• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SISIP LTD 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lawsuit in question has no real chance of legal success. It's only chance is to hype it till maybe public pressure makes the government give in. I got a very short SISP presentation when I was in the Reserves and even in the short time they had they got across the in effect 'clawback' very well. The coverage was point blank put as when you get injured:

other government compensation (if any) + SISP payouts = SISP coverage amount

For Reserves they pointed out the (if any) often ended up as none for us and that SISP would do a nice job of covering more situations. For when there is government compensation it would make up any shortfalls to the coverage level. That "make up any shortfalls" is key as it's the other side of the in effect "clawback". It wasn't some hidden provision it was in pointed out very directly in the seminar I got.

It would probably be more effective to lobby for long term SISIP payments to be indexed the same as government compensation. This a real gap in coverage that effects all SISIP beneficiaries not just those also with some form of on going government compensation.

Ladies & Gentlemen

The law suit is in fact off of the ground. To the tune of approximately $100 000.00 invested legally in myself and this case on behalf of the estimated 4000-6000- disabled veterans that have been affected. Just because something is not hidden or because they tell you about it, does not mean it is legal. "Government compensation"? A veterans affairs disability pension is not considered income, bottom line, end of story. Some of you folks need to do a little back ground work to educate and bring yourself up to speed.

Why is a still serving member of CF able to draw their entire salary and collect a VAC disability pension? As soon as you are medically released you are to drop to "75% of your former rate of pay"  but they deduct your cpp, VAC, military pension, etc...off of the 75%. That, my friends is illegal under the pension act. Again I direct you to my statement of claim. Read it, understand it! It is not rocket science.

If the $100 000.00 already invested is not enough to convince any of you that this law suit is for real, perhaps ask yourself the question of why Mr. Ward Branch, the number one class action legal mind in Canada is a part of my/our legal team. It certainly is not because he thinks we do not have a strong case. Read, listen, learn....if you still not believe in the cause, no worries! Good luck to you.

Cheers
Dennis Manuge

Federal Court Entries For: Manuge Vs Her Majesty The Queen

web site: http://cas-ncr-nter03.cas-satj.gc.ca/portal/page/portal/fc_cf_en/Index

simply type in Manuge under search and follow the path to our case. This is what has been done so far in Federal Court

- 2007-10-09 Ottawa Written directions received from the Court: The Honourable Mr. Justice Barnes dated 09-OCT-2007 directing that "The Court directs that the Plaintiff's motion to certify this proceeding as class action shall be heard at the Federal Court, 1801 Hollis Street, Suite 1720 Halifax, Nova Scotia, on February 12, 13 and 14, 2008 inclusive placed on file on 09-OCT-2007 Confirmed in writing to the party(ies) 

2007-10-05 Ottawa Ottawa 05-OCT-2007 BEFORE The Honourable Mr. Justice Barnes Language: E Before the Court: Case Management Conference Result of Hearing: Parties agreed on tentative dates for hearing of outstanding motion held by way of Conference Call Duration per day: 05-OCT-2007 from 10:05 to 10:20 Courtroom : Judge's Chambers - Ottawa Court Registrar: Ingrid Sherling Total Duration: 15min Appearances: Mr. Peter Driscoll 902.469.9500 representing Plaintiff Mr. Ward Branch 604.654.2999 representing Plaintiff Ms. Lori Rasmussen 902.426.4472 representing Defendant Comments: Parties agreed that duration of hearing would be 3 days. Tentative dates: Defendants aff: January 7, 2008, Plaintiffs' Brief: January 21, 2008, Defendant's Brief: February 4, 2008. Minutes of Hearing entered in Vol. 758 page(s) 353 - 355 Abstract of Hearing placed on file

2007-10-04 Ottawa Oral directions received from the Court: The Honourable Mr. Justice Barnes dated 04-OCT-2007 directing that "A case management teleconference will be held on Friday, October 5, 2007, at 10:00 a.m. Ottawa time" placed on file on 04-OCT-2007 Confirmed in writing to the party(ies) 

2007-10-03 Ottawa Letter from Defendant dated 03-OCT-2007 in response to the Court's direction of 25-SEP-2007, explaining why the proposed date of 26-NOV-2007 for the hearing of the outstanding motion is unworkable for the defendant received on 03-OCT-2007

2007-10-01 Ottawa Letter from Plaintiff dated 01-OCT-2007 in response to the direction of Barnes J. dated September 25, 2007, advising of the Plaintiff's availability in November for the hearing of an outstanding motion in Halifax for the week of November 26, 2007 and referring to the possible teleconference for the week of 9-OCT-2007 received on 01-OCT-2007

- 2007-09-25 Ottawa Oral directions received from the Court: The Honourable Mr. Justice Barnes dated 25-SEP-2007 directing that further to Mr. Driscoll's discussion with the Registry, wherein he advised the Registry that parties were in agreement in suggesting that counsel would report to the Court in writing on the status of this action no later than Tuesday, October 9, 2007: "The Court is agreeable to the arrangements proposed by counsel as reported verbally by Mr. Driscoll and a further case management conference will be held in abeyance for two weeks. In the meantime, counsel should consider the possibility of scheduling the outstanding motion for the week of November 26, 2007 at Halifax which is available to the Court" placed on file on 25-SEP-2007 Confirmed in writing to the party(ies) 

14 2007-09-04 Halifax Solicitor's certificate of service on behalf of Peter J. Driscoll confirming service of the Amended Statement of Claim and the Motion Record (Doc.13) upon Defendant by courier on 04-SEP-2007 filed on 04-SEP-2007

13 2007-09-04 Halifax Motion Record containing the following original document(s): 10 11 12 Number of copies received: 3 on behalf of Plaintiff filed on 04-SEP-2007

12 2007-09-04 Halifax Affidavit of Jodie Archibald sworn on 04-SEP-2007 contained within a Motion Record on behalf of Plaintiff in support of Motion Doc. No. 10 filed on 04-SEP-2007

11 2007-09-04 Halifax Affidavit of Dennis Manuge sworn on 04-SEP-2007 contained within a Motion Record on behalf of Plaintiff in support of Motion Doc. No. 10 with Exhibits A to D filed on 04-SEP-2007

10 2007-09-04 Halifax Notice of Motion contained within a Motion Record on behalf of Plaintiff returnable (but no hearing date indicated at this time) for certification as a class action and that Dennis Manuge be appointed as the representative Plaintiff filed on 04-SEP-2007

9 2007-09-04 Halifax Amended Statement of Claim filed on 04-SEP-2007

- 2007-06-14 Ottawa Written directions received from the Court: The Honourable Mr. Justice Barnes dated 14-JUN-2007 directing that "In accordance with the discussion with counsel in the case management teleconference held on June 8, 2007, it is agreed that the filing and service of an Amended Statement of Claim in this proceeding shall be completed on or before September 4, 2007. It is also agreed that the Plaintiff shall have an extension to file the motion for certification from July 16, 2007 to September 4, 2007. It was also agreed that items 3 and 4 set out in Mr. Driscoll's letter of June 5, 2007 would be left for resolution on or after September 1, 2007. The expectation is that a further case management teleconference will be scheduled upon the request of counsel for early September 2007 to deal with those oustanding issues along with any other matters that require attention." placed on file on 14-JUN-2007 Confirmed in writing to the party(ies) 

- 2007-06-08 Ottawa Ottawa 08-JUN-2007 BEFORE The Honourable Mr. Justice Barnes Language: E Before the Court: Case Management Conference Result of Hearing: Parties agree to deadlines in paragraphs 1 and 2 of the Plaintiff's letter of June 5, 2007. Parties agree to put off fixing dates for items in paragraphs 3 and 4 of that letter. Another teleconference to be arranged to discuss further dates, sometime in September, 2007 held by way of Conference Call in chambers Duration per day: 08-JUN-2007 from 13:00 to 13:04 Courtroom : Judge's Chambers - Ottawa Court Registrar: Robert Lemoine Total Duration: 4min Appearances: Mr. Peter J. Driscoll (902)460-3414 representing Plaintiff Mr. Lori Rasmussen and Ms. Susan Taylor (902)426-4472 representing Defendant Minutes of Hearing entered in Vol. 750 page(s) 338 - 339 Abstract of Hearing placed on file 

- 2007-05-28 Ottawa Oral directions received from the Court: The Honourable Mr. Justice Barnes dated 28-MAY-2007 directing that a CMC by TC is set down for June 8/07 @ 1pm (Ottawa) placed on file on 28-MAY-2007 Confirmed in writing to the party(ies) 

- 2007-05-28 Ottawa Telephone calls from Cynthia Leaver, Registry Assistant, Actions, (Ottawa) on Mon., May 28 - re: case management teleconference proposed for Friday, June 8, 2007, between 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., to discuss available dates for deadlines for filing documents, etc. (only date available in Mr. Justice Barnes' schedule); duration: 40 minutes; language: English. At 10:20 a.m., I spoke with Jodie Archibald, Assistant to P's counsel, Peter Driscoll (in court today) - she indicated that Mr. Driscoll is available all day on June 8, 2007. At approx. 10:25 a.m., I spoke with Stella Aucoin, assistant to D's counsel, Ms. Lori Rasmussen (who returns to office on Mon., June 4); best time for Ms. Rasmussen appears to be in the afternoon between 1-3 p.m. (If there are changes, they will contact Kevin Kelly, A/SRO). placed on file on 28-MAY-2007

- 2007-05-23 Montréal Letter from Defendant dated 23-MAY-2007 The defendant takes the position that the Plaintiff's request for teleconference is premature (see Plaintiff's letter of 22-MAY-2007) received on 23-MAY-2007

- 2007-05-22 Montréal Letter from Plaintiff dated 22-MAY-2007 to requests that a telephone conference be held to discuss available dates for Motion for Certification, deadlines for filing documents in support of and response to and to assit with respect to the setting up of the process for the filing and exchange of motion materials received on 22-MAY-2007

- 2007-05-22 Ottawa Written directions received from the Court: The Honourable Mr. Justice Barnes dated 18-MAY-2007 directing that "The Defendant's motion [doc.#2] is allowed. The Defendant will not be required to file its Defence to this action until 30 days after the Court renders a decision on the Plaintiff's motion for certification which shall be filed on or before July 16, 2007." placed on file on 22-MAY-2007 Confirmed in writing to the party(ies) 

8 2007-04-26 Ottawa Order dated 24-APR-2007 rendered by Chief Justice Lutfy Matter considered without personal appearance The Court's decision is with regard to Motion ex proprio motu Result: "IT IS ORDERED pursuant to Rule 383 that Justice Robert Barnes is designated as Case Management Judge and Prothonotary Richard Morneau will assist in the management of this matter." Filed on 26-APR-2007 certified copies sent to parties & to CAS-SATJ Office: HALIFAX Transmittal Letters placed on file. entered in J. & O. Book, volume 983 page(s) 247 - 247 Interlocutory Decision 

7 2007-04-17 Halifax Solicitor's certificate of service on behalf of Lori Rasmussen confirming service of doc #6 upon Plaintiff by telecopier on 16-APR-2007 filed on 17-APR-2007

6 2007-04-17 Halifax Motion Record containing the following original document(s): 2 3 4 5 Number of copies received: 3 on behalf of Defendant filed on 17-APR-2007

5 2007-04-17 Halifax Written Representations contained within a Motion Record on behalf of Defendant concerning Motion in writing Doc. No. 2 filed on 17-APR-2007

4 2007-04-17 Halifax Consent on behalf of Plaintiff to Defendant's motion #2 contained within a motion record filed on 17-APR-2007

3 2007-04-17 Halifax Affidavit of Tracy Kempton sworn on 12-APR-2007 contained within a Motion Record on behalf of Defendant in support of Motion Doc. No. 2 filed on 17-APR-2007

2 2007-04-17 Halifax Notice of Motion contained within a Motion Record on behalf of Plaintiff ON CONSENT in writing to be placed before the Court in Ottawa for an Order suspending the Defendant's obligation to serve/file a Defence pending determination of Plf's motion for certification of class action filed on 17-APR-2007 Draft Order\\Judgment received. 

- 2007-03-15 Halifax Covering letter from Plaintiff dated 15-MAR-2007 concerning Doc. No. 1 placed on file on 15-MAR-2007

1 2007-03-15 Halifax Statement of Claim and 2 cc's filed on 15-MAR-2007 Certified copy(ies)/copy(ies) transmitted to Director of the Regional Office of the Department of Justice Section 48 - $2.00 

Contact Info for  Legal Counsel Peter Driscoll; Lead counsel for Dennis Manuge in " Manuge Vs Her Majesty The Queen"

Peter Driscoll
McInnes Cooper
1300-1969 Upper Water Street
Purdy's Wharf II
P.O. Box 730
Halifax
Nova Scotia B3J 2V1
Tel: 902 444 8451
Fax:902 425 6350
peter.driscoll@mcinnescooper.com

When you purchased SISIP coverage the policy was clear in this regard and they have lived up to it. So one question would be is the coverage somehow illegal? The answer sure looks like no. Top up policies that add on to any current coverage or other benefits have a long history. These type of policies take up any slack/shortfall and do not stand on their own. They are also much cheaper than free standing policies as the expected total payouts are obviously going to be a lot less.

The intent of disability payments isn't really legally relevant to a separate insurance policy. The insurance policy promised to make up any shortfalls between those payments and it's coverage cap. They have done so. I can't see any legal case against SISIP winning a legal fight.

While I agree it's not fair that some get to double up on benefits and pay while it's not possible to double up on benefits and SISIP that isn't really a legal argument. I support pushing the government to level things out but don't think the current legal action has a chance to succeed.

Manulife Financial is only the administrator for the SISIP LTD program. The actual funds belong to the treasury board of Canada. You are absolutely entitle to your opinion and thoughts, but our argument is not that SISIP or anyone else has not done what they said they would, we are arguing that the entire scheme, LTD policy is "in fact illegal under the pension act." making it irrelevant that they disclose or not to each soldier. They did not have the right to set up the LTD system that they have in place. It is illegal under already established laws under the pesnion act. A very large law firm and two experts in the field are saying not only do we have a case, but we are willing to back the disabled veterans affected 100%. Unless you are a lawyer or an expert in the field, my money and loyalty stays with my/our legal team. When i purchased SISIP, with no choice to purchase it or not, I remind you, unlike any other LTD plan in the land, where one does have a choice, I thought it was bull shit then too. When I was stolen from for 24 months by the SISIP clawback, I simply said that it is high time someone made people aware of just how wrong it is. Again, I am the least impacted by this. I only drew SISIP benefits for the two years i was in school. Once I was re-trained and had been hired to work full-time, I am fine. I do not want anything else from the government other than what they have taken from me, which is alot less than what many others have experienced. If this or any other government goes unchallenged on issues....well we see the patronage and the kickbacks and the scandals on a daily, monthly, yearly basis, don't we. Quite frankly i prefer to have my $10 000 in my pocket, not the governments or one of their pals. Excuse me for  being selfish.

Dennis

Repectfully

dennis

DBA

Are you pensioned under the New Veterans Charter? Or under the old pension act?

Dennis

Here are the benefits description for unrelated LDT policy:

Benefit

This product provides you with a portion of your regular salary while you are disabled and unable to work.

If you are totally disabled, IAP will pay you your benefit amount. Benefit payments begin after your designated waiting period and continue while you are totally disabled. The benefit is payable to age 65, or if you become totally disabled between the ages of 63 and 65, the benefit will be payable for a maximum of 24 months.

If you are partially disabled, IAP will pay you 50% of your benefit. Payments for partial disability can begin up to age 65 and continue for a maximum of 6 months while you remain partially disabled.

Mental and nervous disorders are also covered under this plan.

According to current Canadian Tax laws, these benefits are not taxable if you personally pay the premiums.

Benefits payable from this plan and from all other sources (e.g. disability benefits from another group plan, Canada/Quebec Pension Plan, Worker's Compensation, EI, etc.) may not exceed 85% of your average take home pay.

Note the same 'top up' or 'claw back' depending on how you view it just like SISIP in the last paragraph. Another example, part of the description of the Long Term Disability Benefits of the Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan.

CPP Benefits

Your LTD insurance provides for the integration of benefits when Canada Pension Plan (CPP) disability benefits are approved. You may be asked to apply for CPP benefits. In most cases your LTD plan directly offsets any benefits paid to you, as a contributor, from CPP.

Again it's a clawback/top-up type thing depending on how you look at it.

I am not on any disability, I was fortunate to release from the reserves without any medical problems. Good luck on the legal challenge, even if I don't think the legal side is sound there are other ways to win and it's not unheard of for weak cases to succeed.

We didn't purchase the insurance, we were forced to take it, and pay into it for our entire careers, to pay us if injured, yet if someone who is severely injured near the end of their career, it is more than likely that SISIP will not pay them a single cent. As a disabled vet with 15 years served, and a 45% VAC pension, SISIP only gives me roughly 16% of my pre-release pay, and even if they extend my coverage past the 24 months, the indexing will see that amount drop, especially in concurrent years where the VAC and superannuation indexes are higher than the max of 2% set by SISIP. 2 years ago, when VAC was indexed at 7.1% and CF pensions were indexed at 2.2%, any SISIP payments would have dropped by around $80.00. At that rate, SISIP will basically cancel it's own coverage after a decade or so of high indexing. Soldiers are being penalized by SISIP for getting severely injured later in their careers, but we shouldn't be punished for getting hurt on the job by our insurance, if anything, this should give us better coverage, not less. and a disability is a disability, and therefor our long term disability should be the same across the board.

Is it illegal? fundamentally it is, it is treating Pension act payments as income in an Income replacement plan, which it isn't, but the only way to change it will be to legally force the government to change it, we've had the media say it needs to be changed, we've had the majority of MPs say it should be changed, the standing committee for Veterans Affairs has said it needs to be changed, but the Tories have ignored all of these, because they don't care for Veterans, they only do enough to give the appearance that they care, so instead of acting, they will order a review, then a study, then an inquiry, then start all over again, ignoring any unfavorable recommendations and appeal any court decision that favors the veterans, costing millions in legal fees.

And we have some very keen legal mids on our side, so unless , DBA, you are a Supreme Court Judge, I don't think you legal assessment has any merit. Other insurance plans are different, because they don't involve pension Act payments, they aren't given to just anyone, there are strict criteria to get them, and civilian workers compensation plans are not tax free, so therefor can be classified as income. I guess unless you are having this money deducted, you can't really appreciate where we are coming from, so just offer your support and move along.

Requiring enrollment in an insurance plan as a requirement for employment is also common. I don't see anything odd or uncommon with the top up coverage or the mandatory nature of the SISIP policy. It is very much like what is available and practiced elsewhere. Most such plans are not indexed to limit future liabilities. Very few plans outside of those directly government backed and funded are indexed.

I agree 110% that SISIP should have been designed to not count increases in VAC benefits due to indexing above what the SISIP increase is. That aspect of it looks really bad as it in effect undoes part of the indexing of VAC benefits. Even better would be to not count any of the increase in VAC benefits due to indexing.

Well said, Bigrex.

I guess the old expression of, "unless you've walked a mile in my shoes" definitely applies to us disabled Vets. Many of my close contacts here on the east coast are receiving very little, if not nothing at all from SISIP. They are 100% disabled, 70% disabled etc....Sad state of affairs really. That goes for most of our fellow Vets right across Canada, actually, I am just closer geogrphically to those on the east coast.

Stay well, please feel free to contact me at dennismanuge@hotmail.com. (that goes for everyone) I am building quite a data base of us right across the country. Many of us have different opinions and ideas about how to do things, but the one common goal is we want to affect positive change to end this clawback once and for all.

Cheers
Dennis Manuge

Pg 12-16 of Andre Marin's (first DND Ombudsman) report to MND at the time in Oct 2003

Analysis, Conclusion and Recommendations

The purpose of the SISIP long term disability plan is to provide CF Regular and Reserve Force members with a reasonable level of income should they become disabled and be released from the CF. The policy specifically states that other sources of income received by the insured member will reduce the amount of SISIP long term disability benefits payable. Disability pensions and any dependents’ benefits payable pursuant to the Pension Act are specifically listed in the policy as one of the other sources of income that will reduce the amount of LTD benefits payable. Current and former CF members and their families have complained to the Office of the Ombudsman that this reduction of their long term disability insurance benefits is unfair. They argue that disability pension benefits received through VAC under the Pension Act should not reduce the amount of their SISIP long term disability benefits because they are not income. Some complainants have taken the further position that even if there is justification to reduce their SISIP long term disability benefits by amounts received under the Pension Act, these reductions should only be for pension benefits received for the same disability and not for any amounts received for an unrelated disability or illness.

Mr. Pierre Lemay, President of SISIP, informed the Office of the Ombudsman that CF members are advised that other income sources are deducted from SISIP long term disability benefits. This is a term of the Conditions of Benefits Agreement that all members must sign once they are determined to be eligible for SISIP long term disability benefits in order to receive monthly payments.

According to Mr. Lemay, the formula for calculating SISIP long term disability benefits, which provides for deductions of other income sources, was taken into account in the development of the SISIP long term disability policy, its funding and the premiums charged. This is the type of program that Treasury Board had agreed to pay for in order to provide an income replacement of 75% of the member’s salary minus other income sources. Mr. Lemay indicated that this was an industry standard for LTD benefits. According to a May 30, 2001 letter from Maritime Life to Mr. Lemay, it is estimated that it would cost at least an additional $5 million per year to exclude Pension Act deductions from the LTD policy. Such a change would require the consent of Treasury Board. According to SISIP figures, approximately 56% of SISIP long term disability benefit recipients also receive VAC pension benefits under the Pension Act.

Our review of Public Service disability insurance plans reveals that it is common to reduce disability insurance benefits by the amount of pensions and other benefits received for the same disability. This reflects the fact that the purpose of disability insurance is to supplement a person’s income, including that received from other sources such as pensions and benefits, so that he or she is in a similar position as when they were able to work. Both the Public Service Management Insurance Plan (for federal government executives and managers excluded from collective bargaining) and the Public Service Disability Insurance Plan (for federal government employees), however, appear to restrict deductions from disability insurance benefits to amounts received from pension and benefit plans for the same disability. Benefits received from other sources for unrelated illnesses or disabilities are not deducted. Only the CF and RCMP plans reduce disability insurance benefits by the amount of disability pension received for any disability.

Is it fair that ill or injured CF members have their disability insurance benefits reduced by amounts they receive from VAC under the Pension Act in the form of a disability pension for the same or an unrelated illness or injury?

according to VAC’s web site, current or former CF members may be eligible for a disability pension under the Pension Act if they have a permanent disability that arose out of, was aggravated by, or is directly connected with peacetime Regular or Reserve Force service in the CF. Such pensions are awarded based on the compensation principle that “provides pension coverage for disability or death which was directly related to or permanently worsened by peacetime, non-SDA (Special Duty Area), service factors or events.” In addition to the basic amount payable to the member as a disability pension under the Pension Act, the member may also be entitled to receive an additional pension amount for spouse and children.

Entitlement to a disability pension under the Pension Act is based solely on the relationship between military service and the disability and is not dependent upon years of service, income or rank. The fact that the recipient may see a reduction of income caused by deduction of pension amounts from their disability insurance benefits is not considered in determining the amount of the pension award. The pension award is considered compensation for a disability related to military service and not income. For these reasons, it is not taxable.
In October 2000, the Pension Act was amended to provide disability pensions to all current CF members disabled by service-related injuries, wherever the injury occurred. Previously, active CF members could only receive a VAC disability pension if the injury occurred while serving in a Special Duty Area (SDA), such as a peacekeeping mission. CF members who were injured while fighting a flood in Canada, for example, could be deemed eligible to receive a disability pension while still serving, but could not have their disability assessed and would not actually receive a disability pension until they were released from service. Now, all active CF members with a service-related disability are eligible to receive a VAC disability pension regardless of where the injury occurred.

VAC disability pensions awarded under the Pension Act are intended to compensate members for the disability they suffered in the course of their service with the CF. Unlike SISIP disability insurance benefits, they are not intended to replace the income the member would have earned but for his or her disability.

Serving CF members receiving disability pensions through VAC under the Pension Act do not have their income reduced because of the pension they receive to compensate them for their disability. It simply does not seem fair that injured and ill members who are released from the CF for medical reasons should have their disability insurance benefit paid, which is intended to replace their income as CF members, reduced because of the same pension benefits. In my view, the SISIP policy, in designating Pension Act disability pensions as a source of income to be deducted from disability insurance benefits, is inconsistent with the intention of the Pension Act to compensate both current and former CF members for injuries or illness resulting from or related to their service with the CF. When ill or injured CF members are ultimately released from the CF for medical reasons, they in effect lose the additional financial benefit of the compensation awarded to them under the Pension Act, as this amount reduces the income replacement insurance benefit they receive under the SISIP long term disability insurance plan.

I realize that amending the SISIP policy to prevent the reduction of disability insurance benefits by amounts paid in compensation to CF members for their disabilities through pensions under the Pension Act may have a significant financial impact on premiums payable by the government of Canada under the SISIP long term disability insurance plan. In my view, however, this additional cost is justified in light of the sacrifices and risks incurred by CF members in providing an invaluable service to Canadian society. The government has an obligation to look after them when they become ill or injured as a result and cannot continue to serve.

On February 13, 2003, the Minister of National Defence announced changes to SISIP to introduce a new insurance program. It brings compensation for CF members who are the victims of dismemberment or permanent loss of sight, hearing or speech as a result of a service-related injury in line with that available to general officers. Subsequent legislation, proclaimed on June 20, 2003, made these changes retroactive so that all members who were the victim of service-related injury resulting in dismemberment or permanent loss of sight, hearing or speech could benefit.

In welcoming these long awaited improvements to the member’s insurance plan, the Chief of the Defence Staff noted, “The benefits that are provided to our men and women in uniform must reflect the risks that they undertake on behalf of the people of Canada.” The Minister also pledged in his comments to the Subcommittee on Veterans Affairs of the Standing Senate Committee on National Security and Defence that:

All of us in this room understand the many sacrifices that are demanded of these men and women. Not only do Canadian Forces personnel make sacrifices in service to their country, but they are also prepared to lay down their lives for Canada, if need be. When they sign up for a life in the military, they accept this unlimited liability. With all that the Canadian Forces gives on our behalf, we must be prepared to give back to them.

I wholeheartedly agree with these comments. In keeping with this strong commitment to CF members and their families, I strongly urge the Minister, on behalf of DND/CF, to take the necessary steps to ensure that the SISIP long term disability benefits, which members must depend on as income to support themselves and their families when they are no longer able to serve their country for medical reasons, are not reduced by the amount of disability pension they are awarded under the Pension Act to compensate them for illness or injury related to their service.

I therefore recommend that:

1. The Minister of National Defence present the necessary submission to the Treasury Board Secretariat of Canada and ensure all other necessary steps are taken to amend the SISIP long term disability insurance policy so that Pension Act disability pensions do not reduce the amount of SISIP long term disability benefits payable to former CF members.
Changes to the SISIP long term disability insurance policy will likely bring with them claims from former CF members that they be reimbursed the amounts that have been previously deducted from their SISIP long term disability benefits. Changes to the Pension Act to allow CF members to receive disability pensions while still serving and earning income as CF members, regardless of where the service-related injury occurred, came into effect on October 27, 2000. In my view, in the interests of ensuring equal treatment compared with serving members who have been able to benefit from disability pensions under the Pension Act while still earning income in the CF, former CF members who had their income replacement disability benefits reduced under the SISIP policy on account of Pension Act disability pensions should be reimbursed as of October 27, 2000.
I therefore recommend that:

2. The Minister of National Defence take the necessary steps to ensure that former CF members who had their SISIP long term disability benefits reduced on account of disability pensions received under the Pension Act should be reimbursed for the amounts that were deducted from their benefits as of October 27,2000.

Ombudsman Urges Resolution to Unfair Deductions from SISIP Payments
June 15, 2007

The Honourable Gordon O’Connor, P.C., M.P.
Minister of National Defence
National Defence Headquarters
Major-General George R. Pearkes Building
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0K2

Dear Minister O’Connor:

I would like to acknowledge and thank you for your letter of June 3.

Your letter responded to my letter to you of March 6, 2007, in which I set out my position as to why the Department of National Defence should implement the two outstanding recommendations made in our 2003 special report entitled Unfair Deductions From SISIP Payments to Former CF Members.

As you will recall, our report concluded that it was fundamentally unfair to deduct Pension Act disability payments from SISIP Long Term Disability benefits. It urged the Minister of National Defence to take steps to put an end to that deduction as soon as possible, and to provide retroactive compensation.

In your recent letter to me, you indicate that, in light of the sheer magnitude and complexity of the issues surrounding this matter, you were to ask departmental authorities to review my concerns. You also mention that, in view of the class action lawsuit filed with the Federal Court of Canada on March 15, 2007, you felt that you were precluded from making any further comments on the matter at this time, particularly given the lawsuit challenges the very deduction that was at the heart of our report.

I certainly do appreciate that this file raises issues that are complex and that may be expensive to address. I also understand that you would wish to be extremely careful not to make public comments about the issue, which has now been taken to the courts.

As Ombudsman, my first job is to promote the fair and just treatment of current and former members of the Canadian Forces and their families. I have indicated to you, and to others before, my firm view that the former members who are affected by the deduction are the victims of what I consider to be fundamentally unfair treatment.

As a result, I urge you, and through you, your colleagues and your officials, not to allow the court proceedings to be a reason to avoid swift action. The pending lawsuit should not preclude the implementation of the two outstanding recommendations.

At this time, given recent developments and the status of the matter, I am of the view that my office and I have done all that we can do to bring this matter to a fair and satisfactory resolution. The ultimate responsibility for ensuring this issue is resolved equitably, generously and without undue delay rests with others.

I sincerely hope that you, as Minister of National Defence, will do everything you can to ensure that fair treatment is achieved for our veterans – and that it is achieved soon.

Yours truly,

Yves Côté, Q.C.
Ombudsman

Response from the Minister of National Defence on Outstanding Recommendations Involving Unfair Deductions from SISIP Payments
3 June 2007

Mr. Yves Côté
Ombudsman
National Defence and Canadian Forces
100 Metcalfe Street, 12th Floor
Ottawa, ON K1P 5M1

Dear Mr. Côté:

I am writing in response to your letter of March 6, 2007 concerning two outstanding recommendations from your special report Unfair Deductions From SISIP Payments to Former CF Members.

In our meeting shortly after I received your letter, I explained that because of the shear magnitude and complexity of this issue I would ask Departmental authorities to review your concerns.

I also noted that I would not be able to respond by 30 April 2007, as you had requested, because of an impending legal challenge against the Department.

On March 15, 2007, the Federal Court in Halifax received a class action lawsuit filed by Mr. Dennis Manuge on behalf of SISIP claimants, challenging the Long Term Disability Insurance Program offered to CF members through SISIP. As such, because this matter is now pending before the courts, I am, unfortunately, precluded from making any further comments at this time.

Thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

The Honourable Gordon J. O’Connor, PC, MP

Ombudsman Calls for Fair Treatment for Injured Canadian Forces Veterans
March 6, 2007

The Honourable Gordon O’Connor, P.C., M.P.
Minister of National Defence
National Defence Headquarters
Major-General George R. Pearkes Building
13th floor, North Tower
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0K2

Dear Minister O’Connor:

I am writing you to set out my position with respect to the two outstanding recommendations made in our office’s special report, entitled Unfair Deductions From SISIP Payments to Former CF Members.

I. Background
The Office of the Ombudsman conducted an investigation into the Service Income Security Insurance Plan – Long Term Disability Plan (SISIP LTD) after receiving more than 50 complaints related to the plan and benefits payable to Canadian Forces members. Although certain complaints were resolved as a result of changes made to the plan and through legislation, some matters continued to be a source of dissatisfaction among serving and former Canadian Forces members.

SISIP LTD is a group disability insurance plan that guarantees disabled Canadian Forces members replacement income if they become “totally disabled” or if they are released from the Canadian military for medical reasons. The plan guarantees 75 percent of a Canadian Forces member’s income level at the time of his or her release from the military for up to two years after his or her release. After this two-year period, payments can continue until the former military member reaches the age of 65 if he or she remains disabled.

However, SISIP LTD does not necessarily pay 75 percent of the income level at release to former Canadian Forces members. The plan takes into account any other “relevant sources of income” and only pays out the amount that would bring the total income to the 75 percent level. Most notably, and in my view problematically, SISIP LTD considers monthly Pension Act disability pensions as a “relevant source of income” and deducts such pensions from the amount that would otherwise be paid to the former Canadian Forces member.

Many of the complaints that our office received concerned the deduction of these Pension Act disability pensions from monthly SISIP LTD benefits. Complainants argued that it was unfair that disability pensions were considered as a source of income under the SISIP LTD formula, when the purpose of the disability pension was not to act as income replacement, but to compensate them for the pain and suffering they had endured as a result of becoming disabled while serving their country.

After a thorough investigation, our office agreed with the complainants and concluded that it was an unfair practice for SISIP LTD to consider Pension Act disability pensions as income and to deduct them from SISIP LTD benefits.

In October 2003, our office presented five recommendations to address this fundamental unfairness to then Defence Minister John McCallum. In response, he thanked our office for its “thoughtful and timely” work and agreed with all of the recommendations in the special report.

Since that time, three of the recommendations have been implemented. However, two remain outstanding:

That the Minister of National Defence present the necessary submission to the Treasury Board Secretariat of Canada and ensure all other necessary steps are taken to amend the SISIP LTD insurance policy so that Pension Act disability pensions do not reduce the amount of SISIP LTD benefits payable to former CF members; and that
The Minister of National Defence take the necessary steps to ensure that former CF members who had their SISIP LTD benefits reduced on account of disability pensions received under the Pension Act should be reimbursed for the amounts that were deducted from their benefits as of October 27, 2000.
II. Follow up to Special Report
Significant Support for Recommendations
The recommendations in our report have received widespread public support, including from veterans, veterans associations and Parliamentarians. Notably, on November 4, 2003, the House of Commons Standing Committee on National Defence and Veterans Affairs passed a unanimous motion calling on “the Defence Minister and government to accept and enact the recommendations forthwith.”

More recently, the House of Commons passed the following motion on November 7, 2006:

That, in the opinion of the House, the government should immediately take the following steps to assist members and veterans of the Canadian Forces and their families:
…..
4. eliminate the unfair reduction of Service Income Security Insurance Plan (SISIP) long term disability benefits from medically released members of the Canadian Forces;
…..
New Developments
During the course of the office’s investigation, our investigators were advised that the cost of eliminating the Pension Act deductions from SISIP LTD monthly benefits would be approximately $5 million a year. However, in May 2006, our office was informed that the total cost to implement the two outstanding recommendations in our special report was now estimated to be $320 million.

Needless to say, this new figure came as a surprise to us, particularly given that the original figure of $5 million was provided to our office by SISIP officials. As a result of this new information, we met with the President of SISIP in June 2006 in order to obtain an explanation of the estimates and the significant discrepancy.

In October 2006, we were informed that the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) had reviewed the estimates and determined that the cost of eliminating the Pension Act deductions from SISIP LTD monthly benefits, retroactive to October 2000, would be between $275 million and $295 million. Given that these figures were reviewed and verified by OSFI, I have no reason to question their accuracy.

III. An Issue of Fundamental Fairness
I recognize that this new estimate is significantly higher than originally assessed. However, the inherent unfairness that our recommendations seek to correct remains: The situation faced by former Canadian Forces members who have their SISIP LTD payments reduced by the amount of their disability pension is profoundly unfair, and it needs to be addressed and resolved.

Those who are suffering – former Canadian Forces members who have had to retire as a result of their injuries – are the most disadvantaged of our veterans. They often suffer from serious psychological or physical injuries incurred while serving their country. And yet they are penalized – in some cases, severely penalized – by rules which must be reviewed and changed. I will outline the nature and source of the problem.

The Pension Act
The SISIP LTD treatment of disability pensions as a source of income is unfair and contradicts the underlying purpose of disability pensions awarded under the Pension Act. Disability pensions are not intended to act as income replacement. This is borne out by a number of factors.

Section 2 of the Pension Act clearly states that disability pensions are paid in order to fulfill “the recognized obligation of the people and Government of Canada to provide compensation to those members of the forces who have been disabled or have died as a result of military service.” The payments are meant to provide compensation for the loss of enjoyment of life and for pain and suffering caused by a specific injury.

If there was any doubt as to the purpose of a disability pension, it was eliminated when the Pension Act was amended in 2000 to allow all currently serving Canadian Forces members, regardless of where their service-related injury occurred, to draw a disability pension while continuing to receive their full military pay.

I would also note that the Pension Act does not link eligibility for a disability pension to a loss of income. In fact, there are a number of retired Canadian Forces members who are gainfully employed and who are collecting disability pensions in addition to their salary.

Finally, if disability pensions awarded under the Pension Act were meant to be income replacement, they would have been made taxable. This is not the case.

In light of the above, it is clear – and, indeed, indisputable – that Pension Act disability pensions are not meant to be income replacement. As I indicated above, they must be characterized as amounts paid for pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.

SISIP LTD
That being said, I recognize that SISIP LTD is an income replacement plan. As described above, its purpose is to provide disabled military members with 75 percent of their salary on release, if they are too disabled to continue serving in the Canadian Forces. As an income replacement plan, it is logical that the benefits to which a retired member may be entitled under SISIP LTD should be subject to a reduction when there are other sources of employment income. However, disability pensions payable under the Pension Act are not linked to salary, and therefore should not be considered as income replacement.

A Fundamental Unfairness
It is fundamentally unfair that military members who are medically unable to serve in the Canadian Forces – and who are forced to give up their career and way of life – do not receive the full benefit of their Pension Act disability pension. But this is clearly the case as a result of their SISIP LTD monthly income replacement benefit being reduced by the amount of their disability pension.

This unfairness becomes even more evident when those who are forced to leave the Canadian Forces are compared with military personnel who have been injured or disabled but whose injuries or disabilities are less serious. The latter can remain in the Canadian Forces, receiving their full military pay and adding to their retirement plan, while still being entitled to a disability pension under the Pension Act.

On October 26, 2005, I wrote to then Defence Minister Bill Graham highlighting the unfair treatment faced by our veterans, and urging him to take immediate action. A copy of that letter is attached. I believe that it clearly demonstrates the significant inequity suffered by disabled Canadian Forces members who must retire in comparison with Canadian Forces members who also suffer an injury, but do not have to leave the military (see in particular pages 2 and 3).

The fact that the group of individuals receiving SISIP LTD is vulnerable, and already disadvantaged by disabilities serious enough to require them to give up their careers and collect long-term disability, leads me to the view that the inequity might very well be serious enough to attract the protection of human rights legislation, as well as the protection of the equality provisions set out in section 15 the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which identify physical and mental disabilities as prohibited grounds of discrimination.

New Veterans Charter
I must also mention that the current inequity related to SISIP LTD has only been aggravated by the New Veterans Charter, which came into force in April 2006. That is because now, under the new regime, when a member is injured or suffers a disability as a result of military service, he or she is eligible to receive a lump-sum payment, instead of a monthly Pension Act disability pension. The payment is a tax-free, lump sum disability award in order to compensate for the non-economic effects of a service related injury. These lump-sum payments can be made to either serving or former members, and are not considered a “relevant source of income”, and therefore will not offset SISIP LTD monthly benefits. It is very difficult to understand why this lump sum payment should be viewed differently from one that is received monthly.

It is important to note that the New Veterans Charter does not have retroactive effect. It did not fix the unfairness that existed prior to its enactment. Eligible former Canadian Forces members not falling under the New Veterans Charter will continue to have their SISIP LTD payments reduced by the amount of their disability pension. Therefore, the two outstanding recommendations aimed at rectifying this unfairness are as valid today as they were when they were made in 2003.

The Way Forward
I strongly believe that the appropriate and just thing to do is to fix the significant unfairness that currently prevails regarding the SISIP LTD. I urge you to find a principled solution that will satisfactorily rectify the current inequity.

I believe the dominant consideration here should not be one of a financial nature. Fundamental principles and values ought first and foremost to inform the debate. I am referring to deeply ingrained Canadian values which call for everyone to be treated fairly and equally. I also have in mind the profound sense that Canadians have that our disabled veterans deserve to be treated in a manner that is beyond reproach. The sacrifices that our disabled veterans have made and the price they continue to pay every day as a result of their disability demand that they must receive generous, fair and equal treatment.

It has often been said that a society should be judged by the manner in which it treats its most disadvantaged groups. Preventing discriminatory treatment of society’s disadvantaged groups is one of the goals of section 15(1) of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Laws and government policies must be conceived and applied in a non-discriminatory manner. All Canadian Forces members who suffer a service-related disability should be treated equally, and those who are the most disadvantaged should not be treated in a manner that puts them at a further disadvantage.

At the same time, I strongly encourage you to resist any solution that would result in passing the cost of implementing the outstanding recommendations to currently serving Canadian Forces members. Given that the original problem was created by government policy and legislative action, it is incumbent on the Government of Canada to assume the cost of resolving it. Passing the cost on to currently serving members would also be unfair since, under the New Veterans Charter, those Canadian Forces members applying for disability awards after April 1, 2006, fall under its provisions, and do not stand to benefit from the implementation of the outstanding recommendations concerning disability pensions given under the Pension Act.

I urge you to look at all reasonable solutions that may be available to finally address and resolve this fundamental unfairness. In this regard, I would be happy to discuss with you any options that may be available, in order to ensure that these disabled veterans are compensated for their past loss of income, and that the practice of reducing SISIP LTD by disability pensions under the Pension Act is ended for good.

Conclusion
I would like to conclude by summing up my rationale for urging you to implement the outstanding recommendations:

The deduction of Pension Act benefits from SISIP LTD benefits is unfair, as the disability pensions paid out under the Pension Act were intended to compensate Canadian Forces members for pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life experienced as a result of service-related injuries, and not to replace lost salary.
Treating the Pension Act disability pensions as income, which serves to reduce amounts paid out under SISIP LTD benefits, creates a serious inequity by denying those who need it most and those who deserve the highest degree of protection – Canada’s disabled veterans – the full benefit of a compensation plan intended to assist those who suffer injuries as a result of military service.
The group of individuals affected by this inequity is finite, as a result of the implementation of the New Veterans Charter and of the changes it brought to the way in which Canadian Forces members are compensated for injuries.
Our recommendations in Unfair Deductions From SISIP Payments to Former CF Members have the support of veterans, veterans associations, a former Minister of National Defence, the former Standing Committee on National Defence and Veterans Affairs, and, most significantly, the House of Commons as expressed in the motion that was passed on November 7, 2006.
The two outstanding recommendations contained in our special report must be implemented: now is the time to rectify this fundamental unfairness faced by injured Canadian veterans.

I thank you for your attention to this matter and I look forward to a response from you by April 30, 2007.

Please be advised that I intend to make this letter public as I committed to doing when I appeared before the Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs in November 2006.

Yours truly,

Yves Côté, Q.C.
Ombudsman

c.c. General Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff
Mr. Ward Elcock, Deputy Minister of National Defence

Att: October 26, 2005 Letter to Defence Minister Bill Graham

A good site for finding, sharing info and getting connected.

http://www.veteranvoice.info/bulletinboard.htm

Dennis

schart28 said:
The Hill Times, July 30th, 2007
We Canadian Forces Disabled Veterans are struggling, daily, to survive physically, mentally, and economically due to the appalling disrespect and neglect at the hands of the Conservative Government of Canada.

I am all for your fight to get fair and proper treatment but my highlighting a particular section of your letter might reveal an underlying bias. Were you fighting for this when the Liberals were in power, or are you merely another pro-Lib/anti-Conservative with an ax to grind? With that one line alot of people will dismiss you as just another anti-Conservative mouthpiece.

2Cdo

Thanks for comment. I have no political agenda. The government of Canada, at the moment is Conservative. They have had they benefit of all the reports, recommendations, and a private members bill introduced by MP Peter Stoffer in the fall of 2006 that the majority of parliament voted "in favour of" to correct this issue and others. The conservative government did nothing. I dislike most politicians equally, regardless of their so called partiy labels. To directly answer your question, yes I started down this road with letters to the liberals when they were still in power. My first letter in fact was to Anthony Rota, Lib MP from North bay area. I have been called much worse than a mouth piece. That is a military label for someone who has the ability to think outside the box and stand up for themselves rather than follow blindly and not question, not learn, not grow, as a soldier, human being, or what have you. I did not get into this to make or win friends. What tires me more than anything is the amount of ignorant people that shoot off with-out knowing or seeing or asking about the big picture. Start from the first note ever written on this page....there were people on here speaking about me, my background, my wanting something for nothing. That I am still trying to collect SISIP LTD? I think not. I would gladly give my $10000 to any of the thousands of Vets out there who need it more than I do. I am standing firm on a fundemental issue of right and wrong. In this case the governments of Canada, be it the current Conservative government, or the Liberals of the past, have no respect or commitment to the very citizens of this country who need thier support the most. By highlighting or underlining something, I very much want people to take notice.  Rather than point the finger back at me educate yourself about the issue. All information is available. That is why i have included all that is above. Take or leave it, that is up to you, but folks who shoot from the hip with-out a clue....those people are my enemy. Wether they are a politician or an ex soldier or a civilian.

How long does it take to call, e-mail, write your MP? Is there anyone you served with or even perhaps yourself, that might seem worth fighting for? I know thousands that are!
Cheers

The ombudsmen first released his findings in 2003, under the Liberals, but these things take time, and before you knew it we were going into elections. But since the Conservatives have been in power, they have unanimously voted against the Veterans First motion, and even though it passed, with every opposition member voting yes, the Tories have snubbed the will of the House by not acting on any aspect of that motion. In March, the then MND, O'Conner stood up in the house and said " they knew about this problem since 2003, and they will fix the issue!", yet several months , a budget and a fiscal report later, they haven't acted. After that last statement, whenever O'connor was queried, he merely said he couldn't answer because it was in front of the courts, but until it actually goes to trial, it is not in front of the court, so he could have acted, and his replacement still can and he knows it. That brings us to Mckay, the whole reason he was brought in as MND is he is able to lie and mislead the public and the House without tripping over his own words, and whenever questioned of his plans on this issue, he only tries to discredit the person or party asking the question, with past votes on unrelated issues. Poor politics if you ask me. Veterans and our survivors shouldn't be used as political fodder, we only ask for fair compensation for what we have given up for our country, something the Conservatives are willing to fight tooth and nail against, and that is why most veterans, since Korea, look upon the Conservatives with disdain. The older vets got what they wanted, like my Father in Law, he only served a few years and was in Korea after the conflict was over, but at 75, he gets 3 times the money from Veterans Affairs that I do, at 47% with a family, even though he didn't even get hurt during his tenure in the Forces, but as a war vet they gave him everything. not so for older vets trying to get services now. Like the Veterans who were told that they could claim for having cancer if they served in Korea, they can, and Veterans affairs will give them the absolute minimum award, 1/5th of 5%, a measly $1400.00, for something that can and most likely will kill them.  The Conservatives have also said that they support Veterans with PTSD or OSI, yet if they commit suicide  as a result of those conditions, they have failed to pay death benefits, even though experts have said that PTSD is an injury to the brain, and should not be treated differently than a bullet wound, yet a soldier who dies of later complications from a gunshot wound will get the death benefits. They say they support veterans, but they introduced the NVC, which offers a lump sum instead of the monthly pension, and instead of support for the veteran, Veterans affairs have started acting like welfare, requiring the veteran to take part in a work program in order to be entitled to any monthly funds, don't work enough and your not entitled to it, work to much and you don't need it. It's the inconsistencies between what they say and what they do, is what most people, even younger soldiers and Veterans, don't see unless they are going through it. So unless you are disbled and suffered the SISIP clawback, nearing 65 and realizing you will lose CPP benefits from your Superannuation payments at 65, a widow trying to stay in your home, or trying to ensure your financial future after your husband has died, you will not truly understand, so don't think that we are just bashing the Conservatives, we are bashing the people who have been in power during the majority of time we've been asking for change, with billions of dollars in surplus. If you also read some articles by Sean Bruyea, he discusses the senior bureaucracy, and how they are fighting political will, for their own agenda of maintaining power, it's not just the Tories we are aiming at, but anyone with the power to correct these issues but have failed to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back