• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some feedback on my choice?

Fencer_1983

Inactive
Reaction score
I've gone through as much information as I could find concerning the different roles of the occupations available in the CF, however, just to reassure myself, I thought I'd just post the reasoning behind my choices and see if people think I made the right choice.  I have passed my CFAT, medical, interview... and am waiting for BMOQ (reserve) this summer.  I chose to do Officer over NCM, cause I have always been interested in the strategical/tactical aspects of the military to a great degree.  I have always thought of myself as a good problem solver, and although I'm not the most outspoken person, I think I do have many leaderships qualities... although they probably need to be honed a bit more.

My first choice: Artillery Officer

Reasoning:
-Something appealing about the firepower that the artillery brings to the battlefield
-Althought I don't 'love' math, I am proficient at it, and trajectories and angles and those sort of things are interesting
-although you might not be in the thick of things, ARTY is still part of the combat arms.. and from what i understand there is still the possibility of fighting as infantry.

2nd choice: Infantry Officer

-Something more 'personal' about close quarter fighting, I think...
-One of the most appealing things about infantry I find is the sort of diverse and all-encompassing role they play in present theatres of war.  Not only is the infanteer a soldier, but also a peacekeeper, diplomat, and so on.  Obviously, the soldiering part is great, but what I really, really like is the whole diplmatic aspect that you often see.. soldiers sitting down with afghan elders and discussing ways to improve security or mediating or whatever.  I think I'd make a good diplomat-soldier..

-One of the reasons I made Infantry my #2 was for physical reasons.  Although I'm in good cardio shape, I'm not the most brawny (although I am working on adding more muscle mass).. I'm about 6'3, 165 lbs or so right now.. that and every now and then my knees act up.. and infantry are always crouching behing buildings and stuff, which does quite the number to your knees.  So i figure maybe it wasnt for me...

3rd choice: Signals Officer

-I'm good with computers and will have my BSc in computer science shortly.. seems an obvious path

-I will be cooped up inside all the time with my civ. job... and while I realize signals are outside too.. from what I understand they're not out as much?? maybe I'm wrong..
-Plus signals is not in the combat arms... being in control of guns and troops, is far more appealing then being in control of computer networks.
-I'm not even sure if there are any reserve signals regiments around where I am

Any feedback haha?

EDIT: spelling..

Artillery is an excellent choice. I'm currently parading with 11RCA, and I've been having a blast (pun intended), especially being the token Air Force guy.

-Something appealing about the firepower that the artillery brings to the battlefield
Not only power in guns, but power in leadership. Many legendary historic generals were Arty Officers. Ask any Arty Officer about this, and they'll be able to name you at least 3 off the top of their head.

-Althought I don't 'love' math, I am proficient at it, and trajectories and angles and those sort of things are interesting
Allow me to quote one of the officers at 11RCA: "I never really did like math in school... too dry... you try to figure out how this formula works with that, and it just doesn't work. When they put me on my arty course, we did a lot of math. Let me tell you, math suddenly becomes interesting when it makes the difference of saving buddy's ass versus blowing it up a few miles downrange."

-although you might not be in the thick of things, ARTY is still part of the combat arms.. and from what i understand there is still the possibility of fighting as infantry.
In the course of my parading, I've gotten to know quite a few of the people from the regiment who have gone on tour. Let me tell you, if anyone tells you arty doesn't come under fire, get into the thick of things, they are dead wrong. These guys told me stories of coming under fire from rockets, mortars, and even having the enemy directly engaging their camp with small arms. Counter-battery fire is one thing, doing it while mortars and rockets are raining down on your position is another.

"Fighting as infantry" as you put it, is more than a possibility - it will happen. Convoys can be ambushed, bases come under fire, etc... your 155mm guns aren't much use when the enemy is within small-arms range.

Fencer_1983 said:
and see if people think I made the right choice. 

What do YOU think about YOUR choice ?

Seems to me that if YOU are happy with it, who cares what anyone else has to say ?

No ?

CDN Aviator is right.  No one can make that decision for you.

This board can be a good source if you have questions regarding one of your choices, but only YOU can decide.

Fencer_1983 said:
I've gone through as much information as I could find concerning the different roles of the occupations available in the CF, however, just to reassure myself, I thought I'd just post the reasoning behind my choices and see if people think I made the right choice.  I have passed my CFAT, medical, interview... and am waiting for BMOQ (reserve) this summer.  I chose to do Officer over NCM, cause I have always been interested in the strategical/tactical aspects of the military to a great degree.  I have always thought of myself as a good problem solver, and although I'm not the most outspoken person, I think I do have many leaderships qualities... although they probably need to be honed a bit more.

My first choice: Artillery Officer
2nd choice: Infantry Officer
3rd choice: Signals Officer

Any feedback haha?

EDIT: spelling..

All three poor choices.  You can't make up your mind without someone else giving you advice.  Not a good sign.  Not a sign of Leadership. 

You figure you are a problem solver.  Who do you think really solves the problems?  The officer or the NCO who has to make someone's plan come to fruition?  That, however, requires INITIATIVE which you seem to be lacking.  Initiative is required on all levels of Leadership.

Anyway, as pointed out by others; it is your decision and as long as you are happy with it, why worry what we think.  You can succeed or fail on your own account, and we will have nothing to do with it.

NOT EDITED for spelling.  ;D

Well, I did make up my mind, but now that I have more time to think about it, and double check to make sure I don't have any misconceptions, I thought it'd be prudent to do so.  To be quite honest, I should have spent more time initially thinking about my decision and doing more research back when I sent in my stuff earlier in the year.  But.. based on the knowledge and information I have, I am happy with my choice.  You can always look for more knowledge and opinions, no?

Fencer_1983 said:
Well, I did make up my mind, but now that I have more time to think about it, and double check to make sure I don't have any misconceptions, I thought it'd be prudent to do so.  To be quite honest, I should have spent more time initially thinking about my decision and doing more research back when I sent in my stuff earlier in the year.  But.. based on the knowledge and information I have, I am happy with my choice.  You can always look for more knowledge and opinions, no?

When discussing one's personal choices - knowledge is a great thing;  opinions - not so much.

Fencer_1983 said:

Decision made, but sounds a bit weak on the follow-through... sounds more like you want someone to say you made the right choice. 

I've noticed this in afew threads now so I figure I'll post about it. Why exactly is it seen as a weakness in this recruit's character that he is asking for opinions on his choices? he is not asking what he should go for or such, just what the input is of others who are possibly in those fields, so as to solidify the fact that he made the correct choices for himself. I'm not pointing at anyone directly but I see this happen in many threads and it was irritating me.

_Griffin_ said:
I've noticed this in afew threads now so I figure I'll post about it. Why exactly is it seen as a weakness in this recruit's character that he is asking for opinions on his choices? he is not asking what he should go for or such, just what the input is of others who are possibly in those fields, so as to solidify the fact that he made the correct choices for himself. I'm not pointing at anyone directly but I see this happen in many threads and it was irritating me.

Fair comment, and most of us have forgotten how little we actually knew about our trade choices at the time we made them ourselves.

_Griffin_ said:

Ditto, fair enough comment - And I had a good reply, as the problem is pretty much self-explanatory.  But since its not very positive, I'll play nice and just not say anything more on this issue.

Back