• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SISIP LTD 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Federal treatment of disabled veterans disgraceful
Government actions seem geared to deny what is justly owed to more than 4,000 injured soldiers
By Sean Bruyea, FreelanceJanuary 27, 2010  It has become a sad truth that the path of an injured soldier to receive disability benefits in Canada is a minefield of obstacles. Last Thursday, the Supreme Court of Canada heard about one of those mine-fields.

When Canadian Forces members are injured on duty, they receive pain and suffering payments from Veterans Affairs while keeping their full salary. If soldiers are so disabled as to be unemployable, those soldiers are kicked out of the military and paid 75 per cent of their salary through a long-term disability plan held by the Canadian Forces. Then, in some seeming petty act of revenge, the Canadian Forces insurance plan deducts amounts for pain and suffering paid by Veterans Affairs.

No other long-term disability income plan in Canada is allowed to deduct Veterans Affairs payments for pain and suffering.

This is why Dennis Manuge has brought his case to the Supreme Court of Canada as his case represents more than 4,000 disabled soldiers similarly affected. I am one of the 4,000 disabled soldiers.

The National Defence Ombudsman has called the deductions "profoundly unfair" and said "the inequity might very well be serious enough to attract the protection of human rights legislation" including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, "which identify physical and mental disabilities as prohibited grounds of discrimination."

The Veterans' Ombudsman agrees.

As far back as 2003, the Standing Committee on National Defence and Veterans Affairs unanimously voted to stop the practice. Then members of the opposition, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Defence Minister Peter MacKay, ex-veterans affairs minister Greg Thompson and Treasury Board President Stockwell Day were all associate members of that committee.

In 2006, the majority of Parliament passed a motion which required the government to "eliminate the unfair reduction of SISIP." The Senate Committee on National Security and Defence voted unanimously in 2008 on the "unfair deductions" and recommended "that the government cease the practice immediately."

Yet the deductions continue. Government appeals have forced the case to the Supreme Court of Canada. Except Canada's highest court won't be making a final decision on the deductions. Instead, Canadian government lawyers are arguing a technicality as to whether Manuge can have his case proceed in court or whether he must seek other avenues first.

Manuge and his lawyer must now plead the removal of "artificial and costly legal barriers" placed by Canada in order "to shield itself from liability."

Unfortunately, decision-makers in Parliament and those uber-mandarins at Treasury Board and elsewhere in the bureaucracy who pull the strings of ministers, have often placed pay and benefits of disabled soldiers on the same chopping block as military equipment. Were the pay and benefits of the Federal Public Service in question, it is unlikely that bureaucrats and their strong unions would vote themselves pay freezes or discriminatory benefits.

There's the rub: the military does not have a union. When the uniform comes off, there is no 'top general' of the veteran community or union to defend the rights of a disabled veteran.

In budget terms, life-saving equipment for a soldier in Afghanistan seems imminently more important than the income loss of a few thousand disabled and mostly silent veterans. But for the disabled veterans, life-saving benefits are just as important as the flak vest for a soldier on patrol in Kandahar.

It's not that veterans' benefits have become a political hot potato. It is that veterans' benefits are not publicly debated at all. Canada's top mandarins have excluded the overwhelming majority of veterans, especially the disabled, from any public and meaningful influence as to their destiny.

The bureaucracy presents changes to veteran programs as a fait accompli, a done deal for politicians, the military, veterans and their families.

Essentially, bureaucrats are acting unilaterally, pulling the strings of politicians while telling veterans and their families what they need. This is the reverse of what the 'social contract' should be between Canada and its veterans.

This breach of the 'social contract' is at the core of why many veterans feel abandoned by their country. It is why our disabled and once proud warriors must fight battles in the courts of this land rather than live their remaining years in peace.

Who's at fault? Certainly, the senior bureaucrats who refuse to implement Parliament's will. But what about the parties in power that are unwilling or unable to force bureaucrats to do what Parliament and Canadians have demanded?

In combat, no matter how overwhelming the odds against our soldiers, our men and women in uniform have followed the orders of our government. No matter how powerful the bureaucrats may be, the Harper government like all before it was elected in good faith to order the bureaucracy to implement the will of the people.

Did Stephen Harper not run and become elected on a platform to hold government accountable? Shouldn't his government's commitment to "support the troops" apply to disabled soldiers and extend beyond platitudes?

More than a million Canadians in uniform have followed orders which could and, for more than 100,000, did bring them to their deaths. Why is it that bureaucrats can ignore disabled veterans, their families, oversight agencies, both the House and the Senate, as well as the Canadian Charter, to place absurd obstacles in the path of disabled veterans being compensated justly and fairly?

What does it say to our soldiers dying to bring democracy to Afghanistan when the federal bureaucracy ignores our democratic institutions and continues to discriminate against disabled veterans?

The actions of Canada's government whether it be their lawyers, elected officials or senior bureaucrats appear to seek one goal: to place as many obstacles so that Canada never has to pay what is justly owed to more than 4,000 disabled soldiers.

The risk is that citizens' willingness to sacrifice for a selfish government may diminish in the face of such unfair actions.

How tragic that government treats our disabled soldiers as a fiscal liability and a nuisance instead of being viewed as brave and selfless, the way most Canadians see our veterans.

Sean Bruyea is an Ottawa-based freelance journalist and advocate for the rights of disabled veterans and their families. He served 14 years in the Canadian Air Force as an intelligence officer. He is one of the 4,000 soldiers represented in the class action

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Class Action Suit – Reduction of S.I.S.I.P. Long Term Disability Benefits by the Amount of Pension Act PaymentsManuge v. Her Majesty the Queen
Court No. T-463-07

The Federal Court of Canada has certified the above case as a class action. If you are a former member of the Canadian Forces whose S.I.S.I.P. Long Term Disability plan benefits ("SISIP LTD") have been reduced by the amount of your monthly VAC Disability Pension payable under the Pension Act, you may be a member of the class in this action. If the action succeeds or is settled, your entitlement to an award will depend upon your individual circumstances.

What is the action about?
Under the terms of the SISIP LTD plan, an amount equal to 75% of the disabled former member's pay at release is payable, but is reduced by payments received from the VAC disability pension.

The class action challenges the authority of the Government of Canada to lawfully reduce SISIP LTD benefits by the amount of VAC disability benefits payable, and further challenges the reduction as being discriminatory, contrary to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The claim also alleges breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, breach of public duty and bad faith on the part of the Government of Canada.

The class action seeks, among other things, a declaration by the court that the Government of Canada acted improperly in reducing the SISIP LTD benefits, and repayment of the amounts reduced, as well as punitive, exemplary, and aggravated damages.

All class members will be bound by the judgment, whether favourable or unfavourable, in the class action.

Who are the class members?
The class has been defined by the Federal Court, by Order dated May 20, 2008, as follows:

"All former members of the Canadian Forces whose long term disability benefits under S.I.S.I.P. Policy No. 901102 were reduced by the amount of their VAC disability benefits received pursuant to the Pension Act from April 17, 1985 to date."

The person who brought the lawsuit and who is a class member and the representative plaintiff in the class action is Dennis Manuge, c/o Peter Driscoll, McInnes Cooper, 1300 - 1969 Upper Water Street, Purdy's Wharf Tower II, PO Box 730, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 2V1.

What do I need to do to take part in the class action:
All class members have a right to participate in the class action. You do not need to do anything to participate. You are automatically included in the class action. If you do not want to participate you must opt-out, by completing an opt-out notice available from McInnes Cooper. If you elect not to participate, your opt-out notice must be received by the offices of McInnes Cooper by no later than December 8, 2008. McInnes Cooper can help you confirm whether you are a class member. McInnes Cooper can be reached at the following address: McInnes Cooper, 1300 - 1969 Upper Water Street, Purdy's Wharf Tower II, PO Box 730, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 2V1

Tel:(902) 425-6500
Fax: (902) 425-6350
E-mail: SISIPclassaction@mcinnescooper.com

When contacting McInnes Cooper, please provide:

•Your name;
•Your address;
•Your dates of service in the Canadian Forces;
•Your date of medical release from the Canadian Forces;
•The date upon which you commenced receiving a VAC disability benefit under the Pension Act;
•The date you commenced receiving S.I.S.I.P. Long Term Disability plan benefits
•The amount by which your SISIP LTD benefits were reduced by your VAC Disability benefits.
Do I need to pay anything?
You do not have to pay any direct legal fees out of your own pocket. If the case is not successful, no legal fees will be charged.

By agreement with the representative plaintiffs, counsel fees may be calculated at 30% of any amounts recovered. If a settlement, judgment, voluntary payment or execution or other benefit is obtained, the lawyers will apply to court for approval of a fee that is consistent with the terms of this agreement, or some lesser amount. The court will decide what amount is fair.

This arrangement compensates the lawyers for the risk they have assumed in advancing the case and performing the legal work. The lawyers do not receive any money unless the case is successful. Even if the class action does not succeed, class members are not responsible for the fees of any of the lawyers involved in the case.

Who are the laywers for the class?
Peter Driscoll, McInnes Cooper, 1300 - 1969 Upper Water Street, Purdy's Wharf Tower II, PO Box 730, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 2V1

Ward Branch, Branch MacMaster, 1210 - 777 Hornby Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1S4

Whom do I contact for more information?
For more information or to opt out of the class action, please contact McInnes Cooper at the address set out above. You can also monitor the McInnes Cooper website at www.mcinnescooper.com (Opens in a New Window).

Federal treatment of disabled veterans disgraceful
Government actions seem geared to deny what is justly owed to more than 4,000 injured soldiers
By Sean Bruyea, FreelanceJanuary 27, 2010  It has become a sad truth that the path of an injured soldier to receive disability benefits in Canada is a minefield of obstacles. Last Thursday, the Supreme Court of Canada heard about one of those mine-fields.

When Canadian Forces members are injured on duty, they receive pain and suffering payments from Veterans Affairs while keeping their full salary. If soldiers are so disabled as to be unemployable, those soldiers are kicked out of the military and paid 75 per cent of their salary through a long-term disability plan held by the Canadian Forces. Then, in some seeming petty act of revenge, the Canadian Forces insurance plan deducts amounts for pain and suffering paid by Veterans Affairs.

No other long-term disability income plan in Canada is allowed to deduct Veterans Affairs payments for pain and suffering.

This is why Dennis Manuge has brought his case to the Supreme Court of Canada as his case represents more than 4,000 disabled soldiers similarly affected. I am one of the 4,000 disabled soldiers.

The National Defence Ombudsman has called the deductions "profoundly unfair" and said "the inequity might very well be serious enough to attract the protection of human rights legislation" including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, "which identify physical and mental disabilities as prohibited grounds of discrimination."

The Veterans' Ombudsman agrees.

As far back as 2003, the Standing Committee on National Defence and Veterans Affairs unanimously voted to stop the practice. Then members of the opposition, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Defence Minister Peter MacKay, ex-veterans affairs minister Greg Thompson and Treasury Board President Stockwell Day were all associate members of that committee.

In 2006, the majority of Parliament passed a motion which required the government to "eliminate the unfair reduction of SISIP." The Senate Committee on National Security and Defence voted unanimously in 2008 on the "unfair deductions" and recommended "that the government cease the practice immediately."

Yet the deductions continue. Government appeals have forced the case to the Supreme Court of Canada. Except Canada's highest court won't be making a final decision on the deductions. Instead, Canadian government lawyers are arguing a technicality as to whether Manuge can have his case proceed in court or whether he must seek other avenues first.

Manuge and his lawyer must now plead the removal of "artificial and costly legal barriers" placed by Canada in order "to shield itself from liability."

Unfortunately, decision-makers in Parliament and those uber-mandarins at Treasury Board and elsewhere in the bureaucracy who pull the strings of ministers, have often placed pay and benefits of disabled soldiers on the same chopping block as military equipment. Were the pay and benefits of the Federal Public Service in question, it is unlikely that bureaucrats and their strong unions would vote themselves pay freezes or discriminatory benefits.

There's the rub: the military does not have a union. When the uniform comes off, there is no 'top general' of the veteran community or union to defend the rights of a disabled veteran.

In budget terms, life-saving equipment for a soldier in Afghanistan seems imminently more important than the income loss of a few thousand disabled and mostly silent veterans. But for the disabled veterans, life-saving benefits are just as important as the flak vest for a soldier on patrol in Kandahar.

It's not that veterans' benefits have become a political hot potato. It is that veterans' benefits are not publicly debated at all. Canada's top mandarins have excluded the overwhelming majority of veterans, especially the disabled, from any public and meaningful influence as to their destiny.

The bureaucracy presents changes to veteran programs as a fait accompli, a done deal for politicians, the military, veterans and their families.

Essentially, bureaucrats are acting unilaterally, pulling the strings of politicians while telling veterans and their families what they need. This is the reverse of what the 'social contract' should be between Canada and its veterans.

This breach of the 'social contract' is at the core of why many veterans feel abandoned by their country. It is why our disabled and once proud warriors must fight battles in the courts of this land rather than live their remaining years in peace.

Who's at fault? Certainly, the senior bureaucrats who refuse to implement Parliament's will. But what about the parties in power that are unwilling or unable to force bureaucrats to do what Parliament and Canadians have demanded?

In combat, no matter how overwhelming the odds against our soldiers, our men and women in uniform have followed the orders of our government. No matter how powerful the bureaucrats may be, the Harper government like all before it was elected in good faith to order the bureaucracy to implement the will of the people.

Did Stephen Harper not run and become elected on a platform to hold government accountable? Shouldn't his government's commitment to "support the troops" apply to disabled soldiers and extend beyond platitudes?

More than a million Canadians in uniform have followed orders which could and, for more than 100,000, did bring them to their deaths. Why is it that bureaucrats can ignore disabled veterans, their families, oversight agencies, both the House and the Senate, as well as the Canadian Charter, to place absurd obstacles in the path of disabled veterans being compensated justly and fairly?

What does it say to our soldiers dying to bring democracy to Afghanistan when the federal bureaucracy ignores our democratic institutions and continues to discriminate against disabled veterans?

The actions of Canada's government whether it be their lawyers, elected officials or senior bureaucrats appear to seek one goal: to place as many obstacles so that Canada never has to pay what is justly owed to more than 4,000 disabled soldiers.

The risk is that citizens' willingness to sacrifice for a selfish government may diminish in the face of such unfair actions.

How tragic that government treats our disabled soldiers as a fiscal liability and a nuisance instead of being viewed as brave and selfless, the way most Canadians see our veterans.

Sean Bruyea is an Ottawa-based freelance journalist and advocate for the rights of disabled veterans and their families. He served 14 years in the Canadian Air Force as an intelligence officer. He is one of the 4,000 soldiers represented in the class action

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

I know you're all excited about this article, but does it really need to be posted in every single thread you post to?

Hi All

i am not trying to beat a dead horse with another topic related to the SISIP LTD Clawback of VAC disability monies. I am offering my contact information for those of you who still do not understand the claim-class action, or for those who simply wish to get some `more and updated info from the one source who can give you folks the straight goods. Me!

Respectfully

Dennis Manuge
(902) 889-3230
dmanuge@eastlink.ca

Hi Kat

Sorry to trouble you with important and current info. That is why I started a new topic. My apologies. I will only post on here from now on.

Thanks

You weren't troubling me, and I agree it is very important info.  I was trying to help you out, as multiple postings of the same message to different threads is frowned upon. Good luck in court, I'm cheering for you.

This type of article is in sharp contrast to the articles I see in the newspaper that the VA mails me every month.  According to that source, everything is great and getting better...

is there any updates on this law suit? my dad is one of the soldiers involved in the class action and the most recent letter he has received gave 5 months for this to be over with, which would be this month. He was medically discharged in '99, and has never used a computer so im here on his request. can anyone help with some info

would really like to know what is happening. according to the supreme court  the case is closed and a settlement made. but nobody seems to know what is happening last we heard from the lawyers that a decision would be about 6 months time is up and still nothing. even the mines-copper site has not had any update since last year . can anybody tell use what is going on please

well i can tell you one thing
the case isnt closed, there has been no settlement
my dad has been waiting 11 years,  hopefully they would contact him directly, but this IS the government

McInnes Cooper said the case is still ongoing.  They are still waiting for a decision from the Supreme Court of Canada.
Once they have a decision (hopefully in the fall) they will email their members.
This was the word I received today from that office, best of luck to all concerned.

1stmotors said:
Both my wife and I are retired Primary Reserve personel.  We are both receiving disability pensions for Service related injuries.  She is at 15% and I at 10%, both of which were under the old system. We both are currently applying for a higher disability rate due to other problems, mine being a new claim and her's consequential to the original.  How are these new claims affected under the new Veterans charter. 

Can't speak to the rest of your post, but as far as the new claims go - if yours is a new claim unrelated to the original claimed condition, it will come under the new charter.  If your wife's claim is a consequential, then it will be actioned under the Pension Act.

This C-A Suit has been rather quiet, anyone hear ANYTHING re any update?

I usually don't post anything without a link to back me up, but This update comes from a Post on the Veterans Voice info forums
So I would believe the Post is 100% True and correct, I'll see if I can find the link but this is what was posted.

SUPREME COURT OF CANADA -- JUDGMENTS TO BE RENDERED IN APPEALS

OTTAWA, 2010-12-20. THE SUPREME COURT OF CANADA ANNOUNCED TODAY THAT JUDGMENTS IN THE FOLLOWING APPEALS WILL BE DELIVERED AT 9:45 A.M. EST ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 23, 2010.

Dennis Manuge v. Her Majesty the Queen (F.C.) (33103)

Okay I found the Link Whew, hate posting with out a link for backup
JUDGMENTS TO BE RENDERED IN APPEALS

Veterans' pension lawsuit OK'd by top court
Full Story

And the Supreme Court of Canada Site
Decision
Quote [24]                          I would allow the appeal and reinstate the order of the Barnes J. certifying Mr. Manuge’s class action. 

So it's a Go.... And we're off to the Races again

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/supreme-court-backs-veterans-class-action-over-pension-clawbacks/article1848203/?cmpid=rss1

Supreme Court backs veterans’ class action over pension clawbacks
Mike Blanchfield
Ottawa— The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, Dec. 23, 2010 10:30AM EST
Last updated Thursday, Dec. 23, 2010 1:17PM EST
90 comments Email  Print Decrease text size
Increase text size  The Supreme Court of Canada knocked down a legal roadblock on Thursday and paved the way for a class-action lawsuit over military veterans' pensions.

Military mechanic Dennis Manuge filed the suit on behalf of about 6,500 injured veterans and it was certified by the Federal Court. But that certification was later rejected by the Federal Court of Appeal.

The Supreme Court reinstated the original decision in one of six related rulings on a technical legal issue that has real-life implications for how lawsuits are allowed to move through the courts.

In Mr. Manuge's case and five others, seven justices of the court unanimously agreed that parties in the various court actions should not be forced to jump through procedural hoops in their quest for justice.

Mr. Manuge, of Porters Lake, N.S., was injured in 2002 at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa. The government later decided to take back $10,000 of his disability pension after he left the military. Mr. Manuge filed suit and got Federal Court approval for a class action.

But the government appealed and won a stay of proceedings. The Federal Court of Appeal rejected Mr. Manuge's class action, ruling he should have applied for “judicial review” of the pension clawback at the Federal Court, instead of opening a full-fledged lawsuit.

Wrong, said the Supreme Court.

“In my view, with respect, the discretion to grant a stay should not be exercised in this case,” Justice Rosalie Abella wrote on behalf of the Supreme Court.

Previously, an investigation by the military ombudsman found the clawback “profoundly unfair.”

New Democrat MP Peter Stoffer said the case never should have wound its way all the way up to the Supreme Court. He urged the government to sit down with the veterans and settle the matter.

“The choice is very clear,” said Mr. Stoffer, his party's veterans affairs critic. “You can spend millions and millions of dollars fighting this in the courts, or you can spend those millions dealing with the disabled veterans in a fair and reasonable manner.”

The government had no immediate comment.

The principle at play in Mr. Manuge's case was decided in one of the companion rulings that involved a $250-million lawsuit filed by TeleZone Inc., against Industry Canada.

The consortium of telephone companies accused the government of unfairly denying it a licence for wireless communication services.

The Ontario Superior Court of Justice allowed the legal action, saying it wasn't necessary for TeleZone to seek “judicial review” at the Federal Court. In this case, the Ontario Court of Appeal agreed, and so did the Supreme Court, which rejected the federal government's last appeal.

“This appeal is fundamentally about access to justice,” Justice Ian Binnie wrote on behalf of the court in the TeleZone ruling.

“People who claim to be injured by government action should have whatever redress the legal system permits through procedures that minimize unnecessary costs and complexity. The court's approach should be practical and pragmatic with that objective in mind.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back