• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some questions about applying for and joining the reserves

demize

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay, first off some of these questions will have been asked before - however, it's hard to discuss them if all I'm doing is reading through old threads. Furthermore, things change, and people's situations are different, and I'm only asking these because I want answers for my specific situation. As I write questions down here, I'll do a search for them, don't worry, but that doesn't mean I'll find anything relevant.

Quick note first: I'm guaranteed to be CV3, so that eliminates most of the trades. Before looking at CV requirements, I had it down to Combat Engineer, but Infantry would probably have been my second choice. I'll be applying for an infantry position in the 32 CBG. I'm not limited to that though - I'm not very knowledgeable about the trades in the CF, particularly ones in the 32 CBG where being CV3 isn't a problem, so I'm open to suggestions if you want to give any. I'm happy with infantry though.

First of all, what exactly do I need to do to apply for the reserves? I've read the information on forces.ca, and I've also spoken with a recruiter from the 32 CBG, and they seem to have different ideas. The Forces website says to contact your desired unit first, and I believe I've seen information on unit's websites saying to fill out the paperwork and send it to them directly. The recruiter said to apply online, and go to a CFRC to fill out a hard copy or it won't get processed, and when I asked about sending the paperwork to the unit he said it wasn't necessary. So, the question here is basically Do I need to go to a CFRC after applying online to fill out a hard copy of the application? If no, will it still be beneficial? Also, since there are multiple infantry brigades in the 32 CBG, is it important that I know which I want to be a part of or can the CFRC help me with that/put me in one?

Secondly, my research indicates that BMQ is either held in the summer or on weekends. It also indicates that it's far too late to even think about doing BMQ in the summer (since it started 10 days ago), I'd just like to know how BMQ on the weekends works. Can you start any weekend or are there set input dates? And since this seems like an appropriate place to sneak this in, I know your uniforms are loaned and you're issued ID tags and an ID card, but I've got a couple simple questions: Do your uniforms get name patches or anything? I wouldn't expect them to if they're on loan. As for ID tags, does it typically take long for them to be made? I've seen people on here complain that they didn't get any for years, and people say they got theirs in a few weeks or less.

And the last question I have for now is simply when I should apply. I need to get reasonably fit before I apply, I know that much, but my living situation poses a slight problem if I want to apply any time before September. I currently live just north of Highway 9, so the online application will only let me choose Barrie as my preferred CFRC. However, Toronto is just as easy (or easier) for me to get to, and I'll be moving there in September to start college anyway. If I can get myself up to fitness standards where I'm willing to apply to join the reserves before September, would it be better to apply then? Or after I move? I'm not very out of shape right now (I just need to work on my upper body for pushups and endurance for running), so would it maybe be better to apply now?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. And if your response is anything other than "Use the search function," then thank you for replying. I've already made up my mind to join the reserves, so anything you say now will just help me out in the process of joining.

This thread may be of some help.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/108457/post-1191929/topicseen.html#msg1191929

demize said:
First of all, what exactly do I need to do to apply for the reserves? I've read the information on forces.ca, and I've also spoken with a recruiter from the 32 CBG, and they seem to have different ideas. The Forces website says to contact your desired unit first, and I believe I've seen information on unit's websites saying to fill out the paperwork and send it to them directly. The recruiter said to apply online, and go to a CFRC to fill out a hard copy or it won't get processed, and when I asked about sending the paperwork to the unit he said it wasn't necessary. So, the question here is basically Do I need to go to a CFRC after applying online to fill out a hard copy of the application? If no, will it still be beneficial? Also, since there are multiple infantry brigades in the 32 CBG, is it important that I know which I want to be a part of or can the CFRC help me with that/put me in one?

You need to apply by either doing it online or submitting an application to the unit recruiter or in your case the 32 CBG recruiter. If you fill it out online you do not need to fill out a hard copy as the process will begin. If you want to be infantry you are best of finding one that interests you and is probably close to where you will be living. Also the number of positions for each unit is different and no one is going to tell you how many positions are available at each unit. Alos its multiple infantry units within 32 CBG not multple infantry brigrades.

Secondly, my research indicates that BMQ is either held in the summer or on weekends. It also indicates that it's far too late to even think about doing BMQ in the summer (since it started 10 days ago), I'd just like to know how BMQ on the weekends works. Can you start any weekend or are there set input dates? And since this seems like an appropriate place to sneak this in, I know your uniforms are loaned and you're issued ID tags and an ID card, but I've got a couple simple questions: Do your uniforms get name patches or anything? I wouldn't expect them to if they're on loan. As for ID tags, does it typically take long for them to be made? I've seen people on here complain that they didn't get any for years, and people say they got theirs in a few weeks or less.

There are set dates for weekend BMQ your unit will advise you of this once you are in. Uniforms have your last name on it with velcro. ID tags are something you should not be concerned with at this time as you have far to go. You will get one when you get one if you get in.

And the last question I have for now is simply when I should apply. I need to get reasonably fit before I apply, I know that much, but my living situation poses a slight problem if I want to apply any time before September. I currently live just north of Highway 9, so the online application will only let me choose Barrie as my preferred CFRC. However, Toronto is just as easy (or easier) for me to get to, and I'll be moving there in September to start college anyway. If I can get myself up to fitness standards where I'm willing to apply to join the reserves before September, would it be better to apply then? Or after I move? I'm not very out of shape right now (I just need to work on my upper body for pushups and endurance for running), so would it maybe be better to apply now?

I would suggest being fit enough to pass the fitness test and then some. Get your application underway. Once you have submitted it and make contact you can inform them that Toronto is closer and easier for you. You should also expect the timeline for your application to take some time not just a month or two.

Teager said:
Alos its multiple infantry units within 32 CBG not multple infantry brigrades.

Thanks, I don't really know much about the terminology.

I would suggest being fit enough to pass the fitness test and then some.

Oh, that's the plan. I don't want to just meet the requirements.

Get your application underway. Once you have submitted it and make contact you can inform them that Toronto is closer and easier for you. You should also expect the timeline for your application to take some time not just a month or two.

I've got the online application filled out, I just need to submit it. I was thinking I should wait until I'm more fit to submit it, but would it be a few months before any testing is done? I was expecting the process to take some time, but the testing I did think would be fairly quick.

Hey buddy, I will be happy to share all the information I have on the process of enrollment into the reserves as I have been through it and almost finished it.
First off, find a unit that you would like to join, as for me, I applied for the Lorne Scots A coy infantry unit. Once you found a unit you would like to join, contact the unit recruiter and ask them if they have any job positions available, if yes, you must obtain a letter from the recruiter or get the recruiter to send the CFRC an email to process you for THAT position available. I stress this because the CFRC told me they DON'T hire reservists, they only process them based on the unit's request. Once you found a unit, get the letter, you must take your application personally to the CFRC, and I suggest you to do this personally as online takes longer. When I applied, I was scheduled for my CFAT and interview 2 weeks later. I then did my physical than medical, which I finished July 2nd. I am now waiting to be sworn into the CF. Good luck mate and don't stress about it.
PS: The physical to be honest was really easy, if you can do at least 25 push ups right now, you are fine (the minimum is 19). I suggest also you start the process FAST as every day you wait, is another opportunity lost.
Just my 2 cents. Cheers mate.

Your best bet is to see a unit recruiter and go from there as DarkInfantry said. If your in Toronto you may want to pop by the CNE once it begins in August as the military normally has a display and they may even have recruiters there.

Back