• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So You Want to be an officer, eh!

Greymatters said:
...but not all of them are poisonous wrecks...

Absolutely!  This is by no means a scientific study, but if I were to take the 20 or so Sgts I have had to honour to command, approx 10 of them were ideal and super checked out, 5 of them may not have been perfect but were still professional and great to work with, a few were just okay, one was bad, and one was genuine poison.

So yes, overall a young Lt has the deck stacked in his favour in terms of support.  Which in my opinion is all the more reason to be a team player when you get there.  Not that I'm suggesting anyone above had the attitude that they were going to reinvent the wheel upon arrival, but they will all know you're the boss...any efforts you make to push it home that you wear the Daddy Pants it almost assuredly going to win the battle at the cost of the war.

Petamocto said:
Absolutely!  This is by no means a scientific study, but if I were to take the 20 or so Sgts I have had to honour to command, approx 10 of them were ideal and super checked out, 5 of them may not have been perfect but were still professional and great to work with, a few were just okay, one was bad, and one was genuine poison.

So yes, overall a young Lt has the deck stacked in his favour in terms of support.  Which in my opinion is all the more reason to be a team player when you get there.  Not that I'm suggesting anyone above had the attitude that they were going to reinvent the wheel upon arrival, but they will all know you're the boss...any efforts you make to push it home that you wear the Daddy Pants it almost assuredly going to win the battle at the cost of the war.

I think I know some of the plus and minus people you are refering to....... Yet that type of persona tends to be cyclical in nature for a large percentage of the minuses.  ( stars tend to always shine thank God)  Sometimes it just takes the right personality mix to bring out the best in all, and for that matter I could say the same about the Coys Pl Comd.  As you put it someone is going to have to come out on the bottom.  Extrapolating further you can say the same about Coy's themselves in a Bn and Bn in a Regt, Regt in the army...........  That is amusing really as the personalities you mentioned are readily transferable. 

And that's exactly what I wrote on my previous post.

It's not just Sgts, that same ratio is probably the same other than right at the very top where people are chosen by selection.

But yeah, any rank that is chosen just by people passing the minimum standard and a few courses will get you that ratio (from Pte to Capt).

I think you're wrong about any higher than that though, probably at Coy level and above is gets very different because you have to be chosen to fill the position.  Even if you make MWO or Major, you won't get to be an OC or CSM unless people above you think you deserve it.

I'm not saying you don't get bad people in higher ranks (either NCM or Officer), but the higher you go, the higher the probability that they deserve it.

the 48th regulator said:
Dilanger,

This is a phenomenal post.

However, after you have been to RMC, for the full term, I want you to come here and validate this post.

I am not busting your balls, but I will say this.  You will not be taught that in RMC, trust me.

And if you go against the grain, you will be a pariah...

Trust me,

dileas

tess

So here you go man, I've done one full term at RMC, revieced my mosid pilot and my opions havent changed....

Dilanger said:
So here you go man, I've done one full term at RMC, revieced my mosid pilot and my opions havent changed....

Your grammar hasn't either.      ::)

Regards

Hi, i'm hoping this is the right forum for this but here it goes

I'm a 17 year old female from Ontario and RMC is 100% where I want to go. I'd like to either major in history or political science. I have a 92% average and i'm a strong student. I'm the student council president at my highschool and i'm also on LINK crew which is a program where older students help grade nines to transition to highschool. I have had 3 part-time jobs and I also volunteer. I love sports and I will be one of the captains of my school's rugby team this year. I'm also on the cross-country running team, badminton and curling teams. I play rep soccer as well. I weight-train and run often.

What are my chances of getting in to RMC and also do I have any chance of becoming a pilot? (great eyesight)?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

lvanveen said:
Hi, i'm hoping this is the right forum for this but here it goes

I'm a 17 year old female from Ontario and RMC is 100% where I want to go. I'd like to either major in history or political science. I have a 92% average and i'm a strong student. I'm the student council president at my highschool and i'm also on LINK crew which is a program where older students help grade nines to transition to highschool. I have had 3 part-time jobs and I also volunteer. I love sports and I will be one of the captains of my school's rugby team this year. I'm also on the cross-country running team, badminton and curling teams. I play rep soccer as well. I weight-train and run often.

What are my chances of getting in to RMC and also do I have any chance of becoming a pilot? (great eyesight)?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Well, obviously it SOUNDS like you might be a solid candidate. Nobody here knows you, though, so none of us can give a realistic opinion on whether you have a good chance or not. You've done good things, but obviously there's a lot more to being an officer than that.

As the old saying goes, you don't have any chance until you apply...

You might want to talk to your local CFRC, as a bunch of people on my platoon applied to be a pilot, but they had to choose another trade because pilot was "closed."

Also: Welcome to Milnet.ca!

Apply and see what happens. No one here can predict whether you get in or not.

Chase your goals down; stop looking for odds. When it comes to life there are no safe routes, and if there is they certainly don't lead anywhere special.

I qualified for DEO but I chose to go LCIS tech NCM and possibly request intel officer as a senior NCO.  Do you think former-NCO's make better officers...

tsokman said:
I qualified for DEO but I chose to go LCIS tech NCM and possibly request intel officer as a senior NCO.  Do you think former-NCO's make better officers...
Takes a loooong time to make it to Sr NCO.

As for who make better officers: as a former NCM now Officer, I've seen good and bad from both sides of the fence.  Some former NCOs still think that they are NCOs, others think that they are now "the chosen ones", others are ok.  As for the RMC officer (eg: no NCM time), I've seen some that are junk, some that are good, and others who are outstanding.  So, in short, I feel it is up to the individual.

tsokman said:

Now there's a horse that hasn't been beaten ridden in a while.  Anyone thinking about taking it for a ride should start with this thread: UP FROM THE RANKS!

I read in a military history of the Vietnam War that the best small unit officers were former-NCO's..platoon to company or even batallion CO's...

How long do you have to wait to apply for officer as an NCM if you have all the educational requirements for it already...thanks...

Technoviking said:

As for who make better officers: as a former NCM now Officer, I've seen good and bad from both sides of the fence.  Some former NCOs still think that they are NCOs, others think that they are now "the chosen ones", others are ok.

That's funny because I spent some time with Otter Squadron last year, and one of the biggest hurdles for those individuals early on, particularly those from the combat arms, was reigning in what the staff called 'NCO moments' - the ingrained habit of jumping in to correct something personally rather than delegating and letting the current crop of NCOs do the hands-on stuff.

40below said:
Technoviking said:

As for who make better officers: as a former NCM now Officer, I've seen good and bad from both sides of the fence.  Some former NCOs still think that they are NCOs, others think that they are now "the chosen ones", others are ok.  As for the RMC officer (eg: no NCM time), I've seen some that are junk, some that are good, and others who are outstanding.  So, in short, I feel it is up to the individual.

That's funny because I spent some time with Otter Squadron last year, and one of the biggest hurdles for those individuals early on, particularly those from the combat arms, was reigning in what the staff called 'NCO moments' - the ingrained habit of jumping in to correct something personally rather than delegating and letting the current crop of NCOs do the hands-on stuff.

???

Why is that funny? Isn't that what Technoviking alluded to in the bolded part above?

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
Your grammar hasn't either.      ::)

Regards

sorry that i can't spell the best in my second language.....i'll try harder.

This is more of a question about RMC than about becoming an officer, but I thought this would be the appropriate thread rather than the ROTP thread, correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been watching videos of RMC FYOP obstacle courses from previous years. Do the challenges change every year or are they always the same? Because in one year's videos, members of a flight crawl through a shallow trench that's been filled with water. In another, the flight seems to be crawling through a similar trench, but just muddy rather than filled with water. So do the obstacles change? Or can I get an idea of what to expect by watching videos?

Back