• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Skyhawk Wings and Berets

alan_li_13

Inactive
Reaction score
My CO just came back from Holland for the VE Day celebrations. Since he knew i applied to the Cadet CF Basic Para course, he brought me back an AWESOME poster of the Skyhawks with all their autographs.
I was looking at it and thinking about them and thought about what their wings and Berets would look like. I went on their site, looked around, and got even more curious.
As a member of the Skyhawks, would you have White or Red wings, because i have read that white wings result from being in an OPERATIONAL jump unit. The skyhawks would be in that category right?
And also, some of the guys on the team wear Green, Red, and Air Force blue berets. How come they do not wear the Maroon berets? I do not believe that this is a question of what their home unit was, as there is quite alot of service battalion guys on there with Maroon berets.

BTW, here's the Skyhawks site with the members of the demo team. http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/3_3_1_1_1.asp

If you read the biographies, the majority of those wearing the Maroon Beret were/are posted to the CPC, where they are authorized to wear the Maroon Beret. I would be curious on the white/red wings status...

If you read the biographies, the majority of those wearing the Maroon Beret were/are posted to the CPC, where they are authorized to wear the Maroon Beret. I would be curious on the white/red wings status...

I was wondering about the other members who are just members of the team though, some wear the air force berets, even though they are with the Skyhawks.

I would be curious on the white/red wings status...

They are authorized to wear the white wings as they are in designated parachute positions.

Looking at the pictures and Unit: information it looks like they wear whatever their home unit does. For home units that have those filling jump positions wear maroon berets they would as well. From the how to become a SkyHawk information there is no service branch requirements so Air Force and Navy could become members if they had the qualifications. Of course it's probably easier to become jump qualified in the Army and Air Force than in the Navy.

The requirements to be a skyhawk are posted on there site http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/3_3_1_1_6.asp

If You Are Already in the CF, Here's How to Augment the Team For a Season
The Canadian Forces Parachute Team - The SkyHawks is organized under the authority of CFAO 50-22 and is composed of parachute trained personnel posted to the Canadian Parachute Centre at CFB Trenton. Augmentation to the team is required annually and is open to all CF members who meet the following minimum criteria:

Qualified Basic Parachutist (NCO - AHMD, Officer - AEIM);

Qualified QL4 or Second Lieutenant in any trade or classification;

Qualified Military Freefall Parachutist or hold an "A" certificate issued by the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association with a minimum of 50 freefall jumps; and,

Be recommended by their unit Commanding Officer.
Members who apply must be prepared to pass the Para physical fitness test upon their arrival at the Canadian Parachute Centre.

Those "service batallion guys" are riggers - and they generally have more jumps than anyone in a jump company - even if they started out as navy supply techs....

Speaking of the SkyHawks... They're dropping into my High School's football/soccer field on the first day of school next year, should be a fun and interesting day!

"They're dropping into my High School's football/soccer field on the first day of school next year, should be a fun and interesting day!"

....for them.

Watching other people jump is like watching grass grow.

FWIW - those are the bare mins posted to get into the SkyHawks.

I was recommended to get my B lic and level I coach prior to applying.  The justification given was the B shows your compentant and confident in the air and the coach shows your willing to help others out as well.

Ditto to Tom - if you did not jump in you missed half the Ex  ;)

and an 11k fearfall  ;D is a lot more of a rush than static line

TCBF said:
"They're dropping into my High School's football/soccer field on the first day of school next year, should be a fun and interesting day!"

....for them.

Watching other people jump is like watching grass grow.

I find it interesting...

...A lot more interesting than some crappy pep-rally.

It's cool for the first few times you see it, and then it becomes redundant.

However, seeing many drops now, I can say the skyhawks and the first double door mass exit I saw were great to watch.

Wow mikem, you must have seen a whole lotta jumpin since 2004, maybe one day you too can try it. Now,why don't you try to educate and inform instead of belittle someone that gets excited about the 'hawks, after all, he's only in High School!

Wow mikem, you must have seen a whole lotta jumpin since 2004, maybe one day you too can try it. Now,why don't you try to educate and inform instead of belittle someone that gets excited about the 'hawks, after all, he's only in High School!

He's right, ya know. And besides, seeing the Sky Hawks landing into a school field and signing autographs and such might inspire some kids who have an otherwise mundane future want to sign up for something exciting like the CF. Heck, when my CO got me that poster, i was excited as heck, did some research, and now i'm seriously considering trying out for the Sky Hawks as one of my new goals in life.  ;D

GO!!! said:

BURN

I had a good mate who was with the Skyhawks,   :cdn: WO Larry Hartenburger   :cdn:, a former citizen of Weyburn, Saskatchewan, and was a member of the Regina Rifles, when I first signed on back in 1976. Larry was a member of A Coy, and was my Section Commander. He went on to bigger and better things, and ended up with the Loyal Eddies, and later returned to the RRR, when in January 1990, he sadly passed away after injuries, and then illness he recieved in Canada's arctic while parashooting with the CF.

The Unit was very proud of Larry's past, and he was truly an asset to any unit he belonged to. He was well respected by his peers, subordinates, and superiors.

15 yrs on, I often think of him, and for those that knew him, his loss is still very close to the surface.

Here's to ya Larry :salute:

Cheers,

Wes

GO!!! said:

Agreed, will keep observations to myself, no belittling was intended.

Back