• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

Is there any allowance relating to rent (PMedMoe mentioned PLD) for Recruits who currently live common law and are bound to a lease?

I will talk to my RC about this, just thought I would check with you well-informed people.

I need to figure this out so I can budget and make financial goals for this upcoming year. I currently share the rent of $900, so $450. If there isn't any allowance/benefit then I'll only take home shy of a grand each month during basic, and I assume around the same during my trade training.  :-\

You would save on the $96, but you would still be paying for rations.

BYFROMSCHOOL said:
Is there any allowance relating to rent (PMedMoe mentioned PLD) for Recruits who currently live common law and are bound to a lease?

I will talk to my RC about this, just thought I would check with you well-informed people.

I need to figure this out so I can budget and make financial goals for this upcoming year. I currently share the rent of $900, so $450. If there isn't any allowance/benefit then I'll only take home shy of a grand each month during basic, and I assume around the same during my trade training.  :-\

libria said:
Conclusions from my research on payroll deductions during BMQ for a Private (1) in 2013.

SingleMarried / Common LawSource
Gross Monthly Income$2806.00$2806.00http://www.forces.ca/en/page/payscales-131
Federal Tax (15%)-$420.90-$420.90http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html
Canadian Pension Plan (4.95%)-$138.90-$138.90http://www.tax-services.ca/category/cpp-ei-maximum-rates/
Employment Insurance (1.73%)-$48.54-$48.54http://www.tax-services.ca/category/cpp-ei-maximum-rates/
Canadian Forces Pension Plan (6.85%)-$192.21-$192.21http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pensions/notices-avis/2012-12-14b-eng.asp
Death Benefit-$10.20-$10.20http://managers-gestionnaires.gc.ca/forum/forum-2012-pension-PWGSC-TPSGC-eng.php - for anyone interested: =(ROUNDUP(2806*24,-3) / 1000) * -0.15
Rations-$544.00-$544.00http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/pd/14c-14t/index-eng.asp
Quarters-$96.00$0.00http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/pd/14c-14t/index-eng.asp
Net Monthly Income$1355.25$1451.25

Will update when first pay stub is received. Updating this will probably a low priority once I start BMQ!  If anyone notices an error or ommision please take the time to correct me.

I just looked at the website concerning the CF Pension Plan, the contribution rates is going to increase so much during the next 3 years :

Contribution Rates
Description                                                                                                           2013 2014 2015
On earnings up to the maximum covered by the Canada/Quebec Pension Plan 6.85% 7.50% 8.15%
On any earnings over the maximum covered by the Canada/Quebec Pension Plan 9.20% 9.80% 10.40%

With the RRQ/RPC it's going to be close to 13 % of your salary. Considering that this the babyboomers going to retirement soon, the contribution rates(Both Cf Pension plan and RPC) will continue to increase considerably for the next couple of year. Am I the only one who is worried about it.? I mean, I don't want to pay like 20-25 % out of my paycheck for retirement in a near future!

The intent is to move to approximately equal cost sharing for pension contributions; that is, for every dollar contributed by members, the government will also contribute one.

BYFROMSCHOOL said:

As a general rule, if you are maintaining a residence elsewhere, you don't have to pay for quarters when away on training.  It usually doesn't matter whether you are renting or paying a mortgage, but you do have to show proof (e.g. a lease or a mortgage document).  Take note that claiming that you are paying rent on your old bedroom at your parents' house doesn't usually qualify.

dapaterson said:
The intent is to move to approximately equal cost sharing for pension contributions; that is, for every dollar contributed by members, the government will also contribute one.

Yeah I know that!

But even when it's going to be 50/50, the contribution rate will continue to increase considerably. And that's what I'm concerned about.!

For exemple : People who works for Government in Quebec pay 50 %, and the Government pay 50% too. And the Contribution rate is by now, 9.18, they've announced that's it's gonna increase gradually until 2016 to 11.XX.

So, even when it's gonna be 50/50, the Contribution rate will for sure continue to Increase. RPQ/RRQ also considering the points i mentionned in the above post. And that's what I'm concerned about!

I got my package on Friday and they said my Approximate take home would be $1411 and I'm single.

vivelespatates said:
I just looked at the website concerning the CF Pension Plan, the contribution rates is going to increase so much during the next 3 years :

Contribution Rates
Description                                                                                                           2013 2014 2015
On earnings up to the maximum covered by the Canada/Quebec Pension Plan 6.85% 7.50% 8.15%
On any earnings over the maximum covered by the Canada/Quebec Pension Plan 9.20% 9.80% 10.40%

With the RRQ/RPC it's going to be close to 13 % of your salary. Considering that this the babyboomers going to retirement soon, the contribution rates(Both Cf Pension plan and RPC) will continue to increase considerably for the next couple of year. Am I the only one who is worried about it.? I mean, I don't want to pay like 20-25 % out of my paycheck for retirement in a near future!

If you are from the local area then no R&Q even if on CFTPO....

firehoser said:
In what circumstances / type of posting do you not have to pay R & Q?

If you are on TD, you don't.  I think if you are on Attach Posting you don't as well provided you have dependents and maintain a primary residence at your place of duty.  Not 100% on that one anymore....

Eye In The Sky said:
If you are on TD, you don't.  I think if you are on Attach Posting you don't as well provided you have dependents and maintain a primary residence at your place of duty.  Not 100% on that one anymore....

What about a restricted posting, I do have a residence and dependents.

I think (can't say for sure without looking at refs) that the recent (last year/year and a half) changes to the policies broke down to members with a residence and dependents on a restricted posting are now required to pay for R but not Q.

Are you in the trg system, but not yet on your first posting after training?

firehoser said:
In what circumstances / type of posting do you not have to pay R & Q?

Only during periods of "Attach Posting" which trigger benefits similar to personnel on TD.

Eye In The Sky said:
I think (can't say for sure without looking at refs) that the recent (last year/year and a half) changes to the policies broke down to members with a residence and dependents on a restricted posting are now required to pay for R but not Q.

Are you in the trg system, but not yet on your first posting after training?

That's what I have been hearing, and if it's the case than so be it but as soon as I ask "why" or "what policy / CFAO..." there is no clear answer to be had.

I've aslo applied for SE and it was approved so at least I got that going for me.

At the moment I am restricted posted to BTL on a QL3 in 2 months.

Thanks,

firehoser said:
That's what I have been hearing, and if it's the case than so be it but as soon as I ask "why" or "what policy / CFAO..." there is no clear answer to be had.
I've aslo applied for SE and it was approved so at least I got that going for me.
At the moment I am restricted posted to BTL on a QL3 in 2 months.
Thanks,

Then based on your comments, you are currently on the right track.  You don't pay for your accommodations but you still have to pay for your Rations.  Once you complete your QL3 trg and are posted for "first time employment", it will be a Restricted Posting at which time you can relocate your family to your location.  Until that relocation takes place, you will still not pay for accommodations but "might" have to pay for one level or another of rations depending on the local policy.

I'm currently awaiting an interview and medical, and at this time the recruiting centre doesn't have much intel for me regarding the following (to be fair they are pretty busy, they aren't HR as someone said earlier, and I will probably be given this info in a few months if I'm lucky enough to become merit listed and receive and offer).  If someone could be kind enough to tell me the following it would be much appreciated :

I'm Single, applying for regular force NCM, renting an apartment on a lease. 

If offered to attend basic :
-will the CF pay for the cost of cancelling my lease, and the cost of storage of all my personal effects?  Will I have to cover the costs and then wait several weeks for reimbursement?

-when leave is issued throughout your career, are there any allowances for travel expenses, or is return to hometown from base & back again following leave an out of pocket expense?

-if I don't have anyone (friends or family) available to assist in shipping my belongings from storage to my first posting, how do you suspect the transfer would be handled? Send me on leave to handle it?

-Lastly, are there any programs or allowances you wish you knew about that you wish you took advantage of sooner? (Financial planning, housing assistance, pretty much anything that in your view is often overlooked/under utilized by green recruits : besides the search button - which I did use but my phone keeps crashing when I try it :) )

Thanks

BorisK said:
I'm currently awaiting an interview and medical, and at this time the recruiting centre doesn't have much intel for me regarding the following (to be fair they are pretty busy, they aren't HR as someone said earlier, and I will probably be given this info in a few months if I'm lucky enough to become merit listed and receive and offer).  If someone could be kind enough to tell me the following it would be much appreciated :

I'm Single, applying for regular force NCM, renting an apartment on a lease. 

If offered to attend basic :
-will the CF pay for the cost of cancelling my lease, and the cost of storage of all my personal effects?  Will I have to cover the costs and then wait several weeks for reimbursement?

-when leave is issued throughout your career, are there any allowances for travel expenses, or is return to hometown from base & back again following leave an out of pocket expense?

-if I don't have anyone (friends or family) available to assist in shipping my belongings from storage to my first posting, how do you suspect the transfer would be handled? Send me on leave to handle it?

-Lastly, are there any programs or allowances you wish you knew about that you wish you took advantage of sooner? (Financial planning, housing assistance, pretty much anything that in your view is often overlooked/under utilized by green recruits : besides the search button - which I did use but my phone keeps crashing when I try it :) )

Thanks

I'm not entirely certain about coverage of lease breaking penalties but YES the CF will pay to have your personal effects stored.  In fact, they even send a Moving Company over to do all the work for you!  Also, once you are occupation qualified and posted for first time employment, the CF will also ship your personal effects from storage directly to your new location.

The CF does have a benefit called "Leave Transportation Assistance" and is normally only payable to "single" members.  Reimbursement is based on round trip milieage (from where you are serving) back to the location of your parents or place of enrolment, minus 700 km and then multiplied by the applicable kilometric rate.  It is only claimable "once" per fiscal/leave year.

Davidson said:
A summary of pay and deductions at BMQ was included with my enrollment package.

Rate of Pay: $2806.00
Net Pay:

Single - $1411.98
Married/CL - $1507.98

Hope this helps

Yes it does .. thanks for the info!
I know I will be taking a pay cut if/when I enroll, but it was great to see the breakdown of the numbers!

I've been on a lot of military courses - this is the first time I've heard of a course where they make you pay for rations and quarters.  What's the reasoning behind this?

The best I can do is this:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/33594.0.html

I'm pretty sure your answer is in there, sadly I don't have time to dig for you right now.

Back