• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

I only scanned through this a little, and still find myself a bit concerned. I have a hypothetical question, say I start my BMQ in September, get through all 14 weeks. Will I find myself waiting for the summer to start my SQ? As in 6 or 7 months.

They run BMQ(L) or SQ (old name) all year round not just during the summer.  I do not know if your regular force or reserve; if you are regular force you could be placed on one at any time.

Thank You! That questioned had my brother and I a bit worried. Ill be going as regular force, combat engineer. My brother will be joining the reserves soon and possibly regular force as med tech.

SQ is now called BMQ-L (Basic Military Qualification Land).  I believe it was renamed so they could justify forcing most trades to take it (clerks, cooks, etc).

It's a four week course, consisting of twenty training days.

Your "leisure time" depends on your course, your staff, and which base you're doing your BMQ-L at.  For example, you're likely to have more free time in Shilo or Gagetown than you are in Meaford.

The wait time between BMQ and BMQ-L (SQ) can vary for many reasons.  You could have a week wait in between, or you could have a year.  There's no specific duration.  For example, in my case, I finished BMQ on the 13th of July 2008.  I started my QL3 Phase 1 on 27 October and finished on 12 December.  I didn't start BMQ-L until 15 April.  During all those gaps (13 July - 27 October, 12 December - April 15) several people with less time in than myself were loaded on SQ.  Some say it depends on your trade and how important BMQ-L is for them, but that's not true.  Lots of these people were cooks, clerks, and even people in the same trade I'm in.

So again, I reiterate, it's impossible to know how long you'll be waiting.

Hi, I was just curious, after you have completed Basic Training, do you immediately continue to SQ? Do you get leave to see family? Or do you have to wait for the next course date?

Gommerman said:
Hi, I was just curious, after you have completed Basic Training, do you immediately continue to SQ? Do you get leave to see family? Or do you have to wait for the next course date?

Thanks for coming out.  Perhaps it may help if you read the twenty pages first.  The answer is there.

Michael O'Leary said:
Reg F is more training days, and spends more time on some things.  Reservists might do it all at once (summer), or spread out over evenings and weekends during the fall/winter/spring), but with the additional stress of school and job to worry about.  Each course situation is different and has different impacts of different people.
I have read this entire thread and searched as well, and I need 2 clarifications about BMQ(L) for reserve (I am planning on applying for an Amoured Soldier position with the Queen's York Rangers):

Is BMQ(L) only run the 4 weeks during the summer, or is it also offered "spread out", as O'Leary's post above suggests?

Secondly, it sounds as if the first couple of weekends of the old 7-week SQ course were "confined to barracks".  Is this true for the current 4 week summer BMQ(L) course, or can I expect to go home to Mississauga on weekends (assuming we don't get weekend leave taken away for screw-ups during the week)?

You can do your BMQ (L) on weekends (that's how I did it) I think it depends on where you live though since I've heard of some units not offering it on weekends.

I talked to some of the guys on BMQ (L) in Meaford this past July and apparently they were only confined to barracks for the first weekend. Though that could be because they screwed up somewhere during the week. As for going back home to Mississauga it's possible if you brought your own vehicle (or drove with someone). I was able to go back home to Windsor for a weekend and still made it back to Meaford no problem.

DH said:
Is BMQ(L) only run the 4 weeks during the summer, or is it also offered "spread out", as O'Leary's post above suggests?

Secondly, it sounds as if the first couple of weekends of the old 7-week SQ course were "confined to barracks".  Is this true for the current 4 week summer BMQ(L) course, or can I expect to go home to Mississauga on weekends (assuming we don't get weekend leave taken away for screw-ups during the week)?

There were SQ courses ran on weekends for reservists during the winter. Whether or not they are doing the same, I'm not sure, ask your recruiter

While you are enjoying your stay in Meaford and avoiding stepping on the grass you will get leave. Never expect your first weekend off while on your basic soldiering courses. Coming off of the 5 day ex you will be on forced rest on your Friday and come Saturday morning you can leave providing you do have leave.

Your OPs warrant or CoC should be sending out a MEL with course dates and such. Inquire through the proper channels
BMQLand was a lot of fun for me other then the sleep deprivation ;)

good luck

Thanks a lot, fellas.  That perfectly answers my questions. I'm planning to head down to the armoury in the next couple of weeks for a more detailed "recce" of the unit and CF ;).

PS: Oh, what a little web searching will do.  I found this page on the 32 cbg Battle School site.  If anyone has questions about dates for this year, this page will provide the answers, I think (including the answer to my BMQ(L) weekends question!):

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/32brigade/hq/BSL/BSL_Home.htm

PS: Thanks to Larkvall for coincidentally sending me this link!

Does anyone know of a calendar like this listing the upcoming courses of 39cbg? I found this: http://armyapp.forces.gc.ca/38cbg_arsd/contents.html but the course calendar link seems to be disabled, at least for non-DoD computers. I'm looking to get loaded on a bmq-l course anywhere/anytime/asap and have already expressed this through CoC, but it would still be helpful to see what options are out there, in terms of preliminary planning with home/work etc.

39 CBG doen't have a BMQ-L scheduled for weekend trg yet. They probably won't have anything until next spring.

Thanks for the reply. How about a full-time BMQ-L, is there any chance of that happening prior to the spring?

Don't have the current 09/10 Calendar but....

It appears that 39 CBG is supposed to be running 3 this winter:

BMQ-L (SQ) (Interior) DP1 Res 2 Winter 10
BMQ-L (SQ) (Vancouver) DP1 Res 2 Winter 10
BMQ-L (SQ) (Victoria) DP1 Res 2 Winter 10

Reserves only(atleast when I was a Reserve) have full time courses in the summer. The only way you'd do a full time BMQ-L prior to the Reserve summer courses is to try to get on a Reg Force course.

I did my BMQ (L) or SQ course this summer from June 29 till July 31, then did DP1 Infantry from Aug 5 till Sep 5 in Meaford. As long as no one did anything ridiculously stupid, we got weekends from around 6 Friday till 6 Sunday. For weekdays, we got dismissed around 9PM, after that, there was access to computer lab, gym, and CANNEX.

I did these two courses back to back about three weeks after I finished my BMQ course btw. Some trades allow you to do trades course before your SQ...depends on a lot of stuff though.

Moody said:
Wow. 

My buddy wears the same badge as you and he is headed to the sandbox for 9 months. I know for a fact he does not share your opinion.

Thats understandable, same badge doesnt necessarily mean same trade. The sigs branch is large, with the possibility of even breaking the trades down further themselves.  Postings weearing the jimmy can be from Alert, to Hawaii, to US CENTCOM HQ, anywhere in the world.
Answer this, has your buddy wearing the same badge done his mounting training, that training also includes what is required to do the job as a soldier, yearly IBTS as well as refresher training on C6, C9, grenade, gashut, everything. The army continuously trains us for what we do, its not just a 4 week course gets us ready to go out the door, its everything before, during and after that makes the difference.
I probably should of stated this earlier, and in better terms then previously stated, with the way certain trades are in such dire circumstances in regards to their numbers, i believe an SQ course should not prohibit members going and getting their QL3s starting their 4's packages and getting on the job training, even carrying on to their 5's. When the opportunity arises and the availability of an SQ course is there. then it should be done, ( i have a different opinion about PLQ, i believe that should be required before the leaf is given) I sat at PRETC, and argued with them on a daily basis that i required an SQ course for my trade. they said no, i had four months of PRETC while waiting for course.
When i go to do my SQ, i will make the most of it, learn as much as possible, finish the course as best i can, and then continue to do my job, i know people who have done it and have had fun, you can say "the army will make you forget those fun moments on the range" and all that. Its all a game. and that game is meant to push you to see how far you can go. If you go in in the right mindset as i plan too, to give it %110, and to fix what might seem as little shit during inspections, so they can move on and find something else.
As far as different bases have different standards,
very much agreed. but i have spoken to people who have done SQ all over, and they have all said the same, its fun. and they have seen some pretty funny shit when people are pushed and stressed to the edge.

Do you have to qualify every time you go on course for that specific course..like you have to qualify for BMQ do you have to do the same for SQ and your trade courses...

Back