• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Situational Awareness

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert WASP.
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
From here

to here.

With a side trip to here.

Where does the civil begin and the military end?

How high is up?

From birds on the runway to High Earth Orbit. The flyers could be civil or military on any given day, manned and unmanned, with the odds favouring it being a civil user.

0 to 40,000 km ASL.
Manned, unmanned and debris, with or without hostile intent.

Trying to integrate NORAD with NAVCan GBAD, the RCA, the RCN, the RCAF and the Canadian Space Agency.

I'd sooner the government were spending cash on trying to figure that out than hiring new bureaucrats.

You are again over thinking the concept.
NavCan isn’t going to be in the GBAD business.

There is a distinct line of Civilian support versus Military.

The article is solely about opening up a ‘space map’ commercial and doesn’t include any aspects about GBAD or linking Military Defense Systems to Government Civilian systems.

You are again over thinking the concept.
NavCan isn’t going to be in the GBAD business.

There is a distinct line of Civilian support versus Military.

The article is solely about opening up a ‘space map’ commercial and doesn’t include any aspects about GBAD or linking Military Defense Systems to Government Civilian systems.

You're underthinking :p

Sensors are sensors and data are data. The accumulation of sensors, and the overlap of the information from those sensors, creates a seamless picture of all the stuff in the skies from 0 m ASL to 40,000 km ASL. It constitutes another form of weather. Bird strikes, windshear, thermals or UAVs - all of them are hazards to navigation. Some of them can be dealt with. Some must be avoided. Some are showstoppers.

The integration of all the data into one package generates a Common Picture. Everybody then reads off the same map.

What the end-user decides to do with that info is up to the end-user.

GBAD and NAVCan are both going to be integrated into NORAD's structures. All are going to be working with the same map.

As to when this will happen? It's happening.

I would have been happy if your opening statement had a comma after NAVCan.

Telemetry data is what it is, but there are significantly different mandates, equipment and personnel for GBAD than navigation.

Same map? I tend to disagree, as while public info flows into Defense entities, some information does not flow back.

I would have been happy if your opening statement had a comma after NAVCan.

Telemetry data is what it is, but there are significantly different mandates, equipment and personnel for GBAD than navigation.

Same map? I tend to disagree, as while public info flows into Defense entities, some information does not flow back.

I think that dataflow was what the space data article was all about. Commerce needs granular as much as the military does.
Also, Ukraine may be benefiting from US and NATO assets but a lot of their success is available to open source info. Info that the enemy also has access to.

Is there sufficient advantage to the secret inputs to justify their costs when the battlefield is observable from 40,000 km to 0 ASL and people are flying hand grenades into bunkers from 5 km away, if not further?

I think that level of detail in a common picture is going to be increasingly important if there is more of this stuff.

In the Cold War roads were for Swedes, Harriers and Jaguars. Now it is the high end aircraft as well.

Back