• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Smokers and physical fitness test

Bobby147

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an applicant for DEO.

My security clearance is being processed and it will take some time. CFAT, interview and medical test is clear.

I still have to pass physical fitness test.

I have a question:

1. I am smoker. With practice I am confident about my push ups and sit ups, but I am worried about step test as I get tired easily. May be smoking is a factor. ( I smoke about a pack a day, started three years back, and feel that my stamina is decreasing.).

I will appreciate advice from smoker who have passed physical test.

Thanks,  :salute:

Bobby

Simple answer: QUIT SMOKING! 

However, if this very practical and potentially life-saving solution is not, for whatever reason, an option, I'd recommend ignoring it altogether.  Get in shape and don't let your smoking become an excuse.  I've had officers on course who constantly smoked yet were able to set a great pace and be in better shape than most people there. 

Run.  When you're done, run some more.  Just keep running.

Bobby147 said:
Hi all,

I am an applicant for DEO.

My security clearance is being processed and it will take some time. CFAT, interview and medical test is clear.

I still have to pass physical fitness test.

I have a question:

1. I am smoker. With practice I am confident about my push ups and sit ups, but I am worried about step test as I get tired easily. May be smoking is a factor. ( I smoke about a pack a day, started three years back, and feel that my stamina is decreasing.).

I will appreciate advice from smoker who have passed physical test.

Thanks,   :salute:

Bobby

Hi bobby!

I am also a smoker. I smoke about 1/2 a pack to a pack a day.
I did not pass my first pt test(failed the push ups), but I had no issues with the step test.
It was easier than I was expecting, but the music leaves something to be desired.
I do have my retest on wednesday and am ready for it.

I am sure you will do just fine as long as you have kept up with your running and such.

Good Luck!!!

I once knew a guy who would stop at the half way of a 10 km run have a cigarette(I would pass him smoking at the side of the trail) and still be able catch me before the end point and finish in around 40 mins. Smoking is not always a factor in physical abilities. Of course quitting would always be a step in the right direction, health wise.

Please remember that the entrance physical standard is a minimum standard.  I assure you that the physical requirements while training are greater than that which are expected when you show up for your entrance physical.  For example, I was only required to do 7 pushups for my entrance physical (age and gender) but the requirements for BMQ/IAP have been greater and I have no doubt that CAP will be even more demanding.  I am sure the same applies to running and the step test.

So, in short, don't set the entrance standards as the benchmark of physical fitness required of serving CF members.  It might get you through the door but it won't carry you through training.

Just my .02.

Just keep running....I smoke a pack a day and for some reason my cardio endurance is very sound. That's what the guy told me  at my pt.  Then again , I have been running 3 to 4 times a week for the last year and a half.

I, too, know a guy who used to stop for a smoke break during a 10K (makes me wonder if it is the same guy mentioned above???).  He used to jokingly claim that his cardio was so good because his lungs got a 1/2 pack a day work out because he was a smoker and mine only got 1/2 hour while I was running!

While I am sure that his rationale defies medical scrunity, I have to admit he was a good runner.  That being said, I often wondered what type of runner he would be if he didn't smoke.

I am a smoker. Recently cut down a bit (only smoke at work or in the field, now) but still a smoker.

I also keep physically active (running, rugby, hockey) which gives me a good cardio base. I had no problems with the step-test, but that's not smoking or not-smoking. It's the Cardio.

If you are running, and are working out, keeping active, you'll do fine, smoker or not.

BTW, on my BMQ, they didn't always give us enough time to finish our smokes on smoke breaks and do the required ammount of push-ups before entering the school. So we finished off our smokes while doing our push-ups. One guy used a pipe. We called em smoke-ups, or pipe-ups.

scoutfinch said:
I, too, know a guy who used to stop for a smoke break during a 10K (makes me wonder if it is the same guy mentioned above???).  He used to jokingly claim that his cardio was so good because his lungs got a 1/2 pack a day work out because he was a smoker and mine only got 1/2 hour while I was running!

While I am sure that his rationale defies medical scrunity, I have to admit he was a good runner.  That being said, I often wondered what type of runner he would be if he didn't smoke.

I, too, have met more than a few excellent runners in my day who smoked like the proverbial chimney. They usually liked to make fun of the slower non-smokers. However, the majority of the people that come to mind in this regard (runners who smoked) were young (under 35) at the time, and now that they are older, I don't recall see any of them out running at all any more. I don't know if it's because they feel they don't need to, or that they can't (due to a long period of smoking). I know of a guy who used to joke that smoking made the PT more challenging.

The mentality of thinking "I'm a better runner as a smoker than those around me who don't smoke, so I may as well keep smoking" is a pretty weak justification to continue to smoke (as you can no doubt tell, I am a non-smoker (life long)), as I doubt that there are any elite runners (i.e. Olympic caliber) that smoke, or do anything that would be performance reducing. I'd like to think that all CF members would strive to "be all they can be", and not do things that effect them negatively (smoking, excessive drinking, poor eating habits, no exercising, etc), but that is wishful thinking at best. I am guilty of a few of those sins (in the past) to some degree, but have seen the errors of my ways, and have 3 children that need a father around, and taxpayers that expect maximum performance for their dollar.

I echo the advice to go for well above the minimum standard, as that will give you a greater chance at success (completing training) than if you just squeak by the minimum requirement. And then try to surpass that level, until you are the best that you can possibly be.

Al

like others have said the best thing to do is quit smoking, its hard but so is army life sometimes am i right. i have seen some smokers that are awesome athletes.... and if they didnt smoke i would be scared of what they would be able to do physically

Hey Bobby147!  I'm in the same situation, all the paperwork has been submitted... just that waiting thing is a killer!  ...but what a better time to get in shape.  I've been smoking 1/2 ~ 1/3 pack a day for ten years and just joining now.  I've found by taking the stairs everywhere you go really helps for the last two weeks, I've been on the patch.  There's been a few not-so-good days, but you can't dwell on them!  Not sure if you've tried Zyban, but that really works as well--definitely keeps you motivated and your spirits up!  Everytime I've had a craving, instead of putting on my jacket and going outside for a smoke, I've found that doing sit-ups and push-ups kills the craving!  Odd huh?  Hopefully we hear something soon in regards to our job offerings and a scheduled PT Test.  Keep in touch, let me know how you make out!  ...cheers from Edmonton!    :army:  :cdn:  :blotto:

Thanks all,

Your replies are motivational.

I have reduced smoking to 3-4 sticks a day now....

CommIT when did they start your pre-sec?

Take care,

Bobby

Back