• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some Hints for Commanding Officers

Bill Smy

Inactive
Reaction score
Some Hints for Commanding Officers​

May 24, 1755

It may be needless to observe that  Commanding Officer setting out without a Sufficiency of Provisions and Stores is going to work without Tools, of all which the utmost car is top be taken, and well guarded, because a sudden supply will be difficult, if not impossible.

Make sure of a safe retreat in case of accident; the Battle is not always to the strong.

If you gain Victory, be more upon your guard.

If you loose, don’t despair.

Let nothing ruffle your Temper, be always cool happen what will.

Let no disappointment cool your Courage, but on the Contrary exert yourself the more, disappointments create experience, and this an officer.

At no time shew any diffidence or fear in your Countenance.

By all means get the esteem and affection of your officers and Men, but they ought at the same time to know your Command; there is a difference between power and authority.

Distinguish a brave man, and reward a gallant action upon the spot.

Be careful of your sick men, and visit them some time yourself.

Spare no cost for Intelligence.

Do not go to sleep till your Camp is well secured, and this you must see yourself.

Do not encamp but where the water is good.

When you make presents to the Indians let them be such as will be most acceptable to their Wives and Mistresses.

That all Prisoners especially Indians be sent to New York, you will find the benefit of it in the Event.

You may have occasion for Irons for some sort of Prisoners.

Carry with you a few Conck Shells, if a party should be dispersed, or a Man lost in the woods, the shell will let them  know where they are, and will be heard as far as a Gun, and further than a Drum, by either of which they may be deceived; by the other they cannot, as it is not very probable the enemy will carry anything of that kind.

If you should come to a Parly get Hostages as soon as you can.

The hours of a Parley are dangerous for Surprizes.

Prayers have often a good effect, especially among New England men, a well gifted New England Parson, might therefore be a useful implement.

Great care to be taken about your Sentries, especially in the Night, and each to have a watchfull Dog, and supported by other Out Guards.

A General officer must keep a good Table.

Engage in no Action of importance w3ithout the advice of a Council of War; and let every thing, and every one’s opinion, be carefully noted, this will Justify you upon all occasions.
The University of the State of New Your. The Paper of Sir William Johnson (Albany, 1921) Volume 1, pp 539-540.

Sir William Johnson:-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Johnson,_1st_Baronet

Military Instructions of Frederick the Great

http://www.pattonhq.com/militaryworks/frederick.html

And... some more contemporary material from Hackworth

-"Every time I walked the line I'd find troopers asleep. One snoozer weakens the whole defense. (If I found a trooper asleep) I'd sneak up and toss the guy on the trench or bunker floor; he’d wake up with my trench knife against his throat. "If I were the (enemy) you'd be a dead son of a bitch!" Then I'd bring in the whole chain of command so every responsible leader got into the act; I'd call in the kid's squad and platoon leaders and, on the spot, have them explain why he was sleeping. NCOs and officers started patrolling their sectors like cops on a beat. Finally I came up with the ultimate punishment: habitual sleepers would man the outposts. Nobody would dare screw off there."

http://www.hackworth.com/aboutfaceextracts.html

6 Mar 42

Some General Notes on What to Look for When Visiting a Unit

1. The underlying object is obviously to find out what the CO is worth, and generally if it is a good or a bad unit.  The method adopted, and the length of time it will take, will depend entirely on the inspecting officer's own military knowledge, on his own experience in actual command, and generally on whether he can be "bluffed" by the CO.

2. Most CO's will want to lay on a tour of the unit area, looking at the training and so on.  This would be quite suitable for a later visit.  But for the first visit, if you really want to find out all about the unit there is only one way to do it.  And that is to sit with the CO in his orderly room and cross-examine him on certain points which are "key" points, and which will show at once whether or not he knows his job.  The Brigadier should be present, but no one else.  The CO is then put through once.  The CO will welcome such an interview and will learn a great deal from it.  On no account must he be bullied or rattled.  The great point is to show him his difficulties and worries and to help him.  I have found all CO's in the Canadian Corps most friendly, and very willing to tell me how they run their show.  It is very important that the CO should realize early in the proceedings that you really do know what you are talking about, it is quite easy to show him this by cross-examining him on some point of detail about which he probably thinks you know nothing.  Once he sees this, he will be perfectly frank and will welcome any ideas you may give him.  Both parties will learn a great deal from this discussion-the visiting officer and the CO.  And so will the Brigadier.  And all the time you are summing up the CO and finding out what he knows.  It must all be friendly and natural from the beginning; you then get the CO's confidence; this is most important.

3. An investigation into the following points will show you at once what the unit is worth, and if the CO knows his job:

a. The system of selection, promotion, and inspection of NCO's.  This is a very important point, and its importance is not always realised by the CO's.  The NCO's are the backbone of the battalion; a good solid foundation must be built up on the L/Cpl level, and the standard of this foundation must be the CO's standard and NOT five different company standards.  The CO must interest himself directly in everything connected with his NCO's and WO's;

b. Organization of individual training, ie., training of the rank and file.  The usual fault here is that men are not graded before the training begins, and put in to categories in accordance with their knowledge and efficiency.  This must always be done, so as to ensure that men get instruction in accordance with their needs.  The principle of piece work is also very important;

c. Training of the NCO's.  The training of the NCO's in all duties in the field, tactical and administrative, must be carried out by the Coy Comds.  The Adjutant and the RSM must take a very definite hand in keeping the NCO's up to the mark, in instruction in discipline matters, and generally in ensuring that the non-commissioned ranks are a credit to the battalion, are able to maintain a high standard in all matters, are not afraid of the men, and are trained on for promotion;

d. Training of the Officers.  The CO must handle this himself, personally.  No one else can do it for him.  He must do it himself.  The best results are obtained when the CO has an officers day once a week.  Officers have to be taught the stage-management of the various operations of war, the technique of movement, the co-operation of all arms in battle, the technique of reconnaissance and deployment, administration in the field, and so on; and

e. Organization and conduct of collective training.  Before beginning Coy or Bn.  Training the CO must issue instructions as to how it is to be done.  He should assemble his officers and lay down:

(1) The object of the training;
(2) The principles on which it is to be based;
(3) The standard aimed at;
(4) The phases of war to be studied;
(5) His views on operations by night; and
(6) How he wishes the time available to be used.
etc.

The great point in collective training is to mix the training.  During platoon training the whole company should go out once a week. During the company training the whole battalion should go out once every ten days or so. During Battalion training the whole Brigade should go out once a fortnight. This is far better than having long periods devoted separately to each subject.

The next point is that when you embark on unit training every exercise must include the dusk and the dawn.  These are the times when things happen in war. A small number of exercises lasting 24 hours or more are much better than a large number of short exercises.  The exercise lasting from after breakfast till tea-time is of little use.  A good exercise is one that tests out the administrative arrangements, and involves the dusk and the dawn.

During collective training the following operations must be taught and practised:

(1) The set-piece attack, ie., the Brigade battle;
(2) Breaking down the Brigade battle and carrying on the advance by means of resolute fighting in self-contained groups of all arms;
(3) The dusk attack;
(4) The night attack;
(5) Forcing the crossing of obstacles;
(6) Re-organization and holding the ground gained;
(7) Disengagement and withdrawal;
(8) Defensive tactics; and
(9) Counter-attacks.

Teaching "Training" as Distinct from Teaching "War".

4. It is the exception to find a commander who teaches his subordinates how to train troops.  The FSR we have laid down the principles of training; officers are supposed to know all about this subject; actually, very few know anything about it and a great deal of time is wasted in consequence.Training is a great art; there are principles of training just as there are principles of war.  Training in war time must be carried out somewhat differently to training in peacetime, as we have to be ready to meet the enemy at any time.

5. In the training of his unit the CO has got to consider the following points:

a. Training of the rank and file;

b. Training of the NCO's in their duties as leaders;

c. Training of the officers;

d. Organization and conduct of collective training generally;

e. The best way to run sub-unit training, ie., platoon and company training; and

f. Battalion training.

If he will think it out on these lines he has got a firm basis from which to start.

6. But he will do no good in his in his training unless he realises very clearly the importance of the following basic points, and has a good system for carrying them out:

a. Interior economy and administration, and life generally within the unit; and

b. The training of the leaders, ie., the officers and the NCO's.

Some CO's realize the necessity for training the officers; not a great many, but only some.  Very few bother about the NCO's; in fact practically none.  But the NCO's are the backbone of the unit; the whole question of their selection, promotion, instruction, and welfare must be on good and sound lines.  Sgts Messes are very important.

The RSM

7. The RSM is one of the most important people in the unit.  I always ask to see the RSM, treat him like an officer, and shake hands with him.  When inspecting the S. Saskatchewan Regt. I called the RSM out in front and shook hands with him in front of the whole Bn; It may seem a small point but in my view it means a great deal. The RSM is the senior non-commissioned rank in the unit; his authority over the NCO's is supreme, and he must be backed up and given opportunities to pull his weight.  He should frequently assemble the WO's and NCO's by Coys and address them, getting across to them various points in the daily life of the unit that wants attention. He and the Adjutant should work together as a team; and they should go out together round the battalion area whenever they can, keeping an eye on the general show. It is very difficult, in fact practically impossible, to have a good cadre of NCO's without a good RSM.

Visiting Collective Training

8. When visiting a unit on inter-Bde exercise, or a Divisional exercise, you want to be clear as to what you want to find out.  Generally I suggest that this will be as follows:

a. What the commander is worth, and whether he is able to handle his ship when in full sail in a rough sea;

b. Whether his machinery for exercising command is good, and runs smoothly; and

c. Broadly, how the formation or unit re-acts.  Does it answer to the helm, or is it awkward and unsteady in a rough sea?

As far as the Corps Commander is concerned, or in fact any senior or general officer, the above points are the ones that really matter.  The points of detail such as the minor tactics, the fieldcraft, and so on, are the province of subordinate commanders.  If you want to get a line on this it can be done by getting a staff officer to watch the operation in the front line and to keep an eye on such things as:

a. technique of movement;

b. deployment;

c. battle drill;

d. quick manoeuvre;

e. outflanking tactics;

f. sub-unit tactics generally; and

g. cooperation with other arms on the sub-unit level.

9. As regards para 8a and 8b, the points here are:

a. What orders did the commander receive?

b. What did he know about the enemy when he received those orders? and

c. What orders did he then give?

Once you have got this from the commander himself, then you are well on the way to what you want to find out. You then go as follows:

d. What are his present dispositions?

e. What is his view as to the general situation, ie., how does he view the problem? and

f. What are his plans for future action?

A few questions as to the layout of his HQ, and a quick round tour of his HQ, follows.  I should then leave him.

10. As regards para 8c, you now visit the next commander below, eg. if para 9 has been done with a Brigadier you visit one of the forward battalion HQ.  There you go for the same points as outlined in para 9.

11. You have now got the answer to what you want to know.  But you want to check up on it, so you must find out from the Director when some important change or event in the battle is about to take place.  There may be a movement when a very fast ball is going to be bowled at the commander of one side. You want to be in on this, and study the reactions.  In particular it is a good thing if you can be present when the commander is giving out his orders; by listening to this you will find out a good deal.

12. In general the art lies in being at the right place a the right time, and knowing when that time is. The next point is to get all your information from the commander himself.  You want to sum him up; therefore you must deal with him personally.  If he is out, you must chase him till you find him. The last point is to remember what is the object of your visit; see para 8.  You will not have time to also visit sub-units in the front line; if you want a line on how they are working, send some other officer to get that information for you.

[signed] B.L. Montgomery
Lieutenant-General
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief
South Eastern Command

THAT'S SOLDIERING

There seems to be a great deal of confusion, doubt and uncertainty in the minds of many soldiers, whether they be officers, sergeant majors, or sergeants, about some age old and important topics such as discipline and leadership, and it would be strange if it were no so with all the changes taking place nowadays.

When we discuss these matters, I always try to get away from clutter and the doubt by reminding ourselves of what is the first duty of an officer.  It was clearly defined by the great Duke of Wellington.  Now as soon as I say that, up go the eye-brows and they say, "Hello, here we go again, we're back at Waterloo! “But he was a very wise man.  When he was protesting that the amount of paper work in Spain was stopping his officers from carrying out their duties, he said, "The first duty of an officer is, and always has been to so train the men under his command that they without question beat any force opposed to them in the field."  I believe that it is true today and always will be true.  That is the important thing.  It cuts away a lot of the fog of doubt.

Nowadays, a lot of people regard discipline as a water-tight compartment.  You hear of it in the other two services, you hear of it in some of our corps, you hear it said in the Sergeant's Mess, "Oh, he's on the discip side."  Now this is to me arrant nonsense.

What is discipline?  Well, there is a definition which I always quote:  "A moral, mental and physical state in which all ranks respond to the will of the commander whether he is there or not."  The key word there is "respond".

It was Napoleon, I think, who said that there are two levers for moving men, interest and fear, and you can take your pick.  Now obviously in young men and soldiers there is bound to be a certain amount of mild fear which doesn't do any harm:  fear of letting down himself or the team or the squad and fear of being late; but those are minor fears.

The instructor has to get the response he wants if he is going to achieve the ultimate, which is self-discipline.  I believe that the great thing about the British Army today is the encouragement to the young man to give his best, to do well and be interested.  There is far more of that in the Army today than in my opinion there ever was.

There are some armies which believe this awful principle:  that is to make a soldier, you must first make a man.  They say it.  This is their policy.  This is what they do.  The result may produce a soldier of sorts, but he would be a soldier of narrow outlook and it wouldn't work with the sons of this country, I'm sure.  If anybody does follow those principles, in my opinion, they are out for a great deal of trouble and very often get it. We believe that if you take the positive qualities of the soldier and develop them along the right lines to get the proper response and the encouragement, you will achieve the result you desire- the flexibility and the cheer- fullness which is so important in the soldier.

Thank goodness for a sense of humour, one of the characteristics of the British Army and the British soldier. There has never been a good instructor yet, a good sergeant major or sergeant, who didn't have a twinkle in his eye however fierce he may be. I must admit in mine it's lurking a bit far back these days, but it has got to be there somewhere.

Then there is this doubt about orders. First of all we must make sure that the orders are as few and as simple as possible and that the men understand what the leader is after. There is a great deal of lip service paid to this telling men "why". It doesn't mean to say that you've got to explain every single action that you want them to carry out. But if the explanation is made, if they are with you and understand your mind and what you are working for, they will obey the orders and they will see the sense behind them. If any order later on is not explained, they will at least believe and know that you have done it in good spirit and for the mutual benefit of all concerned.

As parachutists during the war, we were not allowed to carry marked maps when taking part in parachute operations or exercises. The reason is obvious. From a very interesting document, which is the translated German war diary of the Panzer Grenadiers and never meant for British eyes comes the following account.

On Sunday, 17th September 1944, when the first drops had been made and when he is thin on the ground in the town of Arnhem, the German commanding officer is wondering where to deploy his forces, where to hit us hard and quickly. He does not know whether we are going for a railway bridge or another bridge over the river, he does not know if we are going for the airfield.

Then we read: "Sunday- Battalion Headquarters- From maps found a captured British dispatch rider, we discover that the enemy has two main lines of advance: one along the railway cutting and one in the direction of the hotel to the north-west of Oosterbeek." He continues; “To be forewarned is to be forearmed."

One private soldier neglected to obey an order. I won't go into all implications of how it could have happened. Had the soldier had the habit
of obeying orders, and had it been that orders were seen to be obeyed in day to day life in the battalion, the chance of this happening would have been reduced a thousand-fold. Who can say by that one man disobeying an order how many lives were lost. What it cost the 1st Parachute Brigade in their effort to get to the bridge. There you see why we stern sergeants majors, the purveyors of the orders of the commanding officers, are so insistent that the orders, once issued, are intelligently obeyed to the letter.

We now get to the leadership of those who have learned their own self-discipline and appreciation of it. The great man, General Eisenhower gave a definition of leadership, "The art of leadership is getting somebody else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." Here again, we find the same themes, the same thought, the same background to discipline and leadership. The soldiers are being brought along, they are being encouraged, and they want to do these things.

Let me tell you a story of something that happened to me in the prison camp after the battle of Arnhem at Stalag 11B. Things were pretty bad and the men were in bad shape. It was a tremendous blow of course- a thing that never happens to you, like being run over by a bus- and the more spirited the soldiers are the bigger the blow it is to their pride. They were all wounded except a few, and I was very disturbed that they were not behaving as the British soldier normally behaves. They were doing, of course, exactly what the Germans wished them to do, and I wondered how we were going to get over this, but I didn't know. I'd been wounded in the arm and hadn't been able to salute the German officers which quite rightly, by the Geneva Convention, they insisted that we do.

The time came when my arm was all right and the next day I would have to salute so I thought that I had better explain to the little committee which always met quietly in one of huts that they would see me do this the next day, otherwise they might get the wrong idea. So I said, "Tomorrow I'm going up to the German Commandant when he comes into the compound and I'm going to pull in my tab and I'm going to salute him." They looked at me a bit suspiciously, these chaps. We had got to know each other fairly well by then, I said, "Do you know, I'm going to give him the best salute I've ever given an officer in my life," and the doubt increased in their eyes. I said, "But mind you, when I salute him I'm going to be saying something to myself:  I shall look him in the eye and when I salute I shall say to myself'B_______S'".
Well, I know it’s childish and crude, but spontaneous, and their eyes lit up and off they went.

Next morning the compound was full. I dressed up for the Commandant and saluted him and off the prisoners of war went and you'd never seen such saluting in your life, never. They were seeking out and saluting German officers a compound away. The Germans thought this was marvellous. But this is the point: from that moment on their shoulder squared back, their heads came erect and the light came in their eyes and the rehabilitation, the spirit and so on had started so that eventually we finished by taking over and controlling the camp. Five days before our relieving forces arrived, the good old 8th Hussars, we took over the camp from the Germans including the German Guard, and we handed the whole thing over as a going concern.

In these definitions which I have given you- the moral, mental and physical state in which all ranks respond to the will of the commander, whether he's there or not, and getting somebody else to do something you want done because he wants to do it there are always snags.

I agree with Emerson when he said, "Trust men and they will be true to you. Treat them greatly and they will show themselves great." Its jolly easy to say that and its jolly easy to think that all you've got to do is give an order. and, we go out and they get on with it. Well. It’s not so, because to do that, you've got to train with them, you've got to get to know one another, you've got to give of your best, and set the standards. Then you can trust them and they will trust you. You treat men greatly by briefing them properly or working with them or bringing them along in the right lines. Now that, I firmly believe, should be the approach of soldiers and leaders throughout all armies and all services.

It may be airy fairy and it may be wide in its approach, but if that basic principle is true then I believe that the other essential and probably the greatest essential in the officer is this: having got all things I've already mentioned, there must be one other quality in the leader, and that is honesty. He must be an honest man, and I'm not talking about financial affairs or anything like that now. He must be man - his belief must be well based - and then practicing what I have said about discipline and leadership all will be well.

Nowadays we get worried about being "idle". People are very suspicious about it in some places these days. Let's have a look at it. Outside the service "idle" means that a factory is doing no work at all, it's shut down and the machines are not turning over at all, or that a man is out of work. We don't mean that in the army. Goethe put this right. He gave the finest defin-
ition of idleness in the Army when he said, "That man is idle who can do something better". All the time in the drill we are trying to persuade the cadets of soldiers to give their best, and they do.

The split second thought and the split second action, how important are they? Loyalty to command - how do you learn loyalty to command? You get a sergeant, a fire eater, taking these young soldiers and making them get a move on, doing them a world of good, giving them mental showers - baths, a series of them several times a day. But they find very quickly, these young men, and they are the quickest to pick up, that this very chap is the one who has their interest at heart and is the one who's going to look after them and their welfare. He's the one, and probably for the first time in their lives they learn loyalty to command in drill if it's properly handled. That loyalty to command will become a habit and they will get loyalty to the commanding officer and company commander.

They learn directly and indirectly the value of censure and praise which is very important indeed and how to get the best out of young men. Some people say that it's very wrong to say "well done" to anybody. You give them a swollen head. Of course that's nonsense. As long as it's not done too often, as long as it's due to them, give them a pat on the back and it does both sides a world of good.

We must have cheerfulness and endurance in all circumstances. We don't want long faces walking about all over the place, everybody so highly tech-
nically skilled and so intense that there isn't a smile to light up the dull day.

Many young men have no sense of awareness at all. They see, but do they observe? You can prove to them that they don't and you can get them trained to. In these days with our ears bombarded with traffic in the cities, juke boxes, radio and television sets blaring out, very few people listen anymore. They hear but they do not listen. I get them on the square up here, standing to attention or standing at ease, and I say, "Now listen to the sounds of Sandhurst." It's amazing what sounds they pick up. Of course, you can see the importance of that quality in the platoon commander in the field.

In all this training, of course, we have the sergeants major and the sergeants. I think there is a grave danger of captains trying to do the sergeant major and sergeants' jobs. The core of the British Army, the sergeant major and the sergeant has been built up over centuries and generations. The officer, with all his other interests, quite rightly and properly lays down the policy and the sergeant major and the sergeant gets on with it. If they do no get on with it and some thing goes wrong, woe betide them, and that's fair enough because they were probably idle. This has built in the sergeant major and sergeant of the British Army, probably without them realizing it, a tremendous feeling of a sense of responsibility towards the regiment. If this is ever taken away, and if you don't trust men, they may not be true to you. If you don't treat them greatly, they may not be great. If this is interfered with, then it may be very dangerous for the future of the Army. Now I'm not taking away from the officer's duty at all. There are greater problems these days than ever and the officers must be free to take care of them.

In all those ranks, whether they are regimental sergeants major, colour sergeants or sergeants, we have this one word which is common to all- "Sergeant" which is derived from the word "to serve". We are the servants of the regiment. We are the servant and proud to be so. We cannot claim to be members of the family: but we do proudly claim to be the retainers and to serve the family to the best of our ability. We are responsible to the country, to parents and to relatives that no effort of ours shall be spared to fit these young men for their duty as an officer because we are dealing with simple, straightforward and good soldiering things. Therefore, you could say that the regiment sergeant major is the chief sergeant of the regiment, and is the link between commanding officer and the others. I mentioned that very important subject of honesty, the honest man, and if those things happen, then you will get as a product possibly the greatest quality of all, which is respect - two way mutual respect and understanding.

I am going to relate to you something that happened to me which I think highlights this business. In my parachute battalion we had a Corporal Sheriff. He was a good corporal, but he had his share of rockets and so on. He didn't make sergeant when there was plenty of promotion flying around about, but he was a good battalion and a good company man. He joined us in '41, fought with us in North Africa, Sicily and Italy and finally at Arnhem, and it was at Arnhem that he was wounded. We had been in the prison camp for I should think about three months with no knowledge of him at all when I was told that he was in the reception hut, and so I scrounged a few cigarettes which were available, because I was told he was in bad shape, and went up to the hut.

I shall never forget it. As I opened the door every thing stopped; there was a deathly silence and everybody looked round as they do under those circumstances. The hut was full of foreigners of various nationalities, a smell of unwashed bodies and a strange atmosphere. I looked around and saw Corporal Sheriff in some strange uniform - if you could call it a uniform -
Which had been supplied to him. He was sitting cross-legged on the floor, head hanging down, looking very dejected.

I walked across towards him, and you could have heard a pin drop. I went up to him and I said something to the effect, "Hello Corporal Sheriff, how are you getting on?" In front of all those foreigners he stood up. It was three months since we had seen one another and he had no particular cause to love me. In front of all those foreigners he stood up and he stood to attention and you could almost hear their astonishment. He turned his head towards me and said, "Hello Sir, It's good to hear your voice." He was blind. Even in those circumstances he was a member of the family, he felt he belonged again and he was back in the bosom of the family, Now that's soldiering, that's spirit, that's understanding. That's all the things I've been trying to say.

The author was the Academy Sergeant Major of the British Military Academy at Sandhurst when he wrote this article, which is based on a speech he gave to the British Staff College.

Interestng how some of this sage advice from so long ago is still applicable in today's workplace!

Back