• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sniper stops insurgents from 950 yards

As I recall one of the reasons the Marines pushed the M16A2? with the higher twist and the SS109 round was that they were looking for a weapon that a rifleman could hit a man at 800m.

This from someone who completely missed a fig11 at 300m -  did a heck of a job on my buddy's target though .

Stories like this one were released to raise the morale of the troops. I hope to see more stories like them. We hear to much of what we are doing wrong.

Making four consecutive shots at a range of 950 yds (869 m) is indeed very good shooting, but is not in any way magical. Clearly, this marine was consistently applying the principles of marksmanship to make those shots. 900m (1000 yds) is generally considered the maximum effective range of .308 based sniper systems. The biggest weakness with the caliber is its vulnerability to get pushed around by the wind. Snipers shooting at that range require spotters with excellent wind-reading skills for consistent performance. A point of interest, the article makes no mention of his spotter.

The system the marine was using, the M40A3, seems a decent system with the obvious weak point being the Unertl scope. If it is the same model used on the Canadian C3, which I think it is, then it is crap. It has a very limited windage adjustment, something like 9 Minutes Of Angle (MOA). If you are shooting into a 12 MOA cross-wind you need to use a comination of sight-adjustment and aiming-off. Hardly the ideal. There are a number of other problems as well.

Regarding sniper identification; The British Army started concealing the identities of their snipers in the late seventies after it was found that the IRA was reading copies of the base newspapers back in England and determining the identities of new snipers from photo-laden course graduation articles. When the sniper's unit would deploy to Northern Ireland, the IRA would send threatening letters to their families. The CF Sniper School adopted the same security policy in the early 80's (I think) as a result of the British Army's experiences. I can't imagine why the US doesn't do the same thing.

The furthest I have fired from was 600 yds. and that was with the old F.N. and the target was small and that was when I had good eye sight hate to try it now wearing testicles.

I did fire the C7 (iron sight) from 400 at Slesee Range at the old annual Blair Shoot for Militia Units in B.C. and I did score 28 out of 35(not sure of the total points) which amazed me but alas a Seaforth/Can.Scot.? got a perfect score from 400m. with the C7.
Prone position mind you. ;)

;D ;D
How do you wear them when firing ??  ;)  And how do they affect your results ?? ;D ;D

Nick when you started out I thought they issued you the old Lee Metford :D

The effective range of a C7 isn't even that far, even with a section.

.308 vs .223  (7.62 vs 5.56)

"Effective range" I always laughed when that term is used considering the round was made for varmits not humans.  ::)

It's very effective on ground hogs at 600yds  ;D

I have shot an 5.56mm at 600yrds on the cannought ranges. I have also shot a 7.62mm at 900yrds.
(this was all within cadets at the cannought ranges with target rifles.)

Back