• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers more likely to have experienced childhood abuse: study

Colin P said:
What i see is that the Military is a "safe space" for those abused in a "unsafe civil society"
I may be grossly oversimplifying, but I'm guessing many here with cadet or military experience here can think of at least some folks who join while a bit ... lost, but when subjected to fair and consistent discipline and structure, have thrived and done well.
George Wallace said:
Perhaps it makes a point to bring in compulsory service (not necessarily military) to the nation as a form of "preventative medicine".  :dunno:
>:D
Maybe not as "preventative medicine", but to give some folks who need it (and I'm going to sound like an old fart saying this) structure and direction.
George Wallace said:
The German version of National Service was broken down to accommodate the various segments of their population.  The majority of course went into the military, but there was the option to join the Polizei as well.  For those who were "Conscientious Objectors" such as Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, the option was to serve their time in other Emergency Services hospitals.  With "the Wall" coming down, this was greatly scaled back and is now basically 'history'.
I have relatives in Italy who, when they still had compulsory military service, opted for parallel service with the Red Cross.

Colin P said:
What i see is that the Military is a "safe space" for those abused in a "unsafe civil society"

What I saw was:

"In the military, we are taught to cope with very stressful situations," he said. "Our military members, despite a history of childhood abuse, would be better at coping with stressful situations and therefore less likely to have suicidal ideations versus the general population."

This suggested to me that the military taught coping skills with which to reduce instances of various forms of mental health problems found in larger numbers amoung the general population who had never seen military service.  The operative word is "Reduce"; not "eliminate".

Does this enter into the discussion at all?

A soldier is hired to perform the most anti-social act of all: to kill someone.

To make it worse, I think, in many cases he or she will hold no personal animosity to that person they have killed.  If they met them on Yonge Street killing them would not be their immediate response.

While in the forces, and particularly while actively engaged, everything they hear around them supports them as they perform the anti-social act while under orders.

Once they come away from the zone, however, the supports start being withdrawn and the soldier is left with their own thoughts.  As long as they stay in the army there is some buffer.  But the more interaction they have with others who have not shared their experience, perhaps, the more effort it takes to justify their actions to themselves.

Life may then become harder, if society decides that the original reason for the soldier being put in that position in the first place wasn't really that important after all.  Or worse, that it was wrong.

At that point the soldier is alone with their thoughts, isolated, if not ostracized from the community and trying to justify his behaviour, and the loss of friends to himself.

Perhaps the fact that there are so FEW suicides should be considered remarkable.

Chris Pook said:
At that point the soldier is alone with their thoughts, isolated, if not ostracized from the community and trying to justify his behaviour, and the loss of friends to himself.

Perhaps the fact that there are so FEW suicides should be considered remarkable.
Excellent way of viewing this. 

[NOT to diminish the significance of veteran suicides in any way!]

Chris Pook said:

To make it worse, I think, in many cases he or she will hold no personal animosity to that person they have killed.  If they met them on Yonge Street killing them would not be their immediate response.

While in the forces, and particularly while actively engaged, everything they hear around them supports them as they perform the anti-social act while under orders.

Once they come away from the zone, however, the supports start being withdrawn and the soldier is left with their own thoughts.  As long as they stay in the army there is some buffer.  But the more interaction they have with others who have not shared their experience, perhaps, the more effort it takes to justify their actions to themselves.

Life may then become harder, if society decides that the original reason for the soldier being put in that position in the first place wasn't really that important after all.  Or worse, that it was wrong.

That's worth a topic all it's own.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/121870.new.html#new

IT seems odd that on one side people equate the military as a safe and secure haven for broken people, while on the other side we are innundated with programs to prevent harrassment, sexual misconduct, mental health etc. and have a phone book full of 1-800 numbers to address these problems.

Any uninformed person might get the idea that it is more dangerous inside the Green Machine than outside...

I would really question that study and the bias's/format of it......just does not ring true past the point of the CF being a slice of general society. ::)

Kilo_302 said:
I actually think national service of some form or another is a great idea. There should be a non-military option for those who choose it, but meeting Canadians from different walks of life, serving your country and overcoming challenges could only have a positive effect on young adults. Most kids these days identify as a consumer first and foremost, rather than as a citizen of a democracy.

If i remember correctly it's the Swiss who give the option to do community service and a couple other things for those who object to serving in the military. Not a bad idea

Thucydides said:
IT seems odd that on one side people equate the military as a safe and secure haven for broken people, while on the other side we are innundated with programs to prevent harrassment, sexual misconduct, mental health etc. and have a phone book full of 1-800 numbers to address these problems.

Any uninformed person might get the idea that it is more dangerous inside the Green Machine than outside...

Exactly. What we need now is a good war :)

MilEME09 said:
If i remember correctly it's the Swiss who give the option to do community service and a couple other things for those who object to serving in the military. Not a bad idea

Alternatives to military service are quite common throughout those European countries with mandatory service.

Journeyman said:
...or a sickly season; I'd take either about now.  :nod:

Wait for it.....

Zika virus spreading explosively, says World Health Organisation

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/28/zika-virus-spreading-explosively-says-world-health-organisation

Chris Pook said:

:goodpost:

Back