• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So, I think I may have screwed up!

Maybe I'm a little late on this, but I feel I should toss out some suggestions...

I know I hate push-ups...  I used to be good at them (in Junior High), but once I hit my mid to late teens (I'm 21 now) I just couldn't rock them.

I can do about 30-35 now (on a good day), but there was a time where under 20 was a regular thing.

You can do what most people would recommend (with good reason) and lay on the floor and just start pounding them out 4 times a week.  If you do that you'll increase them, but if you're like me and you just hate doing them, you could try bench presses.  Those are what I did and they've helped me increase my push-up ability quite a bit.  I added 10+ pushups to my max simply by doing benchpresses... Albeit I do other strength training stuff, but it's a suggestion none the less.

edit:  I was thinking about why I hated pushups and why I don't mind them now...  I think it was because I sucked so bad at them and it always annoyed me when I'd lay down to do them and I'd have that constant reminder that I'm a wimp at them.  Once I got better at them, I felt way more confident and okay with getting down and busting them out.

Petamocto said:
The key is that you must push yourself to the point of failure and keep trying.

Thanks, that is probably the best advice.

Owa, thanks your post is much appreciated. I am similar in a way. I hate doing weights--I get bored and opt for cardio most of the time!! Then I push myself to do the pushups!!

I have finals all this week and next and after that only training!!

I found for push ups, I started doing them all day, everywhere. Every time I was in a room by myself I'd drop and do as many push ups as I could. You may get some odd looks when people get back and you're red in the face and breathing heavy, but screw them, they're not the ones training for the military, so who cares what they think anyway. :)

You do have to keep in mind that although the requirements are universal, every person is different. Don't get too down on yourself, just keep at it. If it makes you feel any better, I'm one of those natural metabolism, in shape builds, running the 1.5 mile (2.4 k) in about 9 minutes, doing double the recommended push ups & sit ups... but I can barely tread water. I have eye witness accounts that state I clearly sink like a rock while holding my breath in water. Buoyancy = 0, and experience swimming infinitely approaches 0. So remember for each of us there are strong points and weak ones. There are challenges for everyone, we all need to hang in there and find a way to make it work.

mew!

mewingkitty said:
I found for push ups, I started doing them all day, everywhere. Every time I was in a room by myself I'd drop and do as many push ups as I could. You may get some odd looks when people get back and you're red in the face and breathing heavy, but screw them, they're not the ones training for the military, so who cares what they think anyway. :)

mew!

hhahaha... thanks! that is exactly what  I am doing right now-or at least trying!! I try and wait till there are less people around!! But,  It's still painful---
1.5 miles in 9 minutes!! (wow, I wish I could do that; I am more like 1 mile in 9  mins)

haha.. I realize this is not an online diary!  :p

But just last week I started training on my own and I have been pretty much in pain.  :crybaby:  I've spent an hour and a half everyday doing a mix of weights and cardio. 
It appears I can't afford a personal trainer (45$ per hour) or bootcamp (~300$ for one month--12-15 sessions)!! So, I am trying to do it all on my own!

This week I've increased my intensity:
3.5 mile run. 60 situps (2 sets at different intervals); lots of planks; weight lifting and using weight machines...

I've reduced my caloric intake: ~1800 calories per day; but, my dairy intake is the same (milk/yogurt/cheese) -->is this good or bad? I am 5'7 and weigh 64kg...... I guess you could say I don't have belly fat only rounder/ plump-looking thighs--lol So, I am hoping the running will help with that!!

Number of push-ups is 4 right now!!  :camo:

What I found helpful to do more push-ups is 1) do lots of upper body workouts especially triceps, dips and such....and 2) I have a backpack with about 20 pounds inside which I do push ups daily with. I do 5 with the back pack on wait a minute or so then do 10 without the back pack. Do that a couple times a day.

Don't rush the pushups with the pack on, last thing you want is an injury. I do them slow to moderate and don't do more than I can. Set goals...this week 5 per session with back pack. Next week 6 (or 7) with pack. You need to build in increments...gung-ho is going to have disasterous consequences. I've still got a couple months to train and I'm not rushing anything. 

Baqi,

if you don't mind answering, where are you located?  There may be people on here from the same area as you that might be interested in partnering up for some "PT" sessions.  Teamwork is always encouraged in the military, why not start now?

I know my girlfriend has a friend that she meets up with to go to the gym. It seems easier to have someone pushing you I guess.

Note to self: no push-ups while wearing jeans with a belt at random places.  ::)  FML
I am having lower abdominal pain (localized)  only when I am doing push-ups/planks and crunhes!! I feel no pain while walking; there is no pain when I apply pressure... Anyone have a similar experience? And, how long should I avoid crunches, now? Thanks....

@Bzzliteyr: I live in the "gateway to the north", "Oil City", "city of champions"  :D

Back