• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

SavsC said:
I
Also, how much of a gap is there in between BMQ and BMQ-L? I looked through some of this thread for my answers but it goes off topic a lot so I decided just asking was easier. :)

Thanks,

Sav

There is no set time, it all depends on when the one course ends and when the next on starts.  Some people go on them back to back, other people have to wait and go on their trades qualification course prior to their SQ (not the prefered method of doing things, but it happens). The only thing you can do is relax and go with the flow, don't get to worked up about it, when you go on the course you go on it.

Thanks.  I was under the impression that I was not allowed to do my trades course before SQ.  A friend who is in the regs told me that some people are sittin in Borden waiting to do SQ for months upon months. I wasn't exactly stoked about this and decided to find out if there was any truth behind it.  Great to know, thanks a million.

Sav

Well then, I pose a different question then.

After BMQ, if you do get a lengthy wait; is the wait paid? Will I be paid as if I was doing something? if thats the case, then I won't complain and will just take the time to workout and meet new people, or something of the sort. If allowed of course.

Cooldevil789 said:
After BMQ, if you do get a lengthy wait; is the wait paid? 

Reular force = Yes

Will I be paid as if I was doing something?

The CF will employ you in some capacity.....you WILL be doing something.

if thats the case, then I won't complain and will just take the time to workout and meet new people, or something of the sort. If allowed of course.

See above.

Just a quick question, after Bmq. Do you get something like a 1 week holiday, a weekend or something. If you are not directly sent to SQ. And/or are you sent to your unit and battalion right away.

Rinker said:
Just a quick question, after Bmq. Do you get something like a 1 week holiday, a weekend or something. If you are not directly sent to SQ. And/or are you sent to your unit and battalion right away.

You get sent to your next base right away for all intensive purposes. You most certainly do not get sent to a unit or battalion as you are not qualified and what you unit you will belong to has not been determined yet.

Unless things have changed the fol are the PO Checks:

PO 101 “Participate in Dismounted Offensive Operations”
PO 102 “Participate in Dismounted Defensive Operations”
PO 103 “Patrol”
PO 104 “Fire the C7 with the C79 Optical Sight Unit”
PO 105 “Fire the General Purpose Machine Gun, 7.62mm, C6”
PO 106 “Fire the Light Machine Gun, 5.56mm, C9”
PO 109 “Throw Grenades”
PO 110 “Perform Individual Fieldcraft”
PO 111 “Operate Tactical Communications Equipment”
PO 114 “Perform Army Physical Training” (This is supplement training for Reserves)

ok a little of topic, but got a message from this thread and that quote from whomever that RSM is, is amazing lol, anyways thanks for answering my question.

NFLD Sapper said:
Unless things have changed the fol are the PO Checks:

PO 101 “Participate in Dismounted Offensive Operations”
PO 102 “Participate in Dismounted Defensive Operations”
PO 103 “Patrol”
PO 104 “Fire the C7 with the C79 Optical Sight Unit”
PO 105 “Fire the General Purpose Machine Gun, 7.62mm, C6”
PO 106 “Fire the Light Machine Gun, 5.56mm, C9”
PO 109 “Throw Grenades”
PO 110 “Perform Individual Fieldcraft”
PO 111 “Operate Tactical Communications Equipment”
PO 114 “Perform Army Physical Training” (This is supplement training for Reserves)

It has changed a bit:

PO 104 no longer done on reg force SQ
add PO 107 fire the short range anti-armour weapon

how much of a gap is there in between BMQ and BMQ-L? I looked through some of this thread for my answers but it goes off topic a lot so I decided just asking was easier

Sav
[/quote]
your wait could be very long but there is still a chance that you could get on a QL3/DP1 course while you are waiting as that is what happened to four of my course mates they did their SQ after.
good luck in bmq just remember its only a 14 week course in team building and stress managment

Is there any 'leisure time' during SQ training I wonder? Do we get to use internet/phone a lot or limited time? anyone has been there? Also, the one started on July 1st this summer, I think it's in Meaford when does it end? thanks guys!

tankman said:
Is there any 'leisure time' during SQ training I wonder? Do we get to use internet/phone a lot or limited time? anyone has been there? Also, the one started on July 1st this summer, I think it's in Meaford when does it end? thanks guys!

It depends on how well your section and platoon works.  Work like a team, and you may get time off during the weekend, if there isn't an exercise element that spans over the weekend.  Don't work like a team, and your directing staff will find lots of things for you and your course mates to do over the weekend!

I believe that that BMQ-L/SQ in Meaford that started 29 June is due to finish 31 July.  Those continuing on to DP1 INFMN start 4 Aug and finish 5 Sep, if I recall correctly.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
It depends on how well your section and platoon works.  Work like a team, and you may get time off during the weekend, if there isn't an exercise element that spans over the weekend.  Don't work like a team, and your directing staff will find lots of things for you and your course mates to do over the weekend!

I believe that that BMQ-L/SQ in Meaford that started 29 June is due to finish 31 July.  Those continuing on to DP1 INFMN start 4 Aug and finish 5 Sep, if I recall correctly.

Regards
G2G

Thanks a lot!I wonder do they have like a 'time slot' or sth that allows them to use internet for instance on a daily basis during that time? also what weekends are like?

tankman said:
Thanks a lot!I wonder do they have like a 'time slot' or sth that allows them to use internet for instance on a daily basis during that time? also what weekends are like?

I did the old 7 week SQ course in Meaford a few years ago so I dunno how current this is.  During the course you pretty much won't have any free time really. When your not in classes or doing PT you will be cleaning your barracks an kit getting ready for inspection, etc. There is no internet computer in the barracks for students. There is a payphone in the lobby an when you get the chance you can use it. When I was on course our first few weeks we were confined to barracks an still did classes an some PT on the weekend but there was some "off time" kind of where you could go an use the phone. Even going to "The Bunker"(store on base) was limited to only 1-2 course representatives to go down an buy supplies for the course. This lasted for awhile an I remember only once when we were allowed to go in as a course. Once the Confined to Barracks phase is done an you pass inspections, etc you will get the weekends off to do whatever you want.

During the week, you will be able to use the phones at night at specific times.  After your are no longer confined to barracks on weekends (usually after the first 3 or 4 weeks) you will have those days to yourself.

So the job sheet I picked up at the recruiting office said SQ was 10 weeks and online it says 20 days.  It sounds like it is about a month from people I have talked to and from what I have read on here.  Does anybody know If it will be changed back to the 7 week or 10 week durations it used to be?  If so when?  I'd really like to get the BEST possible soldier training I can. 

Thanks

SQ is about 4 weeks, I am not sure it is even called SQ now.  Infantry changed theirs to DP1 (development program) combining SQ and BIQ into one complete course, but the first month of the course is still considered as SQ.  Don't worry about getting the best training you can.

I'm currently awaiting sq while I'm on PRETC at Borden.  It's 20 working days Sept 08 to October 09.... 
hopethis helps.

Back