• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoomie said:
Bad gen alert - there is no requirement for any french language proficiency for your commission or for the pilot trade.  The only people that need to be highly functional in their second official language are those of the french persuasion.

If training time permits - you may be sent to a sentence of approximately 7 months at the language school in Quebec.

The Airforce is entirely English - the international language of aviation is English.
Considering that i am going into the aviation trade, does RMC provide the classes to get my Pilot degree? or will i need to go to a Civillian University/College, get my degree there, then go to RMC to do my stuff there (I am also looking at sciences and Strategic Studies)

You don't get a pilot degree. As I said in one of my previous post, you need A degree (any).  Then, after RMC, you do Pilot Training (which ISN'T a degree, it's military occupation training)

Max

SupersonicMax said:
You don't get a pilot degree. As I said in one of my previous post, you need A degree (any).  Then, after RMC, you do Pilot Training (which ISN'T a degree, it's military occupation training)

Max

Oh so could I go to Centennial College, get my aviation degree there, and then i can go to RMC and do their ROTP program, and complete my other degrees to get pilot training from them? I found in CFAO 9-12 a document with a list of programs which people may want to get into and degrees that they would be preferred, fully acceptable, acceptable, and not subsidized. as it says it would be preferred to have; Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chem, and International Studies (+ some I cant read off the document). Would it be a good idea to do my Pilot degree at some college (+ maybe one or 2 others that i need), then go to RMC and do the other courses there and aswell do the Pilot training? Or should I get all my degrees from RMC and the ROTP program?

Ps. I need all this info for careers class, not to mention i am wanting to go to RMC  8)

SupersonicMax said:
You don't get a pilot degree.

Please pay attention to detail.  I am sure that you will find many answers to your questions by reading some of the other topics on becoming a pilot and the topics on ROTP and RMC.  It may be best if you read them first.

Reading these past few pages, I have noticed some friendly bias and competition between the aviation trades as to who is better and flies more etc.

Each "type" of flying has a niche within the community and mission objective. It has been covered here quite a bit so I wont get into it. It is a fact that some are called more upon then others. I believe each one has there fair share of drawbacks and advantages.

As an aspiring aviation recruit (ROTP) i have no military experience and cannot comment on any "behind the scenes" tasks of any pilot. I however, need to point out something about the fighter community which I have failed to see anyone mention. These ladies and gentlemen may just fly routine patrols and "practice" most if not all of their careers in the military. We all know that, however, if shit hits the fan, we call up those guys and girls to do the unthinkable.

For example, lets take the tragic events of 9/11 for example, I am sure a wide range of fighters were scrambled all around North America to intercept any suspicious airliners. Imagine being the pilot trailing a commercial airliners with 200 innocent people with the order to shoot down the plane before it causes any more damage. 

I could only imagine the thoughts running through any persons head pulling the red trigger button.

Someone has to do it.

Just my .02 cents

Magic said:
As an aspiring aviation recruit (ROTP) i have no military experience and cannot comment on any "behind the scenes" tasks of any pilot. I however, need to point out something about the fighter community which I have failed to see anyone mention. These ladies and gentlemen may just fly routine patrols and "practice" most if not all of their careers in the military. We all know that, however, if crap hits the fan, we call up those guys and girls to do the unthinkable.

For example, lets take the tragic events of 9/11 for example, I am sure a wide range of fighters were scrambled all around North America to intercept any suspicious airliners. Imagine being the pilot trailing a commercial airliners with 200 innocent people with the order to shoot down the plane before it causes any more damage. 

I could only imagine the thoughts running through any persons head pulling the red trigger button.

Someone has to do it.

Just my .02 cents

Ahhh, but they don't physically see the people dying.  I urge you to watch Apocalypse Now and rethink your observation.  Granted, the Griffons won't be pulling crazy stuff like that (we're supposed to be defensive only) but that doesn't mean some door gunner won't be putting a few downrange into the enemy to save the guys on the ground.  How about the SAR-types who pick up not only the live bodies, but the dead ones too.

All the aircraft types have their issues when it comes to "pressing the button."  However, one just has to look at the advance in UAV optics and the negative affects it's had on U.S. operators mental health to see that making things close and personal can be more disturbing and difficult that shoot and leave technology.

I totally agree with you .....

We sometimes forget that taking life is part of a pilots job describtion. Some occupations will have a greater chance of encountering such a situation then others. It is something you must heavily consider when enrolling.

It isn't all about flying expensive and cool aircraft. I can only imagine the report following an fatal engagement.

Magic said:
We sometimes forget that taking life is part of a pilots job describtion.

In some aircraft types, while the pilot has control on the physical release of the weapon ( as all pilots are) , the decision and authority to use that weapon rests with the crew commander. That person is very often not a pilot.

Give me a break, the guys on the ground have been doing this for over 3 years in the AO. It is part of every job description in Kandahar to take life if required.

Run away gun said:
It is part of every job description in Kandahar to take life if required.

Well thanks for pointing out the obvious.......

Run away gun said:
Give me a break, ...

A break from what?  A discussion between a curious new member and experienced aviators about the theoretical responsibilities of pilots regarding weapons release?

You could have chosen to just stay out of it.  Unless, of course, you actually have some insight into the specific question being discussed.

Run away gun said:
Give me a break, the guys on the ground have been doing this for over 3 years in the AO. It is part of every job description in Kandahar to take life if required.

Okay, and how about if you were to talk about a clerk that may be thrown into that position?  Yes, we're all soldiers first, but a clerk probably doesn't expect to encounter something like that.

Similar situation to a pilot.  Other than the UAV types (who may have a secondary impact on who gets the lead), the trade as a whole hasn't had a reason to think about having to kill another person.

Stop the bravado.  It just makes you look like an arrogant, insensitive, egotistical fool.

I am aware the instructions to "shoot" come from a higher chain of command and not based on pilot discretion. All I am trying to get across is simple. Since new recruits like myself just think about the glory and cool factor of flying these machines but sometimes neglect to realize the nature of the business. If you feel you cant take a life, maybe this line of work is not for you.

This is purely from an aviation stand point. The boys and girls in Kandahar face death every single day and much respect is due. 

I'm white male, 22, from Quebec and I've got my CPHL (Commercial Pilot's helicopter license) since about two years. The aviation industry in Canada is terrible and jobs were non-existant last year and with the current economical context it's getting worse, if such thing was possible.
I'm going through university (admin/finance) right now and I was wondering if after my graduation I could be elligible for flight Officer in the CF. Would my prior qualifications helps or will the PC Quotas system will keep me down the list even if I am fully qualified to fly these machines ?

I've got a few hundreds hours of air time, mostly piston but some turbine time as well.

I know the Americans have a fast track program to get civilian aircrews in the US Army as CWO but unfortunatly American citizenship is required.
Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

daedalusx said:
I'm white male, 22, from Quebec and I've got my CPHL (Commercial Pilot's helicopter license) since about two years. The aviation industry in Canada is terrible and jobs were non-existant last year and with the current economical context it's getting worse, if such thing was possible.
I'm going through university (admin/finance) right now and I was wondering if after my graduation I could be elligible for flight Officer in the CF. Would my prior qualifications helps or will the PC Quotas system will keep me down the list even if I am fully qualified to fly these machines ?

I've got a few hundreds hours of air time, mostly piston but some turbine time as well.

I know the Americans have a fast track program to get civilian aircrews in the US Army as CWO but unfortunatly American citizenship is required.
Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

As I understand it you will need to get retrained from scratch. The good part is that you get paid for it. Military flying is different from civillian flying, and they'll train you to do the job the way the CF wants it done. The good part is that you won't be bogged down in the 'how do I fly this' stuff (at least on the helicopter) and can concentrate on the 'How can I do this job well' stuff.

Good luck! :)

They pretty much told me it was not going to happen because I got my license from a flight school not on their list.

Why each time I try to enlist I get stuck with BS regs is beyond me ...

daedalusx said:
They pretty much told me it was not going to happen because I got my license from a flight school not on their list.

I see a little bit of attitude in your approach.  Perhaps if you dropped it and took an approach along the lines of getting information on ROTP or one of the other Plans that will put you through your university program.  From there apply to join as a Pilot.  A rather simple approach and more likely to get you what you want, than trying to become a pilot right off without any military training.

daedalusx said:

If you think the regs are BS, don't bother joining.

Figures - sometimes the regs make no sense.  Back in 85 I was talking to an Air Force Major that was po'd with the new regulation requiring a University Degree for pilots.  He had a friend that had flown commercial and test planes for 10 years but couldn't get in the military as he didn't have a degree.  Meanwhile they had just recruited a guy with an oceanography degree into the system as a pilot. The Major I was talking to was a pilot without even going to high school.  Raised a good point to - what the h*ll does oceanography have to do with flying a plane?? Why not take the man with a proven record?

Oh well - the system goes on - grind grind.

Could it be argued that the degree issue has more to do with being an officer than being a pilot?  A way (flawed, perhaps) of the CF to insure a certain level of education in its officer corp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back