• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should I even bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest talking to a recruiter. Anybody else is just giving their opinion (as will I). The worst they can do is say no. Shoot a recruiter an email, or go in person and state your case flat out.

But I'm not sure why you would want to join up? What says this doesn't just happen all over again? Unless you were just a kid when this happened, and now are years older, and at a new level of maturity, I don't see how it can even be considered. I won't pretend to know anything about how the U.S. Navy operates, but there must be a way, even if it's not the standard process, to make your issues known without going AWOL. Would you take the chance if you were the CF?

Did you ever think that knowing your job comes with hands-on experience. You dont get that experience by going AWOL.

Not that it makes a bit of difference, I was on the ship for 2 1/2 years, including a 6month deployment through the Med and into the Gulf.  I didn't get to the ship and decide after a couple of months that it wasn't the job for me and leave.  If I didn't have any more knowledge on how to find and repair problems with with my electronic equipment after 2 1/2 years than when I first got there, I wasn't going to get it.

Yeah, in hindsight, I regret it and I should have found another way, but I didn't.

Unless you were just a kid when this happened, and now are years older, and at a new level of maturity

I was 26 and single when I left, I'm 32 and married with kids now, so yeah I probably am more mature. I was also in the army reserves for a few years before the navy and had no problems whatsoever with that. I like the military and everything about it, I just happened to pick a job that I really knew nothing about and if I had thought about it, knew I probably wasn't really capable of doing.

I would really like to be back in the military which is why I asked my question in the first place. But I have the experience and sense, now, to know what jobs I just don't have the aptitude for.

Anyway, I knew what I was in for when I posted but I don't regret posting and I appreciate the honesty.

Like len173 said, If you really want a part in the military, I would go and talk to a recruiter and discuss your situation and see what he has to say, because you will get a better answer from the recruiter than anyone else here on this website. Good luck with everything and hope things work out.

lexmark

If you believe that you have changed and that you can make amends with us by making satisfactory contributions, you're more than welcome to go to your local CFRC. You must understand, however, that the decision ultimately is theirs.

I must inform you also, that being AWOL in the Canadian Forces can result in reprimand, fine, detention/imprisonment, release under items 1 or 2, and/or combinations of all mentioned.

Everybody makes mistakes.

lexmark said:
Anyway, I knew what I was in for when I posted but I don't regret posting and I appreciate the honesty.

That statement indicates to me that you have matured considerably and just may deserve a second chance.

We here still cannot answer your question, though.

We here still cannot answer your question, though.

I asked my question a couple of weeks ago on the official site but I haven't received an answer as of yet which is why I posted here in the first place. I figured that someone with recruiting experience might be on a forum like this one.

OK, so assuming that you've matured, seen the light, won't abandon your teammates again, realize the military is now your future, whatever....... why don't you go home and join your own military?

I figure it must be easier to get a 'pardon' (or whatever's required) for the US military, than it would be to get citizenship in a foreign country

Edit: wording

I was 26 and single when I left, I'm 32 and married with kids now, so yeah I probably am more mature. I was also in the army reserves for a few years before the navy and had no problems whatsoever with that. I like the military and everything about it, I just happened to pick a job that I really knew nothing about and if I had thought about it, knew I probably wasn't really capable of doing.

I would really like to be back in the military which is why I asked my question in the first place. But I have the experience and sense, now, to know what jobs I just don't have the aptitude for.

Well, you do sound more mature and more aware of yourself, and what your looking for. Now your job is to convince recruiting. Make the best possible case you can for yourself. I wish you good luck in getting there. :cdn:

lexmark said:
I asked my question a couple of weeks ago on the official site but I haven't received an answer as of yet which is why I posted here in the first place. I figured that someone with recruiting experience might be on a forum like this one.

I know I'm dropping in late but I'll echo other poster's comments, give it a shot and apply at your local CFRC. The worst they can say is 'no' and you've really got nothing to loose.

Don't take the opinions of faceless internet posters on the specifics of your situation (of which they are not even aware) as advice on whether or not you should apply.

Go in and apply. That's the only way you'll find out for sure.

Well, I contacted a reserve unit in my area by email and their recruiter was unable to give me an answer. He said that the forces are accepting permanent residents now but he didn't know about the discharge. I find that a bit odd since he is the unit's recruiter but whatever. He also suggested I contact the CFRC nearest me.

I asked my question again on the official site so I will wait a few days to see if they answer me. If not, I will contact the local CFRC directly.

Be aware that the recruiter for a reserve unit would be used to having 99% of his/her applicants as Canadian citizens.  Add in the mix that you have foreign service, and a non-typical discharge from that service, and you certainly put yourself into an exclusive group of people.  It's not unusual that a reserve unit recruiter wouldn't have come across these particular circumstances before.

Nor will all Reserve Recruiters have had any training for the position that they may be filling.  That and the fact that this is a recent development that all may not be very familiar with.

Occam said:
It's not unusual that a reserve unit recruiter wouldn't have come across these particular circumstances before.
Oh, go on. I'm sure that recruiters, RegF and Res, are constantly scrambling around trying to sign up people who've abandoned their shipmates and been kicked out of foreign militaries.  ::)

I think the thread's title should be "Should WE even bother?"

And my less-than-humble opinion is a resounding fucking NO! *

* Mind you, that opinion has been formed by several decades in military units where I could depend upon the person to my left and right. If someone wants to leap up and say "oh, it's OK, we don't mind people with a track record of dishonourable sorry, 'less than honourable' service," then by all means, take the POS.
Again, just my opinion; I haven't spent much time on second-string teams.

If someone wants to leap up and say "oh, it's OK, we don't mind people with a track record of dishonourable sorry, 'less than honourable' service," then by all means, take the POS

I said I knew what I was in for when I posted. I admitted my mistake. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, "POS" is making it personal and you don't know me, just what I posted. You have no idea of what kind of sailor I was or what I did while in the navy. And yeah, what I did was pretty bad but you weren't in my shoes and are in no position to call me a "POS"

You know it and everyone that has every been in the military knows it, there are many, many more POS's still serving that noone would miss if they went awol. I served with them and I'm sure you did to. So ask yourself, can you really depend on the people around you?

Journeyman said:
Oh, go on. I'm sure that recruiters, RegF and Res, are constantly scrambling around trying to sign up people who've abandoned their shipmates and been kicked out of foreign militaries.  ::)

I think the thread's title should be "Should WE even bother?"

And my less-than-humble opinion is a resounding fucking NO! *

* Mind you, that opinion has been formed by several decades in military units where I could depend upon the person to my left and right. If someone wants to leap up and say "oh, it's OK, we don't mind people with a track record of dishonourable sorry, 'less than honourable' service," then by all means, take the POS.
Again, just my opinion; I haven't spent much time on second-string teams.

Quit beating around the bush and tell us what you really think, JM.

Damn right he can!

JM and I have moved in some of the same circles (mind you at different times for some of them) and for a fact he could/can/does and will 100% put his trust in those people to his left and right.

You however have a proves track record of not being trustworthy look yourself in the mirror and ask if your former shipmates trusted you....

I and JM wont have to worry about it though as you wont EVER be in my or JM's circle

...............and that's a wrap. We'll cut it off here before the six inch rulers come out.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back