• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shift Worker leave

ixium

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before, but the only topic I found was 5 years old.

Where I am it is currently 5 days on(12h shifts) 5 days off. Sometimes things happen and we get booked on ranges or other IBTS required things on our days off. Which is usually not last minute, so there is plenty of time to sort things out and plan around them.

However, there is now a Coopers test that is going to be run by our CoC for people in a very short time. All shifts have to be there and no one is able to be excused.

There are a few people that have already booked things, and one that is on IR that travels back 1h drive to where his wife and kids are every time off and they are wondering how it works.

According to 2.8.01 of the Leave Policy Manual the CO is supposed to ensure that our time off is equivilant to that of a normal job. Work days and non-working days(basically our weekends).

2.1.04 says that weekends don't require leave passes. Does that include shift workers non-working days?
Are those that booked things already able to put in claims? And the IR guy?

The Coopers test isn't the issue, we have requested that another one be booked during our two shifts time during work, which would mean only 1h each extra instead of in the middle of the time off. And that was shot down. No outside assests are being used and this is strictly our 4 groups doing it.

As well, please don't say that "you have tons of time off anyways!" Per year we work 25 extra 8-4 days over someone that does normal shifts, we aren't allowed to book appointments during day shifts ever, and literally have to have a note that says it can't be rescheduled if we do AND we get no stat holidays, short days or under the table days. If you can't change you appointment and it is during a day shift, there is a high probability that you have to work an extra day on another shift. We work 5 on, 5 off, no matter what is going on.

If you had a leave pass that was approved then yes but I have never seen a regulation that will authorize claiming items for your normal day off that has now been scheduled as a work day.

Shift workers non-working days are the same as a weekend - a day off so no leave pass required unless you are travelling.

I am guessing the IR guy is already getting compensated for being away from his family by claiming the separation.  Hope he is reporting to his clerk the days he is visiting them so his claim is adjusted accordingly (or did they take away the incidentals and meals last change??).

For the members that would normally be off that day there is an argument for the CO to be giving them another day off somewhere.  The question would be is it worth the fight?

CountDC said:
I am guessing the IR guy is already getting compensated for being away from his family by claiming the separation.  Hope he is reporting to his clerk the days he is visiting them so his claim is adjusted accordingly (or did they take away the incidentals and meals last change??).

Pretty sure on IR it's now only rent and (some) utilities.

Back