• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier gets 8 years in jail abuse scandal

foerestedwarrior

Inactive
Reaction score
as seen in the Toronto Star
[ Article Link ]

Soldier gets 8 years in jail abuse scandal

BAGHDADâ ”The highest-ranking U.S. soldier charged in the Abu Ghraib scandal was sentenced yesterday to eight years in prison, the severest punishment so far in the case that broke in April with the publication of photos and video showing Americans humiliating and abusing naked Iraqi prisoners.

Staff Sgt. Ivan Frederick's lawyer, Gary Myers, called the sentence "excessive" and said he intended to appeal.

Col. Judge James Pohl also reduced Frederick's rank to private, ordered him to forfeit his pay and had him dishonourably discharged.

Frederick, 38, pleaded guilty Wednesday to taking part in the sexual and physical mistreatment of prisoners, telling Pohl that he knew his actions were wrong at the time he committed them. He also admitted helping tie wires to the fingers and penis of one hooded prisoner and telling him he could be electrocuted.

Associated Press

that's bad.  to be reduce back to private.  what's the equivalent rank of staff sgt here in the CF?

Not exactly sure, ther is like 10 different ranks of sgt there..., i think its like wo here

US Army Sgt First Class is equivalent to Cdn WO. Staff Sgt in US Army is a squad leader therefore equal to Cdn Sgt. US Army Sgt is  a fireteam leader therefore equiv to MCpl.

pbi said:
US Army Sgt First Class is equivalent to Cdn WO. Staff Sgt in US Army is a squad leader therefore equal to Cdn Sgt. US Army Sgt is   a fireteam leader therefore equiv to MCpl.

??? Did I miss something - kicked out and reduced in rank...

::)
Gee he might have tried to intimidate the guards in Leavenworth with his 'old rank'

I read that this guy is the highest ranking soldier to be charged in relation to the mess at the prison. Does anyone else find that a little, well, funny?

I suspect that at least one Sr. officer was at least aware of the abuse, or even ordered it.

Thoughts?

I'm with Caeser. How is it possible that this abuse - which was clearly repetitive and, at least within the confines of that particlular prison, widespread - went COMPLETELY unnoticed by any officers? Each of these soldiers would have had officers in their chain of command (I hardly have to say that!) and so either these officers were so disinterested in their mission, their prisoners, AND the troops under their command that they:

a) completely missed it (which would mean they're so blind and/or stupid and/or negligent that they should have been charged with deriliction of duty or conduct to the prejudice / the US equivalent thereof)

b) knew rumours / innuendo and failed to exercise their command responsibility to investigate out of indifference / fear (see above)

c) knew hard info and failed to act on it / turned a blind eye to it (aiding and abetting a service offence / conspiracy....)

or they actively condoned and planned it, using the troops to cover their rear ends.

Whatever way you look at it, this should have gone higher. Unacceptable.

Yes-it's hard to imagine that there wasn't at least a night duty offcer or something in the prison who would have seen this. My guess is that they are starting with the easiest cases to prosecute-these would obviously be the people who were right in the thick of what was going on. The US Army is pretty ruthless when it comes to officer behaviour (they fling officers MUCH faster than we do...) and I think if there are reasonable grounds that you will see officers charged. This case is pretty high profile in the States and I don't think the US public will sit idly by and let the "little guys" get fried. Like our media and our public, they like to see the sh*t splash as high as possible. Cheers.

Back