• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shining my Mk IIIs

Forgotten_Hero

Inactive
Reaction score
I read on the page that I got that I should apply some silicon or something first, in order to repel the water... where do I get this stuff? I also read that I shouldnt apply any shiner to it cuz it damages the shoe... so how am I supposed to shine them!?

Your not SUPPOSE to shine them because apparantly it boot looses its waterproofness, Ive Brushed shined my boots with Kiwi Polish and havent had any problems yet, but also too i havent worn them alot, anymore experienced guys have any recomendations?

Note: Ive Used the old Stuff, They now put something in the new polish that gives it a glossy appeareance and different texture

Papke said:
Your not SUPPOSE to shine them because apparantly it boot looses its waterproofness,

What are you, kidding? "Um, no, sorry MCpl, I didn't shine my boots because it would make it stop being waterproof."

I'll pay someone to try that, let us know how it turns out.

Even though some guys said it would be a fire hazard in the cockpit to polish the MkIII's, and that's why they didin't do it, I figured it was just a bit of air force laziness... ;D 

Don't know about the waterproofing deal...I read the little card that comes with each new pair of boots.  The first thing I did was throw the card away, then soaked the boots in hot water at home, and wore them abound the with bags on my feet.  I do that with each pair of MkIII's I get and they break in nicely and I never get any hot spots with them.  Then, I brush polish them with good 'ole Kiwi and buff them with a nylon rag.  If I'm really bored in the office I'll even spit the toes a bit...I guess that's what happens when you work too closely with your Amry buds! :D

Last I heard, you are only supposed to use boot blackener on Mk III's. That is the official word.

I have NEVER used boot blackener, even when I had sweat stains or crud on them.

To be clear, we're talking about regular combat boots, not goretex or any other type. That being said, polish your boots. Use Kiwi polish and a good horsehair brush. Use only a little polish, and polish the whole boot (well, all the leather that is).

If someone 'accuses' you of polishing them, you didn't - you used 'boot blackener and silicone'. ;)

I honestly think the boot blackener and silicone was something the LCMMs dreamed up based on what Greb told them had to be done to make the boot last as long as possible.  Good point about the other boots...when you really nead a cold, wet-weather boot, etc... the Prospector (or the Matterhorn for us aircrew) is what will keep your feet nice and dry.  I consider my MkIII's to be a more comfortable version of the garrison boot (what was up with those?) for use in garrison.

I will say that the only pair of boots I've ever had that actually rotted away (after less than 2 yrs use) was a pair that had never been treated with anything except silicone and blackener... another pair I've got is almost 10 yrs old, very comfortable, and has never seen anything except Kiwi products (unless, of course, you count mud, water, gravel, sand, etc. as "treatment")...

End opinion, the silicone and blackener don't stand up to punishment at all. If you want a pair that will survive life in the army, use what the wiser, older soldiers use.

BTW, don't bother buying the "parade gloss" kiwi polish. Plain old black is best, especially for cbt boots.

Caesar said:
Last I heard, you are only supposed to use boot blackener on Mk III's. That is the official word.

I have NEVER used boot blackener, even when I had sweat stains or crud on them.

To be clear, we're talking about regular combat boots, not goretex or any other type. That being said, polish your boots. Use Kiwi polish and a good horsehair brush. Use only a little polish, and polish the whole boot (well, all the leather that is).

If someone 'accuses' you of polishing them, you didn't - you used 'boot blackener and silicone'. ;)

Yeah, and nobody cuts the liner out of their beret, and everyone wears all their kit exactly like the instructions say....

Yeah, right!

The common practice is for everyone to brush shine with Kiwi polish (not spit shine like parade boots) their Mk 3 boots. I have not seen a can of boot blackener in about 8 yrs, as nobody uses it any more....

no wait, I saw somebody using it to blacken the tires on a Bison a couple yrs ago for a dog and pony.

the 'new' boot blackener is the green tin stuff for your CCW boots.

Forgotten_Hero said:
What about the silicone? Where do I get that to apply to the boot?

I'm not sure if you can still get it at clothing stores or not, that's where I got my can of it years ago when I was in the Reserves. It's one of the things like lip gloss and sun screen that they give away.

The first thing I do is give my MkIIIs a good coat of silicone, once dry I polish them with Kiwi polish and a buffing brush. The silicone doesn't breakdown the leather at all, or at least it hasn't on my boots in the last 8 years, but it sure does make them a lot more water proof since the liquid silicone can get in the places that polish can't.

Inch, you're not hanging your feet outside in the dip, are you? ;D

DPT said:
Inch, you're not hanging your feet outside in the dip, are you? ;D

You're not supposed to? Man have I been taken for a ride.    :D

Sig Bloggins said:
What are you, kidding? "Um, no, sorry MCpl, I didn't shine my boots because it would make it stop being waterproof."

I'll pay someone to try that, let us know how it turns out.

I said it on my BMQ..... Sgt said to shine them next time. I said fine. I was merely doing what the tag on the boots said (Do not shine).

Unfortunately for you, in that situation, your Sgt was right and the tag was wrong. On any basic course, you do exactly what they tell you to do and do it how they tell you to do it, whether the little tag says not to do it or not.

Meh, I don't see how it was unfortunate. It's not like he beat me to a pulp or anything, then it would be unfortunate.

Lots of people in my unit tell me not to shine my boots. So far the only time I have been told to shine boots was on BMQ.. I know it's a unit to unit thing but being told to not shine your boots is not unheard of. But if your BMQ or SQ or whatever instructor tells you to do so, then do it. 

But I havent shined my boots since basic... I mean once they get visibly scuffy and dirty I clean them up, but I never shine them like I did on basic.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, Greb made Cbt Boots Mk 1s and we were issued Silicone to treat them.  This silicone came in a can with a dabber and was also mixed with 'blackner' or a dull liquid polish, so when applied it dried black.  Then someone in their wisdom separated the silicone from the blackner and made it two tins, one silicone and one blackner.  It was discovered in the early 1980's that the blackner, which gave a nice glossy black finish, rotted the leather.

Silicone can still be found in tins at your CQ or SQ stores if you are lucky.  Since the 1980's we have been applying Kiwi black polish to our Cbt Boots.  When instructed "not to shine" our boots, it really means "DO NOT SPIT SHINE" your boots (as they are COMBAT boots, not parade boots).

You will see a tag in your Cbt Boots, when you are first issued them, that gives you instructions for their care.  That tag may be the same as the original, issued in the 1970's and never 'updated'.

GW

Inch said:
I'm not sure if you can still get it at clothing stores or not, that's where I got my can of it years ago when I was in the Reserves. It's one of the things like lip gloss and sun screen that they give away.

Balm, my friend, balm!!

We had a girl on my driver's course who washed her combats with her lip gloss still in the pocket of her shirt - she predated CADPAT by about 10 years once it came out of the dryer with all the little spots on it.

I have the kiwi stuff... do I have to find the silicone and apply it? Where can I find the silicone?

Michael Dorosh said:
Balm, my friend, balm!!

We had a girl on my driver's course who washed her combats with her lip gloss still in the pocket of her shirt - she predated CADPAT by about 10 years once it came out of the dryer with all the little spots on it.

As a side note, if you happen to be lucky enough that the tube of lip balm makes it through the washer and dryer without coming open, if you happen to take your combats out of the dryer, and open the tube, the stuff should be liquid enough to pour... all over your combats.

Michael Dorosh said:
Balm, my friend, balm!!

My bad, I forgot how the army guys prefer balm since gloss is meant for ladies. Are you implying something Dorosh?  ;D

Back