• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Snow Shoes

- If you still have the old ones at home, do not - NOT - allow someone to snip off a bit of magnesium from the trail of the snowshoe and put it on a hot stove element to see if it burns bright.  It will.

"Never, EVER, push the red button!!"

"uhhh... sure"

I've got old ones in the basement at the moment... and I suddenly have this urge to dig them out... I scare myself sometimes. >:D

I should really go get myself a pair of snowshoes for winter indoc, might be a little rough if I don't....

I was researching the snowshoes we sell at work the other day....

http://www.gvsnowshoes.com/eng/index.html

Having no experience with the ones they made for the CF, the civie ones look pretty top notch........I only have 5 different styles in stock.

Gore

Panzer Grenadier said:
I should really go get myself a pair of snowshoes for winter indoc, might be a little rough if I don't....

If you go thru a winter indoc without practicing snowshoes, you haven't gone thru a winter indoc.

Wonderbread said:
"Never, EVER, push the red button!!"

"uhhh... sure"

I've got old ones in the basement at the moment... and I suddenly have this urge to dig them out... I scare myself sometimes. >:D

TTIWWOP

geo said:
If you go thru a winter indoc without practicing snowshoes, you haven't gone thru a winter indoc.

Practicing snowshoes means issue snowshoes, which is what I need to get.  Now whether they will give them to me is another story.

Panzer Grenadier said:
Practicing snowshoes means issue snowshoes, which is what I need to get.  Now whether they will give them to me is another story.

If you are in a first line field Unit, then your supporting staff should be able to obtain these for your course 'en masse.'

As I stated before, there is no longer an entitlement for individuals to be issued these items unless posted into that first line field Unit; even then, those troops are issued on a temp basis for the duration of that posting from the Unit CFFET.

Ask me if I agree with that -- my answer would be "no." One man -- One kit. Each field soldier should be issued their snow shoes permanently onto their clothing docs for retention throughout their postings/taskings and career.

The reasoning you'll hear for it not being so with the new generation snowshoes is that it costs too much money on an already tight CF budget dealing with a major deployed international operation. My personal thoughts are that the monies saved by cutting the adminny leg-work by 1st Line Unit Sup Techs (who are already vastly overburdened with crap work being re-directed at them from second line -- where it should be) and the manhours required to issue/return/issue/return/issue/return over and over again with this new "way ahead" would itself pay for enough snowshoes for the entire Army ... and perhaps the Air Force too. And, just look at the PYs it would save for both the troops requiring the snow shoes ... and the ones who get to see the same smiling faces on the same troops showing up a couple times a week to get issued them/return them/get issued them ... yadda yadda yadda.

Guess I must be lucky Vern I still got mine permanently issued.

ArmyVern, I'm a reservist based in Ottawa, so I would have to go to NDHQ to get them.  Not being in a first line field unit, I highly doubt I could acquire the new, or possibly the older version, pair of snowshoes.  When I've gone previously, half the time they have been very 'stingy' is probably the best way to put it in issuing me any kit.  I shall have to see if I will be able to get a pair from NDHQ.

Nfld Sapper said:
Guess I must be lucky Vern I still got mine permanently issued.

The old type?

Or the new type?

If the new type -- I guarantee they're not permantenly issued to you. They'd have been signed for on a Temp Loan card at your Unit.

If the old type -- your Unit is another who obviously doesn't action recall messages years old now. No worries -- I hear that NDHQ is in the process of running all the IAs (Individual Accounts -- ie Clothing Docs) to send out a nice big spreadsheet to all clothing support groups -- detailing the particulars of those who have not yet complied with the message direction.

Much like they do with the barrack boxes ...  ;)

Your unit QM should be issuing them out when you need them. Sounds like your Quarter Master ain`t doin the job.

Panzer Grenadier said:
ArmyVern, I'm a reservist based in Ottawa, so I would have to go to NDHQ to get them.  Not being in a first line field unit, I highly doubt I could acquire the new, or possibly the older version, pair of snowshoes.  When I've gone previously, half the time they have been very 'stingy' is probably the best way to put it in issuing me any kit.  I shall have to see if I will be able to get a pair from NDHQ.

Snow shoes ARE NOT a clothing stores item any more. We DO NOT stock or issue them any more. Fuck. The OLD snowshoes are held by MSAs -- and are NOT for individual issue, but rather are signed out in bulk to non-entitled Units (ie Units who are NOT entitled to the new snow shoes) via a TSR (Technical Support Request) submitted through the CoC via G4 Ops to the MSA.

If you are in an entitled FIELD UNIT, then you will be able to get the NEW snow shoes via a temp loan via your Unit's CFFET account. Period. So, talk to your QM at your Unit -- either the Unit is entitled or it's not.

If it's not, I'm quite sure that your winter indoc course staff have probably already submitted a TSR through the proper channels to obtain old style snowshoes for your courses use while it is in session.

In either case -- I'm saving you some time here -- don't bother asking at clothing NDHQ -- like the rest of the national clothing stores -- they haven't stocked or issued snow shoes for about 3 years now. This really is nothing new.

Nfld Sapper said:
Your unit QM should be issuing them out when you need them. Sounds like your Quarter Master ain`t doin the job.

Well, that answers my last question to you then -- you have them on a temp loan ... not a permanent issue.  ;)

Nope Vern mine aren`t on a temp loan card. They are on my personal equipment docs.

Nfld Sapper said:
Nope Vern mine aren`t on a temp loan card. They are on my personal equipment docs.

That is a fancy way of saying "temp Loan."

They aren't issued to you on your electronic clothing docs -- they aren't permanently issued. You can call your paperwork a temp loan, a personal equipment doc, or whatever you wish ... but it isn't a permanent issue. If you're talking the old yellow clothing record -- read on, since they've been "not official" paperwork for quite some time now.

And please, don't tell me that the clothing docs at your Unit haven't been converted to the electronic CFSS IA version yet ... with permanent clothing and equipment issued to your IA, and non-permanent kit remaining on your temp loan paper records ... because that message mandating they be converted and placed "on-line" is also a couple of years old ... with the roll-over to have been completed by 01 Apr 2005. Geez, I love my new job ... the Sup policy & procedure compliance guru ... (I only knew the date because I just had to pull that message last week and forward to one of our local non-compliant ResF Units.)

Your Unit is starting to scare me. No worries ... I'm sure that my fellow bin rat on this site from that big supporting clothing stores in your area, will just love coming across this thread!!  >:D

2.gif
to Vern

Nfld Sapper said:

>:D

No sucking up. I know that you're only trying to suck a pair of snowshoes out of me!!  ;D

(You'd be better off sucking up to Roy in an attempt to get his!!)

ArmyVern said:
>:D

No sucking up. I know that you're only trying to suck a pair of snowshoes out of me!!  ;D

(You'd be better off sucking up to Roy in an attempt to get his!!)

Now why would I want a pair of bear claws when I got a good pair of beaver tails in my garage?

Anyways enough of this.....

:cheers: Vern

Back