• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier en Route to Afghanistan Saves Family From Fire

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Good_News/2011/03/24/17740306.html

Soldier en route to Afghanistan saves family from fire
By QMI Agency

A soldier from CFB Esquimalt, located near Victoria, B.C., was making his way to the airport to be deployed to Afghanistan when he noticed a fire burning on the balcony of a house beside the road.

The soldier, only identified as a master corporal with the military police stationed at CFB Esquimalt, stopped to make sure the people in the house knew of the fire, but ended up putting it out for them, too. He then called the fire department.
Nobody was injured and the fire was declared accidental.

Local RCMP expressed their appreciation for the potentially life-saving act.
"We appreciate the steps this soldier took and we wish him well in his deployment," an RCMP spokesperson said.

No word on whether the extra stop made the soldier late for his flight.

I'm sure his excuse would have made the cut anyway. :salute:

You notice that the link says "Good News."

;D

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I'm sure his excuse would have made the cut anyway. :salute:

Yep, I think that's one of the acceptable excuses for missing a troop movement.

BZ to the MCpl involved!  :salute:

Well done MCpl Bastien!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/Somnia/article1955949/

A military policeman destined for a tour of duty in Afghanistan made a quick detour to save a house and its sleeping occupants from a fire.

Master Corporal Carol Bastien and his wife, Karine Rondeau-Lavaute, were loading his luggage into the family car around 5:30 a.m. Thursday when they noticed smoke coming from a nearby house. MCpl. Bastien and his wife, who are both stationed at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt, stopped what they were doing and rushed to help.

They pounded on the door until they woke the residents. MCpl. Bastien then traced the source of the smoke to a fire on the second-floor deck and put out the flames before they got out of control. Langford Fire Chief Bob Beckett reported that the fire was started by a discarded cigarette that ignited a shrub on the deck. The chief said he did not know how the MCpl. Bastien extinguished it.

Warrant Officer Michael Collet, MCpl. Bastien’s commanding officer, said he’d expect nothing less.

“He’s a good man. One of the best people I’ve ever met in my life, actually,” said WO Collet. “If we had more people like him there wouldn’t be many unfinished jobs. … He’s a hardworking guy and he gets things done.”

Sara Helmeczi, a public affairs officer at CFB Esquimalt, said MCpl. Bastien has served for 18 years, the first 10 with the navy, and the last eight with the military police.

WO Collet said this is not the serviceman’s first stint overseas. He was previously deployed in Bosnia, but this is the first time he will serve on the ground in Afghanistan. WO Collet said MCpl. Bastien will be assisting with security in the Kabul area.

“He’s going to do very well over there and we look forward to his safe and quick return,” he said.

WO Collet said MCpl. Bastien is a family man with a 17-month-old daughter. He and his wife moved to B.C. in 2008 from Dundurn, Sask. The two are originally from Quebec.

Fire Chief Beckett said he is “extremely grateful” for the soldier’s assistance,” adding that “in consideration that he’s heading off to Afghanistan, we wish him well in his deployment.”

People like this should have posters made for kids to pin on their walls, in lieu of professional jocks.

But, people like this would likely consider that to be an overdose of hubris, and wouldn't consent to it.

dinicthus said:
People like this should have posters made for kids to pin on their walls, in lieu of professional jocks.

But, people like this would likely consider that to be an overdose of hubris, and wouldn't consent to it.

I share your thoughts. There are some really cool people around which I hold in high esteem. Jim Seggie comes to mind, ripping a dashboard bare handed (or with a gerber, depending on who tells the story) to help release someone from a wrecked burning car. I would think he would find it a bit weird if we made posters of him.

Back