• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

38 brigade is the only brigade left that currently trains all new recruits on the SRAAW. We were told that on course.

No rule that says you can not train on it. You can not fail some one on SQ for not successfully completing SRAAW(M). You can only pass or fail people for performance if they do not complete a PO. Bonus training is allowed and encouraged.

hi i'm about to start my SQ at meaford on the 13th of november and was wondering if there was a kit list available and if we were getting weekends off or not any info would be great      thanks MTH

Try asking your chain of command and don't snoop around here for official info. That BTW, is a suggestion, not an order...

Oh yes, they do have plenty of kit list, just ask the EME MCPL in charge of you guys (no names, no pack drill)...

I did my SQ in Valcartier(Quebec) last summer. I had time to do my BMQ and the SQ in one summer but my SQ started 31 july and finished at 18 of august.

It's 3 complete weeks of course. (15 days of training)

whoever you are, whereever you are I hope you'll have fun next summer! Good Luck!

So, and humour me for asking this probably often asked question, SQ for reg forces is currently _7_ weeks long?
Presumably it's ok to have it done after your MOC training.. since I've been slotted into my MOC right after BMQ.

Also, the new 13 week BMQ (ok, now it's 14 weeks, sucks to be the guys doing bmq right now) has no effect on the SQ.. right? Even though there's 3 field weeks and all that section attack jazz etc?

I'm a vehicle tech, just graduated BMQ last day before x-mas leave :) I've already seen at least ONE guy from my course on here. heheh.

ASK YOUR QUESTIONS through the chain of command. Some clods here talk out of their arse. yes some people may have to repeat soem of their training as the new system rolls in. Suck it up, buttercup.

14 weeks versus 13 weeks is a big deal? maybe you ought to re-think your career choices. You may be in for some ugly surprises when you are deployed and the tour is extended for whatever reason a couple of months...

ArmyRick said:
ASK YOUR QUESTIONS through the chain of command. Some clods here talk out of their arse. yes some people may have to repeat soem of their training as the new system rolls in. Suck it up, buttercup.

14 weeks versus 13 weeks is a big deal? maybe you ought to re-think your career choices. You may be in for some ugly surprises when you are deployed and the tour is extended for whatever reason a couple of months...

Oh ArmyRick, giving it to the new troops... Alas I'm not on the recieving end of it!!!  (oddly enough I hear your voice in my head as I read your posts)

Note to others, pay special attention to posts by ArmyRick regarding SQ/BIQ

Hey!

I just joined the reserves in november of 2006 but don't start my BMQ till April or may. I wanted to know if any1 had the dates for the BMQ that would start at the end of april of beginning of may. Also when would the SQ be, right after BMQ? dates anyone? i need to plan my summer but my unit doesn't have all the answers, I can use any help given, thanks.  :-\

rajole said:
Hey!

I just joined the reserves in november of 2006 but don't start my BMQ till April or may. I wanted to know if any1 had the dates for the BMQ that would start at the end of april of beginning of may. Also when would the SQ be, right after BMQ? dates anyone? i need to plan my summer but my unit doesn't have all the answers, I can use any help given, thanks.  :-\

If you unit can't answer those questions yet, how could we when we don't even know what unit or trade you are.

sorry Captain, my trade is med tech and 28 Fd Amb in ottawa. does tht help?

rajole said:
sorry Captain, my trade is med tech and 28 Fd Amb in ottawa. does tht help?

NO...your unit will tell you dates when they have them.........

NEXT !!!

Hey after you have finished your training.. and are awaiting the second level
is there a huge wait time from any training and if your waiting a few months do you go home or stay with the cf or can u go home for a bit

18-and-ready said:
Hey after you have finished your training.. and are awaiting the second level
is there a huge wait time from any training and if your waiting a few months do you go home or stay with the cf or can u go home for a bit

While you are between courses, you are placed on a PAT (Personell awaiting training) Platoon.  They will find some way to employ you while you wait for your next course to start.  It's hard to really predict how long you'll have to wait.  I've never been on a PAT Platoon personally, but I've known people that have been on it for over a year. 

You can always use leave to go home but you can't just take off.  You start with 20 days of annual leave.  They don't include weekends or statutory holidays.  It's quite a bit of time off compared to civilian jobs.

EDIT:  I'm not Infantry (Or even Army, for that matter).  I can't answer specificly regarding the Soldier Qualification Course.  But, as far as I know, PAT Platoon works the same throughout the CF.

if possible I'd like to get some clarification, yeah i know it's probably been covered 100 time but i did read through all 10 pages and couldn't find something similar to my situation.

i have been excused BMQ as i previously served in another defence organisation and enlisted in the airforce as 291. I've been informed that i have to do the SQ. I'm already more than fit enough to pass the min fitness requirements for BMQ but for the SQ are the fitness standards increased. also due to differences in weapons from previous service using the steyr I'm concerned about all aspects of this. has anyone encountered changeovers from other countries as I'd like to hear what I'm in for.

thanks for the help

aussiechangover said:
i have been excused BMQ as i previously served in another defence organisation and enlisted in the airforce as 291. I've been informed that i have to do the SQ. I'm already more than fit enough to pass the min fitness requirements for BMQ but for the SQ are the fitness standards increased. also due to differences in weapons from previous service using the steyr I'm concerned about all aspects of this. has anyone encountered changeovers from other countries as I'd like to hear what I'm in for.

First off, everyone's situation is different.

The Physical Fitness Tests are Standardized.  They are the same throughout the CF.

You will get more wpns trg on your SQ.  You will be behind everyone else, as you have never seen it before, but you will be brought up to speed quickly.

You say you were issued a Green DEU.  That my friend is a "LAND" Distinctive Environmental Uniform = Army.

George Wallace said:
First off, everyone's situation is different.

The Physical Fitness Tests are Standardized.  They are the same throughout the CF.

You will get more wpns trg on your SQ.  You will be behind everyone else, as you have never seen it before, but you will be brought up to speed quickly.

You say you were issued a Green DEU.  That my friend is a "LAND" Distinctive Environmental Uniform = Army.

this is where my confusion is, on my application for it says airforce i even checked and double checked with recruiters. now although I've selected airforce on my enlistment documents i was offered the land element course to commence within the next month. so from what people have been saying I'm going army no choice although in the recruiting it's tri-service. as for the being issued anything currently i haven't accepted any offers as i can't get a clear and concise answer to the "I've selected airforce how come I'm going army". i guess I'm still stuck in ex aussie military mode where uniforms are clearly differentiated for courses.

Back