• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SISIP LTD 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the plunge and contacted my SISIP case manager.

Good news, so it appears...Maybe some others who are affected can glean some valuable info (and dollars) from this response:

'Certainly.  We would only deduct for CPP Disability.  Should you decide to take CPP retirement you would receive it in addition to our benefit.  If you defer CPP retirement to 61 you will still receive the benefit from us.  Either way there is no impact to the benefit you currently receive from us.    It would be CPP Disability that would affect your SISIP benefit.

I hope this answers your question but if not let me know.

Regards,"

Hey all,

Yes this is my first post. Served 25 years in the CF. Was released on a 3(B) medical back in 2004. Was NOT entitled to SISIP OR VOC REHAB.
With all the NEW programs out there I thought that because I was one of the lucky guys that was not entitled to these benefits back then, thought I'd be entitled to them now.
It was only actually after a chief I knew was releasing told me of all his entitlements after his release such as VOC rehab.
Could not actually believe that the CF paid 30K for his tuition for a heavy equipment course and this was without actually releasing medically. He said that it was an entitlement to retrain CF members after their release. I mean good on the CF now finally supporting our troops after release. Forgive my ignorance as I have been out for a while but I really wanted to take the same course but was told by SISIP that I have been out for too long and the military said that the NEW VOC rehab is for NEW releasing members.
Am I missing something here??
Am I not talking to the right people. Just think that this is VERY wrong. Served my country as many other past veterans and would like some of the same benefits that are available now as there was NOTHING for us back then.
Can someone please help? and is anyone else in the same situation?
"Dirty Patricia"

Giving you this benefit wouldn't allow Veterans Affairs to return $1.1 Billion to the general fund.
If they can find reasons not to spend it they can return it. :mad:

I find it odd you wouldn't be entitled. My father was a 3b in 2002 and got his VOC rehab covered.

The reasons why they said I was NOT entitled to it was because my Military Pension combined with my CF Pension equaled more than the 75% if my pay. If it were less then SISIP would have given me the assistance.
AND even if I had the option of VOC rehab(Which is only good up until 2 years after your release), there would have been no assistance from SISIP. They screwed me BIG.
SO, in turn I had to find myself a substandard job. Still had to pay for a mortgage and support my family. I just could not wait for the months of back and forth fighting from DVA, SISIP and myself. Hoping that they would retrain me in something that I actually wanted to do.
In the past 9 years I've jumped from job to job. Just wish I could have chosen a new career path after the CF, something I really wanted. The same as what soldiers are given the option of doing now, even not released medically.
Things just don't seem right.
Pro Patricia!!

Military Pension combined with my CF Pension equaled more than 75% of my pay.

I assume that means that you are getting a Tax Free Medical Pension from the CAF and then your taxable CAF Pension. 

SISIP clearly states how they calculate their entitlements to the member.  You are not being wronged by SISIP if their calculations indicate you are getting more from other sources.  You are not being screwed.   

VAC Vocational Rehabilitation policy:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1209

From a handout (http://www.veterans.gc.ca/pdf/publications/nvc/canvet.pdf):

"If you are medically releasing for any reason or are a released CF Veteran with a service-related injury or illness, you may be eligible for rehabilitation services. In certain cases, spouses, common-law partners and survivors may also access vocational services."

Further:

Do I qualify?
You may qualify for rehabilitation services if you are a Veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces who:

• has medically-released within the last 120 days; or
• has any health problem resulting from your military service that is making it difficult for you to adjust to life at home, in your community or at work.

If you fall under the second point, you may qualify. Suggest you contact VAC (if not already done) at 1-866-522-2122 (toll-free) Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30, local time.

So it sounds that SISIP and VOC Rehad are of course 2 different entities.
Soldiers can retire on a NON medical release after a certain number of years and be given 30K worth of re-education, ALSO collect a TAX FREE DVA pension and a TAXED Military Pension.
And yes serving members release on a non 3(B) release but collect tax free DVA pensions in which they deserve.
It's tough not to be frustrated. I would just like us "Old School" soldiers the same opportunities as new releasing soldiers. To me there are two sets of rules.
Decisions made by civilians with not a day in uniform!
Hoping I can get answers elsewhere.

The different types of VAC benefits are described in another thread.

This thread may be of interest to you:  http://army.ca/forums/threads/115735/post-1318812.html#msg1318812

44inchStone said:
It's tough not to be frustrated. I would just like us "Old School" soldiers the same opportunities as new releasing soldiers. To me there are two sets of rules.

So what you're actually saying is you're pissed off because things have improved for releasing members compared to back in our day??
.....and the 'new beat' goes on.

Under the current system, there are Voc Rehab benefits eligible members can access pre and post release.
Depending on when you access the benefits, SISIP will be the initial source and when those are exhausted,
depending on your case, VAC may extend their version of Voc Rehab to the veteran.

I am no SME on this, just currently going through the process.

One of the best sources for accurate information is your local JPSU.
At least they can direct you to the relevant SMEs.

"The reasons why they said I was NOT entitled to it was because my Military Pension combined with my CF Pension equaled more than the 75% if my pay. If it were less then SISIP would have given me the assistance."

To the best of my knowledge, one does not equate to the other. Regardless of income, training by SISIP for Item 3(a)/3(b) for 2 years after (and in some cases can be extended), has nothing to do with income. I have never heard of anyone receiving rehabilitation trg/funding on any release item other than medical.

When you were released on 3b, were you not provided with a SISIP representative? 

There's lots to reply too.
Bruce Monkehouse thinks I'm pissed because things have improved. What are you talking about? I'll start by saying how happy I am that things have improved for the troops. Over the many years the troops were getting screwed. They have come along way but I still think there is much room for improvement. I joined in 84 and YES things have improved.
As for rehabilitation training other than a medical release, NON medical releases fall under VOC rehab. And yes it runs into the thousands. As I said. A person I know released NON-medically and was retrained through a course that added up to over 30K.
SISIP back then was to be used within two years. YES I was given a SISIP rep.
And yes I was told that I was pretty well entitled to nothing because my military pension and my VAC pension was equal to the 75% required in order for me to collect SISIP.
I do agree that the passage of information for benefits are far better than what they were also. They did NOT volunteer benefits 10 years ago.
Most benefits that I heard I was entitled to pretty well was found out through word of mouth, in recent years.
Programs are much better and forums such as this help soldiers with the information they require to obtain these benefits.
The programs and benefits now are better. Better than what was available.
Now if they can fix the monthly VAC pension problems.
Pro Patricia!

In your OP, do you mean that the CWO wasnt a 3B?  Or that he got VOC rehab while still in before he got released as 3B?  If so, that matches what I got; put on category 3B in 2002, went on VOC starting in 2004, released as 3B in 2005. 

If you were told you couldn't get any VOC due to the amount of money you were receiving, then hopefully you have some piece of paper where they say this. 

Otherwise, have to go with Winnie, I never heard of anyone getting VOC unless they were 3B, and even then that was before the crackdown on people abusing the process.

The person I am speaking of was not released on a 3(b) or any other kind of medical release. He just released.
He just completed his courses adding up over 25k.
Pretty good deal for him.
It was part of the new program where your are retrained or educated in what you choose, after release.
Again. He paid nothing. What an awsome deal that was for him

44inchStone said:
The person I am speaking of was not released on a 3(b) or any other kind of medical release. He just released.
He just completed his courses adding up over 25k.
Pretty good deal for him.
It was part of the new program where your are retrained or educated in what you choose, after release.
Again. He paid nothing. What an awsome deal that was for him

I believe I know what you are speaking of. For Reg Force members that retire they can upgrade there education to civilian equivalent  as long as it has to do with there trade. I don't know much about this program or if its still in effect. Perhaps someone else that knows of this program can inform 44inchstorm of the details.

44inchStone said:
Hey all,

Yes this is my first post. Served 25 years in the CF. Was released on a 3(B) medical back in 2004. Was NOT entitled to SISIP OR VOC REHAB.
With all the NEW programs out there I thought that because I was one of the lucky guys that was not entitled to these benefits back then, thought I'd be entitled to them now.
It was only actually after a chief I knew was releasing told me of all his entitlements after his release such as VOC rehab.
Could not actually believe that the CF paid 30K for his tuition for a heavy equipment course and this was without actually releasing medically. He said that it was an entitlement to retrain CF members after their release.

There's something about your chief's story that's not adding up; generally, the only program available for someone to receive vocational training, that is not releasing medically, is through a program to upgrade their military skills to a civilian equivalent
The limit is $5400, once, as described below in CBI 210.802
www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-210-misc-entitlements-grants.page

Note they have to still be serving, and they need to have prior approval of their Individual Learning Plan, something that is becoming more onerous to do since this type of vocational training has to relate to their current trade, and justify how it benefits the Forces.

It sounds more like the chief got out medically, or perhaps it was awhile ago when the Personal Enhancement Plan was still around. PEP granted up to $20000 for 20 yrs service, for vocational training. During a SCAN seminar in 2001 we were told PEP was eliminated largely due to gross misuse identified by TB audits; a good program ruined by a few selfish a**holes.

Your case is different, and whether you're entitled to voc rehab benefits or not, I would suggest you reach someone at one of the contact sites given below, to find out if anything is available to you.
Won't hurt to ask

www.forces.gc.ca/en/contact.page#benefits

My wife retired some years back and was offered and took membership in this plan. Rates have continually escalated and we asked Manulife what happens at age 75. Their response was the policy dies and any accrued funds are lost to us as this is a "term" policy. Can someone please offer advice/comments on this as we are completely at sea. If its elsewhere please advise.

For Mods: If this subject has come up elsewhere, feel free to move this.

Paid into it for years also. When I retired, they wanted to switch me over. I have insurance already. Given that anyone who has had dealings with SISIP appears to have as much trouble with them as VAC, I said "no thanks" and kept my $60\ month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back