• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fireball said:
My guess is that SuperSonic had pretty high marks in Gr 11 & 12 - especially math and physics.  Equally as important is the athletics and well-rounded extracurricular activities.  It's the CFAT, Medical and Aircrew selection that ultimately determines whether your in or out.

J

I'm going to guess that supersonicmax can speak for himself. I'm also going to guess that someone who has actualy been accepted for pilot or a recruiter would be the best person to speak about entry requirements.

EStrike101 said:
I meant exchange but anyway.

Why is it hard to do exchange? how do I do it when im in the airforce.

Do you think I will  fly F35 in sted of F18?  I'm 15 now and im going to join when im 19. By the time I get my wing I would only serve on the hornet for a few years then gonna have to switch...

What is the best thing to fly after the hornet?

Given that the wording of your question rules out any choppers (since, IMO, they are significantly better than the Hornet to fly  ;D ), I would then say any slow lumbering transport aircraft would be alright...   >:D

Of course you will get a variety of answers on what is the "best" aircraft to fly, based on every pilot's own experiences.  I did OJT at 441 Sqn and had a fair bit of back-seat time in the 18, but still to this day would choose to go helos in a heartbeat.  Flying feet off the ground in the middle of the dark at 200+ km/h can be pretty spicy!  "À chacun son propre goût."

Regarding the exchange programs, there is a selection process based on an individual's performance, both on his/her aircraft type, but also on their conduct and comportment.  This is especially important as exchange pilots not only capture interoperability issues, but they represent Canada abroad, as well -- mini-ambassadors if you will -- so the "whole package" counts.  

G2G

EStrike101 said:
Awsome. That thing is probably as fun to fly as the 18s.

Could you tell me the rate of people that got in and people that failed?

What was youre average mark in Highschool?  during grade 11 and 12.

I had good marks through all my education.  Low 90s in high school.  There are a lots of people here that had lower marks than that, but with the pool of applicant that there is right now, it certainly doesn't hurt I imagine.  I did a lot of volunteering and I was involved in cadets.  For sports, I was playing a lot of hockey and badminton.  Marks in a particular subject doesn't make any difference IMHO. While I do think that having abilities in physics and maths and having an engineering background (aeronautical especially) will help you understand some concepts, in the long run, it won't make you a better pilot. Flying isn't about what you can do in a classroom.

I joined when I was 16, went to Prep Year in St-Jean, then to RMC for 4 years.  I graduated with a Mech Eng Degree.  I did OJT at 402 Sqn in Winnipeg and I absolutely loved it.  Got to Moose Jaw on March 26th 2007 and Finished phase IIA on October 31st 2007.  I started phase III on February 11 2008 and here I am.  As far as my pilot progression, here it is:

On my Aircrew Selection, 4 got selected for pilot (out of 10 people).  1 was rejected for medical reasons, so that leaves 3.  On Primary Flight Training in Portage, we lost 4 out of 24.  I think this is pretty much average from what I've seen (maybe a little on the high side).  On Basic Flying Training, we started out with 8.  1 was recoursed for medical reasons, 2 decided that flying wasn't for them and 1 failed about mid course.  On the 4 that were left, I was the only one that wanted jets and the only one that got jets.  I did good on Phase IIA on the Harvard.  Flying marks are the biggest deciding factor in your selection, however, officer development (OD) can play a very important role (somebody got kicked out of the phase III course for OD, but apparently he actually deserved it).  OD can play it eighter way:  if your flying marks aren't the greatest but your OD is excellent, you might get what you want anyways, but the opposite is quite true as well.  Ground school marks are a non-issue mostly (not that it isn't important, but (almost) everybody gets a high-90 average).  Out of those that get jets, some will go instructor some will continue onto the F-18.  Lately, people that finished on the Hawk and wanted to go to Cold Lake got to go. 

This is pretty much what happened to me in a nutshell

SupersonicMax

Marks in a particular subject doesn't make any difference IMHO. While I do think that having abilities in physics and maths and having an engineering background (aeronautical especially) will help you understand some concepts, in the long run, it won't make you a better pilot. Flying isn't about what you can do in a classroom.

Too right.  We had more than a few people on my course with an arts degree.  Sciences may not interest you in high school, but when you're learning the physics of flying and the science of combustion, something that is very important in your future career, things start to get very interesting and (dare I say) fun.  And that can make a huge difference in how well you do academically.

Flying marks are the biggest deciding factor in your selection, however, officer development (OD) can play a very important role.  OD can play it either way:  if your flying marks aren't the greatest but your OD is excellent, you might get what you want anyways, but the opposite is quite true as well.

Seen that as well.  There was one such student (went pipe instructor and now flying Hornets) who had some difficulties in the Nav phase.  This was in the Tutor before the benefit of GPS.  ;D  We logged his distance flown in that phase (basic and advanced) and determined that he had flown from BC to NS and down to Florida.  But he had the drive and attitude and a great personality.  Fairly down to earth.

Very VERY true. My dad went through Moose Jaw in '83 and he was ranked 3rd in Flying (born flyer what can I say) but last in Officer development and he didn't get his first choice (Fighter's F-18's still had new car smell) but went multi and put on the twin otter. In retrospect he had a great career flying the twin otter, Cosmo, Herc and airbus plus got a chance for an AETE postion and is now a first o for Zoom Airlines. I'm in ROTP and to be quite honest just getting to MJ is going to be a challenge so I'm not thinking about what I would like to fly after. If it was up to me I'd fly everything but that is just not possible. As for the fitting in the aircraft part of things, you have to pass ASC before you even get to the medical so I would focus on getting through that and if your too tall well you can control that part of things but you can control your ASC outcome. So give it your all and you'll never find out unless you try!

And at the very worst, know that not making it as a pilot is not the end of the world - it didn't seem to hold this chap back, after all  ;D :

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/55105.0.html

Best of luck in your endeavours!

Not becoming a CF Pilot isn't the end of the world - I agree, however, it certainly does hurt when you are on the ground looking up at a pair of CF-18s streaking across the skies at 600 MPH.  Drives me nuts everytime...knowing that some fellow is living "my" dream.

J

Fireball said:
Not becoming a CF Pilot isn't the end of the world - I agree, however, it certainly does hurt when you are on the ground looking up at a pair of CF-18s streaking across the skies at 600 MPH.  Drives me nuts everytime...knowing that some fellow is living "my" dream.

J

Can't deny that (been there, almost done that) - like losing a first love, though, it eventually goes away when you find your new passion.

Fireball said:

J

It's not your dream, but also the dream of the guy flying it.

Hey guys, I'm from Montreal and for the past several months I've had a main focus in life and that was to become a pilot in the Canadian forces. Since that point in time I decided that this is what I want to pursue as a career, and a good amount of my free time has been spent researching our current fleet, the training process, and anything else pertaining to becoming a pilot in the CF. I'm always concerned with trying to improve my application to make me as competetitive as possible. I'm basically writing this post for some input and advice as to how good (or bad) of a candidite I'd be when selection comes around, and things I can improve on. So here goes a brief bio...

I just turned 21 and am attending Civi U at Concordia University (Economics major). My GPA is nothing to brag about being a 2.5. I've played many sports and activities my whole life. I started out playing soccer and being an all-star in houseleague (as a kid). I then played baseball as starting pitcher. After that I became captain of my hockey team and played center. I then got involved in snowboarding for a few years. About 7-8 years ago I discovered skateboarding, and was hooked ever since (until I started focusing my attention on becoming a pilot). I was very competitive for many years in skateboarding, it was my passion. I am currently volunteering as a 'big brother' to a 13 year old, and I go to the gym on a regular basis (3 times a week). I am also apart of a fraternity in my university. I am in excellent shape (160 lbs / pure muscle), and am approximately 5'10. I am planning on applying as a DEO in a year, because I graduate in 1.5 years.

I am very passionate about things that I get involved in, and I am definately passionate about becoming a pilot. What concerns me is the fact that my university marks aren't so great, but I heard that it won't make/break me. Any input / advice would be amazing. Thanks for spending the time reading this drawn out message guys, very much appreciated.

Snyper

Marks at University are not a deal breaker - if you have the degree, you get a check in the box.

Stick with the extracurricular stuff - stay active in sports and volunteering.  You seem to have the well rounded application that they are looking for.  Get involved in some leadership activities around campus - this shows the CF that you have some potential.

Start your application now - you may be picked up early and put on LWOP while finishing school.  Alternatively, you may be picked up and the CF may decide to pay your last year and get you started early. 

Some advice I'd give would be to try to get some flying lessons in, and if possible, get yourself a Rec. permit or PPL. It is definately an expensive endeavour to undertake, but besides looking good on your application it will offer you something to share with your friends/family for years to come. It shows that you have a genuine interest in flying, and will make you a more competitive applicant.

I was fortunate enough to have my education subsidized by the CF and therefore was able to invest the money I would have otherwise spent on tuition in flying. All said and done, getting my licence (just a basic PPL, no instrument or VFR-OTT endorsements....yet) rang me up about $8000-$9000. Best thing I have ever done by far, but I would never have been able to afford flying AND tuition.

Also, you can explore some different entry plans (IE. CEOTP, and ROTP). Just as Zoomie said, go in and speak with someone and get the ball rolling, because there may be an opportunity for you that you don't even know about yet.

Good luck.

Mods,

Can this please be merged with one of the many "I wanna be a pilot" threads out there?  Otherwise we're just going to get more of the same.

Another question, does the fact that I go to Civi U as oppose to RMC for DEO put me at a disadvantage when it comes to selection boards? Also, (if you know) are DEO applicants prefered over an ROTP or CEOTP applicant?

Thanks alot,

Snyper

snyper21, try using the search function.  I'm sure most of your questions have been asked and answered here already.

PMedMoe said:
snyper21, try using the search function.  I'm sure most of your questions have been asked and answered here already.

...and specifically in this thread, which is why it was merged in the first place.

Short answer incoming:

DEO and ROTP are two separate entities that have nothing in common when it comes to selection.  With DEO applicants they are getting you into the training system ASAP vice ROTP which is a 4 year commitment to maybe seeing you in the system 5 years later.

Hi All,

I have a question regarding ROTP-Civi U.

I recently came back from ACS and passed the CAPSS and am assuming the medical as well (although I don't know for sure).  Before I had left I received a conditional offer for Air Operations with my only choice being pilot.  I have one year left of my degree program and am wondering when the CF typically informs applicants of whether they will receive an offer or not (especially since the fall semester is rapidly approaching).

Thanks in advance...

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back