• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
dchan3154 said:
Hey there im currently a Mseop in the primary reserve hoping one day to be a pilot. Would it be wise to become an officer as soon as i graduate my post secondary and finish my pilots licence before i try to do a CT to reg force pilot? and suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Pilot is Pilot.  Whether you have experience or not, is not a critical factor.  Loachman has some very good points as well.

If you are a currently serving NCM or Offr PRes member and want to go Pilot, I would suggest you apply now, as the process is very very very slow........also, you allude to the fact that you are pursuing post sec studies, so you may want to look at RESO through your unit as well.

Hey guys,
I'm a newcomer to this site and I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions regarding the career of air force pilot. I know you guys hate seeing the same questions asked over and over again so I narrowed it down thanks to the search tool.

1. What are the swimming standards like for pilots? (not a strong swimmer)

2. Can you choose what kind of aircraft you'd like to be trained in/fly full time? (more interested in being a helicopter pilot)

Nublet said:
Hey guys,
I'm a newcomer to this site and I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions regarding the career of air force pilot. I know you guys hate seeing the same questions asked over and over again so I narrowed it down thanks to the search tool.

2. Can you choose what kind of aircraft you'd like to be trained in/fly full time? (more interested in being a helicopter pilot)
Lookit all the answers you can find in the thread before your post now that it's merged.

Search - it can be your friend.

Nublet said:

I prefer to avoid any body of water bigger or cooler than a hot tub, preferably with a good supply of emergency vodka at hand, just in case.

Nublet said:
2. Can you choose what kind of aircraft you'd like to be trained in/fly full time?

Yes, of course.

Will your choice be honoured?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Nublet said:

There is presumably still swimming in basic training, and you do pilot-specific sea survival training in which you spend a lot of time in seawater and being dragged behind a small selection of boats. I found the course pretty fun and got a lot out of it.

Hi,

If anyone interested in knowing about Seneca College/Toronto Airways Commercial Pilot Program, there is an information session taking place at Markham Campus tomorrow (Wednesday 18th December 2013) at 7.00 p.m.

More Info: http://www.senecacollege.ca/ce/technology/aviation/commercial-pilot-training.html#OrientationInfo

Hi i am looking for some information and help regarding applying for Pilot. I apologize i advance as this is my first time considering the military and my knowledge is lacking on how process works, and keep reading things i am not really sure of. There seemed to be many people on this page that really seemed genuine to helping and answering questions.

I see on the main forces web site it says Pilot is in demand right now. I am looking to apply for this position, however i have not talked to a recruiter at all yet about joining the military. I do have a college diploma aswell as a University degree (nothing to to with flying but a business degree) as is required to become an officer and a pilot.

I have been reading these blogs for hours trying to find some direction as exactly how the process work in regards to applying to become a Pilot.

- So i guess how does the process work?  (visit recruiter, test evaluation, cfat, job offers, time frames ect)
- Do they only recruit pilots from RMC? or what is the chance they will recruit from a civilian school
- Do they only look for candidates that have flying experience?
- I keep seeing people talk about DEO, ASC, air factor (what are these)?

I guess i am just really looking to get a handle on how this hole process works, and what the time frame is like a i am going into this know very little about the process.

i really hope you guys can help out and help me understand the pass ti become a Pilot..
I am extremely excited to dive in to this career!

George Wallace said:
Read this:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/103289/post-1089064.html#msg1089064
Or this:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/12744.0.html

Search can be your friend.

Also, work on the writing/capitalization.  How you write affects how the people who see that writing sees you.

turtona said:
1. So i guess how does the process work?  (visit recruiter, test evaluation, cfat, job offers, time frames ect)
2. Do they only recruit pilots from RMC? or what is the chance they will recruit from a civilian school
3. Do they only look for candidates that have flying experience?
4. I keep seeing people talk about DEO, ASC, air factor (what are these)?

This information is coming from a fellow applicant who has done tons of research about this already, and please note that none of my answers are official in any way:

1. Once you are ready to make your application, apply online by following the link on the forces.ca website. When your application is chosen for further processing at your local recruiting center, you will be notified via email (will be your second email) and it will be up to you to contact the recruiting center (CFRC). At this point they will tell you all of the necessary supporting documents that you will need to provide and fill out for your application to continue. Once you have given them all the documents, they will contact you to schedule the aptitude test (CFAT), medical, interview, and in the case of pilot; aircrew selection (ASC) which consists of an advanced and specialized aptitude test and an advanced medical in Trenton (Ontario). I am not familiar with the order in which these are scheduled but generally the CFAT is always first. Since you already hold a bachelors, you will not need to apply to RMC (Royal Military College) unless you want a second bachelor's degree. Everyone has a different time-frame but the general rule of thumb is be patient becuase it's going to take a while. See the application process samples thread for examples of time frames. Once you complete and pass all the steps, you will be placed on a dynamic and always changing merit list which is competitive based. Positions are generally offered in a top down fashion, i.e. the person who ranks 1st on the list will be the first person to receive an offer, etc.

2. No. Anyone who holds a bachelor's degree from an accredited University is eligible to apply. About who has better chances, RMC or civilian university, I can't answer that. I think there are a certain amount of slots allocated to each entry path every fiscal year. But I'm not sure.

3. No. I've actually read many posts from pilots on here who say that having prior flying experience may even work against you as military flying is very different than civilian flying.

4. DEO = Direct Entry Officer. This is one of the entry plans for the pilot occupation. In order to qualify for DEO, you need to of have either obtained a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or be in the last year of your studies pursuing said bachelor's degree. ASC = Aircrew Selection Center or (CFASC for Canadian Forces Aircrew Selection Center). This is one of the steps in your application process for pilot. Basically you will go to 8 Wing Trenton for one week and be subjected to two days of aptitude examinations and another 2 days for an advanced medical (the medical is actually in Toronto and you will only go there if you pass the aptitude test) + travel time. Air Factor is one of the 6 enrollment medical evaluations. The six evaluations are: visual acuity - color vision - hearing - geographical factor - occupatonal factor - air factor. For pilot you need at least 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 1 in order to qualify.

I'm sure you have hundreds of other questions. Before asking a single one, feel free to use the search button in these forums as there is a wealth of information already on here that can and will answer 99% of your questions. Also, don't be shy to drop by your CFRC and speak to a recruiter and ask all the questions you want, that is what they are there for!

Good luck!

I passed all the requirements for pilot - including the aircrew selection and medicals at Downsview.  I am hoping to be accepted into the Seneca program - currently scheduled to write the exams at Seneca this week.  When you talk about the process being long - any idea how long, any chance of getting accepted into the program for September 2014?  I am just finishing high school so I am hoping to get into the program at Seneca or I am just going to do engineering at another university.  Any advice would be appreciated.

redorange363 said:
I passed all the requirements for pilot - including the aircrew selection and medicals at Downsview.  I am hoping to be accepted into the Seneca program - currently scheduled to write the exams at Seneca this week.  When you talk about the process being long - any idea how long, any chance of getting accepted into the program for September 2014?  I am just finishing high school so I am hoping to get into the program at Seneca or I am just going to do engineering at another university.  Any advice would be appreciated.

If you are applying and going through the process NOW, then that would be for a start in either Sep 14 or Jan 15.

On the Payscales page on the CF website, Pilots are in their own section with the lowest rank starting as Captain. Does this mean you skip 2nd Lieutenant and Lieutenant, going from OC to Capt? Does anybody know the process to becoming a Pilot Captain?

My understanding is, get a Degree, apply, get accepted, officer's Basic Training, then Captain?

kolkim said:
On the Payscales page on the CF website, Pilots are in their own section with the lowest rank starting as Captain. Does this mean you skip 2nd Lieutenant and Lieutenant, going from OC to Capt? Does anybody know the process to becoming a Pilot Captain?

My understanding is, get a Degree, apply, get accepted, officer's Basic Training, then Captain?

Nope, you still have to go through the rank levels, I am sure someone who is there or is already a Pilot can explain it better.  But until you are promoted to the rank of Capt, those pay scales do not apply to you.

No, you don't start at Captain. You have to work your way up. My brother is currently doing his pilot training and I believe his rank is 2nd Lieutenant at the moment.

Ah, thank you very much. I just know that like a pharmacy officer starts at Captain so I was wondering if Pilots were the same

kolkim said:
Ah, thank you very much. I just know that like a pharmacy officer starts at Captain so I was wondering if Pilots were the same

Not necessarily, so a Pharm O just doesn't sign on the dotted line and suddenly become a Capt.  They too, still have required trg prior to reaching that rank.

You are a second lieutenant for the duration of your pilot training, whether it takes 2 years or 5+ years. Once you get your wings you are promoted to lieutenant, however if getting your wings took longer than 3 years from your commissioning date, you go directly to captain when you get your wings. This was the norm until recently, but the training system is working better these days.

So while you are waiting for promotion to Capt you get paid as a GSO.

If you're in the fighter stream, there's a practical test involving motorcycle driving beside a runway, locker room standoff with a coworker and a cut-throat game of shirtless beach volleyball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back