• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SNOW DAY Reports

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
Well it looks like we are having a Snow Day for most of the Eastern Seaboard and Central States and Provinces.

I am about to head in to work.  Wonder how that will turn out?  -6 C (-14 C with wind chill)  Winds are supposted to gust up to 60 kph.

Just peeked out my shack window here in Borden (I last checked about an hour ago and all was clear) and it seems that a right-now "white-out" is occuring ... time to auto-start my nice blue Jeep so I'll be toasty warm on my way to the Mess.  :mad:

They are calling for some pretty nasty weather (snow, freezing rain, rain, high winds) starting sometime this evening in Halifax.  Sunny and chilly now at about -8 in Shearwater.

It's weird. CTV is reporting that all bus service is canceled in Ottawa "due to winter storm", but when I look out my window there's 1 cm on the ground and it's barely coming down now.

Oh well, I guess it's anticipated to worsen for the drive home?

Drive in wasn't too bad.  Roads weren't exactly clear, and there didn't seem to be too many idiots on the road doing 100 with All Seasons on.  Saw a couple, with the exception of a Red Light Runner, all seemed to be going the opposite direction.  Average speeds were 60 to 70 with only the odd person keeping 100 m distances from the vehicle in front.  Accident Reports were rather light surprisingly for Ottawa. 

Now to get some things done and wait for the mass exodus to head home.  Guess I will have to rejig the Crse Trg Schedule again. 

For a change, we're OK in Thunder Bay:

9am Thunder Bay: Light Snow -11.8C / 10.76F [Feels Like: -22 C / -7.6F] Wind: NNE 28 km/h 100.5 kPa falling

And we're only expecting 2 cm (less than an inch) of the white stuff.

Good luck to all those snowed in, and stay safe!

8) What is snow? i live in Esquimalt and the  weather is cool crisp and clear . riding my Motorcycle has been great . saying that has just cursed us to 2 -3 weeks snow probably. :-\

Can I request a dog-pile on axeman ?

Sunny and minus 33 windchills here in Thompson as I write this -which means it has actually gone up from Monday morning when I last left for work (it was minus 39 then).
Calling for minus 41 on Saturday morning when I head back to work again.
Should warm up by April...

I can't wait to hear what results from that Roman orgy in Copenhagen, where they're trying to ensure that it costs more to heat your home!

We need a shivering version of those little yellow (or blue, in this case) smiley things... 

ASU Toronto is open for business but the MIR is shut. Seems they didn't want the Medical Staff on the road this morning.

I'm never going to get my H1N1 or my seasonal flu shot!!

when getting on the bus to come to work this morning the good-natured driver currentlyon my suburban route serenaded me on board with his rendition of Dean Martin's  "It's A Marshmellow World In The Winter".  Bless him !

George Wallace said:
Guess I will have to rejig the Crse Trg Schedule again.

Situation Normal(AFU): Here you are doing the normal thing --- fixing something that isn't broken.

What you should have done was fix the Res F pay system instead of wasting taxpayers money.  >:D

Still coming down hard here in Ottawa. the plows are out and about, but I don't see side streets getting much coverage yet. Lots of ambulance traffic.

I left CTC Gagetown at around 16:30.  No snow on the ground.  By the time I got to Geary (a few km away), the snow had started, and how!  The roads were brutal.  I almost hit a car in front of it me as it went to turn, but instead went sideways.  The plows are busy on the roads as I type this, and I'm certain that there will be no school tomorrow, but there WILL be ARMY school, 'cause that's how we roll, baby!  8)

The snow started to fall around 1800 here in Halifax but with an expected high of 8 degrees Celsius tomorrow, I am not expecting a snow day here.

Brihard said:
Still coming down hard here in Ottawa. the plows are out and about, but I don't see side streets getting much coverage yet. Lots of ambulance traffic.

Yea?  Go out and shovel your walk/driveway.  The plow is waiting just around the corner.  That is what just happend to me, as I shoveled the last little bit at the curb, and was picking up my Black Box, and as my neighbour was driving down the street.  I picked up my box, and watched as he put a pile at the end of her driveway and mine.  After supper I broke out the blower.

ArmyVern said:
Situation Normal(AFU): Here you are doing the normal thing --- fixing something that isn't broken.

What you should have done was fix the Res F pay system instead of wasting taxpayers money.  >:D

Was an easy fix.  It is the last Wed night and last Weekend of the Mod 1.  Luckily, I had no Friday night scheduled for this weekend, so that is now filled.  Then as there was no driver for Sunday, and both Sat and Sun had more or less half days of Review and Admin, everything got shifted forward to Sat.  Now all the guys can come out with the rest of the Unit and fire Pistol PWT, do some Cbt Shotgun TOETs, and Search and Detain, on a Sunny Sunday.  Free Lunch.  Always nice to have a fudge factor factored in.    ;D

Double Dipping keeps me less paniced over Pay issues.  Sure am glad that our new CC insists on doing our Claims now, and no longer having to play with Claims-X.  ;D

George Wallace said:
Was an easy fix.  It is the last Wed night and last Weekend of the Mod 1.  Luckily, I had no Friday night scheduled for this weekend, so that is now filled.  Then as there was no driver for Sunday, and both Sat and Sun had more or less half days of Review and Admin, everything got shifted forward to Sat.  Now all the guys can come out with the rest of the Unit and fire Pistol PWT, do some Cbt Shotgun TOETs, and Search and Detain, on a Sunny Sunday.  Free Lunch.  Always nice to have a fudge factor factored in.    ;D

Double Dipping keeps me less paniced over Pay issues.  Sure am glad that our new CC insists on doing our Claims now, and no longer having to play with Claims-X.  ;D

When did you guys get qual'd on shotguns  >:D

;D

George Wallace said:
Yea?  Go out and shovel your walk/driveway.  The plow is waiting just around the corner.  That is what just happend to me, as I shoveled the last little bit at the curb, and was picking up my Black Box, and as my neighbour was driving down the street.  I picked up my box, and watched as he put a pile at the end of her driveway and mine.  After supper I broke out the blower.

There are occasionally benefits to being a poor student living in an apartment and having no car. :D

NFLD Sapper said:
When did you guys get qual'd on shotguns  >:D

;D

Just doing TOETs on them........9mm Parabellum doesn't work to well in them.    ;D

Back