new colonel-in-chief of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment.

The countess was appointed colonel-in-chief last Oct. 13, which was the same date Sir Isaac Brock fell during the Battle of Queenston Heights in 1812.

She is also the first person to hold the appointment in the history of the storied regiment, which has been in the region for more than 200 years.

"This appointment is of historical importance for the Niagara region,â ? said Lt.-Col. Roy Dwyer, commanding officer of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment. He spoke Monday at a media event held at the Lake Street Armoury in St. Catharines.

"The Countess of Wessex is extremely and genuinely interested in her forthcoming visit to the regiment and Niagara region,â ? said Dwyer. "The regiment itself is looking forward to her inclusion in our regimental family and a long association as our colonel-in-chief.â ?

The main event will be a public ceremony at St. Catharines' Montebello Park Sunday morning in which the countess will be invested as the regiment's colonel-in-chief. The Lincoln and Welland Veterans Association and two regiment-affiliated cadet corps will also participate.

All other events in her Niagara schedule are private and by invitation only. According to the regiment, her itinerary is also tentative.

On Saturday, she'll be at a training exercise from about 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Homer Bridge area along the east bank of the Welland Canal.

According to a National Defence media release, the exercise will include at least one helicopter, blank ammunition, smoke canisters and other pyrotechnics.

The event is not public and Niagara Regional Police will be present to keep the people away from the training area.

Starting at about 3:15 p.m., the countess will attend a small civic reception at the old court house in Niagara-on-the-Lake, followed by a visit to Jackson-Triggs Niagara Estate Winery on Regional Road 55 from around 4 to 5 p.m.

"The visit to a winery I understand is a request from herself,â ? said Dwyer at the media conference. "She knows we are a wine-producing area and she's very much interested in seeing the wineries.â ?

A regimental dinner will be held by the Lincoln and Welland Foundation at Queen's Landing in Niagara-on-the-Lake at 7 p.m..

On Sunday at 10 a.m., she will attend a service at St. George's Anglican Church on Church Street in St. Catharines.

The Montebello Park investiture and parade is open to the public. The ceremony starts at 10:45 a.m. and continues until about noon and may include a public walk by the countess. People are asked to bring their own lawn chairs and seat themselves before the event starts.

At the park, the countess will help dedicate an Ontario Heritage plaque to the late Colonel Graham Thomson Lyall, a member of 19th Lincoln Regiment - a predecessor to the Lincoln and Welland regiment. Lyall was awarded the Victoria Cross for heroic duty during the First World War.

The plaque will be installed in the Lake Street Armoury's memorial garden.

The countess will not be joined in Niagara by her husband Prince Edward, who has public duties elsewhere in Ontario.

Dwyer said security for the weekend trip will include the countess' own security detail, with general assistance from the RCMP, NRP and Scotland Yard.

"We are excited and we're looking forward to the visit,â ? said St. Catharines Mayor Tim Rigby at the media conference.

"I've tried to learn the proper protocol and hopefully won't embarrass everybody by stumbling behind her, or something of that nature.â ?

Meanwhile, at Monday night's city council meeting, councillors agreed to waive the $2,200 in user fees for the use of Montebello Park and the city's portable stage.

"I am not really interested in helping the Royal Family so much because they have plenty of money,â ? said Port Dalhousie Councillor Bruce Williamson. "But if the seating is for veterans who served our country or for citizens who wish to attend, I can support it.â ?

The following is the tentative Niagara itinerary for Sophie, Countess of Wessex. Times are approximate and subject to change. All events are private, except Sunday morning's investiture and parade in Montebello Park.

Saturday, June 4

"¢ Between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., the Lincoln and Welland Regiment holds a field training exercise in the Homer Bridge area by the Welland Canal. The countess will attend the exercise and visit with the regiment.

"¢ About 3:15 p.m., a small civic reception is to be held at the old court house in Niagara-on-the-Lake, followed by a trip to Jackson Triggs Estate Winery from 4 to 5 p.m.

"¢ At 7 p.m., a regimental dinner, hosted by the Lincoln and Welland Foundation, takes place at Queen's Landing in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Sunday, June 5

"¢ At 10 a.m., the countess attends a service at St. George's Anglican Church on Church Street in St. Catharines.

"¢ From 10:45 a.m. until noon (approximately), the public investiture of the Countess of Wessex as colonel-in-chief of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment and other ceremonies will take place at Montebello Park, St. Catharines. The countess may also do a public walk. People must be in the park before 10:45 a.m. and provide their own lawn chairs.

Being one of the newer recruits to the unit, me and the recruit boys of 3 Section get to play "enemy force" along with the rest of Pat platoon on the Homer Bridge field excercise!!!  >:D We are doing a sort of "mock-battle" with blanks and the whole 9-yards, should be fun!

We'll get our butts kicked...

:)

Sophie meets her soldiers
'I feel part of this special family'

By Don Fraser
St Catharines Standard
Local News - Monday, June 06, 2005 @ 01:00

Sophie, Countess of Wessex, was clearly cheered by the sunny reception she received in Niagara over the weekend â ” especially at Montebello Park Sunday.

The countess, wife of Queen Elizabeth's youngest son, Prince Edward, was at the park to inspect the Lincoln and Welland Regiment and be installed as its first colonel-in-chief.

â Å“I'm enormously grateful to have had the chance to spend the past few days with the regiment,â ? Sophie told the regiment and the hundreds of onlookers who gathered in the park.

The ceremony followed the regiment's military exercises Saturday by the Welland Canal near the Homer Bridge, which were observed by Sophie.

â Å“Yesterday (Saturday), you displayed your abilities in the field with professionalism and today you have acquitted yourself on parade impressively,â ? she said.

â Å“You have welcomed me warmly, and for that I am very grateful. It makes the honour of being your colonel-in-chief all the more special.
â ?

The countess said it was a â Å“delightâ ? to be able to greet regiment veterans: â Å“It ... is a perfect opportunity to pay tribute to the dedication and service they have given their country.â ?

She said it was important to thank the regiment for its service and â Å“remember also the many others who never returned home or who are no longer with us.

â Å“I am proud to be with you all, proud to be meeting my regiment for the first time ... proud to be your colonel-in-chief,â ? she added.

â Å“Although I may not (always) be with you in person, I feel part of this special family.â ?

About 300 to 400 people attended the event, which was preceded by at least five cadets being carried out of the park after succumbing to the day's heat and humidity.

Sophie also helped the Ontario Heritage Foundation unveil a plaque to commemorate Colonel Graham Lyall.

Lyall, a member of the 19th Lincoln Regiment in St. Catharines, a predecessor to the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, helped capture 182 enemy soldiers during the First World War and was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Heritage Foundation chairman Lincoln Alexander and St. Catharines Mayor Tim Rigby helped Sophie unveil the plaque at Montebello Park, but it will be installed in the Lake Street Armoury's memorial garden.

Welland Mayor Damian Goulbourne also attended the commemoration and park ceremonies. The regiment has a detachment in that city.

At the end of the event, the countess received a gift package of Henry of Pelham icewines from Rigby.

During Sophie's park walk-about around noon, several onlookers said they were struck by her poise and kindness.

â Å“I think she's dressed appropriately, I thinks she looks relaxed, she's enjoying herself,â ? said Dorothy Yates, a semi-retired St. Catharines accountant. â Å“And she's spent so much time talking to the veterans.

â Å“This visit is terrific,â ? said Yates. â Å“It's good for Canadian morale and it starts to feel that we really belong to the British Commonwealth.

â Å“It makes one feel like we're part of the family.â ?

Sergeant Ashleigh Pare, 16, of the 68 Lincoln and Welland Regiment Army Cadet Corps, also enjoyed Sunday's ceremony.

â Å“It was a really cool and good experience,â ? said Ashleigh, who attends Westpark Secondary School in St. Catharines.

Sophie also displayed some of her trademark humour when approached by St. Catharines royalist Stella Brown, who commented on how handsome her husband Edward was.

â Å“Yes, that's why I married him,â ? replied the countess.

In brief comments to The Standard, the countess, who has a background in public relations, said she enjoyed her visit to Niagara very much.

She said she would return to England with â Å“fond memoriesâ ? of time spent with the regiment.

Sophie, brought into the Royal family so young men would be interested in the monarchy....  ;)

Sophie, brought into the royal family so people would stop saying "Hmmm that Edward is a funny little duck, isn't he? What with the bombing out of the military and the fondness for the theatre"....

>:D

Sophie, brought into the Royal family so young men would be interested in the monarchy....  Wink

LMAO!!!!

No wonder the Lincs+Winks were so excited! We were all quite surprised, she was pretty. Not the typical monarchy type you'd think. She spoke with me on her way out from Montebello Park as I was doing crowd control. Your Royal Highness was very nice indeed, asked how long I've been in, if I really enjoyed it so far, said she was very glad to be spending time with the unit etc... Nice woman indeed. You folks should have seen her in combats! I think those were the freshest set I've ever seen, the cadpat was actually GREEN! Lol...

For those of you other Lincs+Winks out there, she mentioned she really enjoyed the "enemy force's" counter-attack and acting! Probably had something to do with the Section Commander's hand-axe....  >:D I was part of the counter-attack. Gotta love horse and pony shows, always fun.

She also ate IMP's with the unit if you can believe that!

Joe

She spoke with me on her way out from Montebello Park as I was doing crowd control.

I hope you gave her a "How you doing?" in your best Joey from Friends voice.

Gunner said:
I hope you gave her a "How you doing?" in your best Joey from Friends voice.

Hehe, not likely, the entire command staff+chain of command for my unit+more was RIGHT beside her... Staring at the newly minted (6months TI) recruit yakking with her... Nope, I spoke as best and proper I could! Who tatched me how to speakdid? My local highschool... Seemed good enough english for a real Duchess.

:cdn:

Back