• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sharpening the Gerber

CADPAT SOLDIER

Inactive
Reaction score
How does one go about Shrapening the Gerber knife blade?
Mines pretty nicked and dull from someone trying to use it to reef carbon out of a C6.
also the cutters have dulled considerably from cutting barbed wire, but I really don't care alot about those because they still do the trick.

Give it to the Weapon Tech... j/k... just get the stone out... or get it replaced.

is there a type of shrapening stoen i should use? I've never shrapened a knife before and don't exactly know how to do it.
Plus I"m afraid 17 wing supply will take away my knife as I don't think I;m entitled to it anymore now that the regs changed again.

Three grades of Arkansas stone, and some good quality honing oil.  Don't store your stones without cleaning the oil off, they get clogged up pretty fast. Start with the soft stone first, then progress to the hardest. A 20-30 degree blade angle is best for a general purpose cutting edge, almost like trying to carve a very thin slice off the stone.  Keep the number of strokes the same for each side of the blade.  If you've got an old canvas web or leather belt around, strop the blade to remove the wire edge that will form.  Watch your fingers, if you do it right, the blade will be sharper than new

Just go to your local Crappy Tire Hunting Goods... they"ll help you out.

Cheers,
TN2IC

Or if you own a few knives and enjoy sharpening, you could always get a rod-guided sharpening system, like the Lansky Deluxe kit.

Now all my knives are shaving sharp, all the time.

Of course... It's kinda cheating, but I suck at holding a steady angle sharpening traditionally. And its so fast with the lansky.  ;D

Future Unknown said:
is there a type of shrapening stoen i should use? I've never shrapened a knife before and don't exactly know how to do it.
Plus I"m afraid 17 wing supply will take away my knife as I don't think I;m entitled to it anymore now that the regs changed again.

Someone said crappy tire...nah....your in Winnipeg, head on down to S.I.R. It's on Ellice near Empress.

You could also try Wholesale Sports on St James.

somewhat on the same line...but sorry for hi-jacking it... any suggestions on how to sharpen a Jump knife? I've tried but I dont think i'm doing it right *duh*.... :)

MedTech said:
somewhat on the same line...but sorry for hi-jacking it... any suggestions on how to sharpen a Jump knife? I've tried but I dont think i'm doing it right *duh*.... :)

Do the same for a Russel Belt Knife (I'm assuming that's what you're calling a "jump knife") as I outlined for the Gerber.  Three grades of Arkansas stone, plenty of good light oil.

yup :) where can I get the stones and oil? would your local canadian tire have it?

Didn't somone answer this earlier - In this thread?

All major camping/hardware stores have them, the best ones are usuially in outdoors/hunting stores.
Cdn Tire, and Walmart even have them.

If you are a beginner like me, you will get much better results using an angle guide of some sort.

http://www.ebladestore.com/sharpening_tips.shtml

This is one page of a long sharpening guide I found a while ago - I can't find the whole thing right now...

You can even check out butcher supply stores,they will have stones.Back when I was looking for a new stone Walmart had crap!

Back