• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

(SGT?) Franck Gervais (split from Walts, posers)

Love it or lump it, I foresee community service. Perhaps have him scrub floors in the military museum would be a fitting punishment if it comes to that?

And to think, if he had stuck to a green beret, perhaps with a Logistics hat badge and at most a QDJM, no one would have even blinked an eye...

Good2Golf said:
And to think, if he had stuck to a green beret, perhaps with a Logistics hat badge and at most a QDJM, no one would have even blinked an eye...

No glory in that...

Indeed.  It seems that those who do such things are delusional enough that they almost know no bounds. I guess the only limit yet to be met is order ending to have a VC...(waiting)

Good2Golf said:
How very true.  It's not very glamorous to say that you drove trucks in convoys to deliver goods, warehoused and issued materiel, packed and shipped materiel, cooked food, took care of the mail, or administered people.  However if you happen to not doing any of these jobs to sustain the fighting forces ....

George Wallace said:
So now it is August (2015).  Perhaps.......
Zackly .....
A 32-year-old Cantley, Quebec man who garnered national attention last Remembrance Day for wearing a Canadian Armed Forces dress uniform on live TV, despite not being in the military, will be in court Tuesday to be sentenced.

Franck Gervais pleaded guilty in March to two charges of donning a military uniform, despite not serving in the military, and for wearing medals he didn't earn.

He was originally supposed to be sentenced in May, but the case was postponed until August 4th.

Additional charges of impersonating a soldier were expected to be formally withdrawn at sentencing ....

The sentence is in and I'm good with it.

Updated
Franck Gervais, who wore illegal military gear, gets probation, community service

Cantley, Que., man appeared on CBC News speaking as a sergeant on Nov. 11, 2014

CBC NewsPosted: Aug 04, 2015 7:38 AM ET|Last Updated: Aug 04, 2015 11:39 AM ET

The Quebec man who illegally wore a military uniform and medals during last year's Remembrance Day ceremony has received a suspended sentence of probation and community service.

Franck Gervais of Cantley, Que., north of Ottawa, wiped away tears and choked up several times as he told the courtroom his actions were wrong, misguided and inappropriate, and he will regret them for the rest of his life.

He said he had intended to pay homage to soldiers and veterans and didn't mean to offend anyone.

He was sentenced to 12 months of probation and 50 hours of community service through the Collaborative Justice Program.

Tuesday's sentence followed the 33-year-old's guilty plea in March to charges of unlawful use of military uniforms and unlawful use of military decoration while dressed as a sergeant. Two charges of impersonating a public officer were withdrawn.

Gervais was wearing the Canadian Armed Forces ceremonial dress uniform of a sergeant with the Royal Canadian Regiment at the Nov. 11 ceremony broadcast live by CBC News.

He was also wearing the Medal of Bravery, the Special Service Medal with one bar, the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal, the NATO Medal for Kosovo and a Canadian Forces Decoration for 12 years of service.

Gervais taken to National Military Cemetery

On Tuesday in court, three veterans read victim impact statements.

The court also heard the results of a restorative justice project that saw Gervais being taken on a tour of the National Military Cemetery in Ottawa on Aug. 1 by retired major Gerald S. Wharton.

"From the beginning to the end of our two and a half hours together, Mr. Gervais displayed appreciation for what the program had offered and was profusely thankful for my part in it," Wharton wrote in his prepared statement, which was filed with the courthouse before his testimony.

"He was attentive to what he was experiencing and attempted to explain the esteem in which he held the Canadian Armed Forces, his desire to be part of it and his frustration of being unable to penetrate that barrier."

Wharton also said he was left with the impression that Gervais's actions in 2014 "had no malicious intent."

Spoke as 'sergeant' in 2014 interview

After a brief interview during the Nov. 11 broadcast in 2014, in which Gervais spoke as a "sergeant," a number of veterans and soldiers called CBC News to question his status.

Gervais is not a member of the Canadian Forces.

Court heard Gervais was a cadet for several years in the 1990s, but never joined the military. He was arrested in Ottawa in November and later charged.

His misrepresentations on Nov. 11 did not end at the Remembrance Day ceremony, according to the agreed statement of facts heard in court.

Gervais and his wife went to the Canadian War Museum, where author Rod McLeod was promoting his book, Vigil, the statement said. Gervais spoke to McLeod and an officer with the Canadian reserves, falsely claiming he had been a paratrooper and had earned the Medal of Bravery.

Franck Gervais's lawyer, Claude Levesque, had requested an adjournment to sentencing in May.

i think that with this justice has been served, lessons have been learned and the general public have a greater awareness of this type of thing.  I'm glad his life won't be totally ruined by this error in judgement. 

I think we can all move on from this particular case now.

Probation and Community service?

Is this really a fair punishment? I don't think so.

Although, if I were to pick where he should do his community service it would be to work with disabled veterans. He should learn what sacrifice truly is and that it should not be tarnished by wannabe civilians. I think it would be beneficial for him to do something along the lines of helping veterans.

To those of you that have served this country here and abroad and have lost comrades in battle, I would like to apologize on behalf of Canada for this guys complete lack of compassion for this countries servicemen and servicewomen. I can only imagine what you guys have gone through to serve our country and I appreciate everything you have done for this countries freedom, including my own.

Sincerely,
luttrellfan

luttrellfan said:
Probation and Community service?

Is this really a fair punishment? I don't think so.

Although, if I were to pick where he should do his community service it would be to work with disabled veterans. He should learn what sacrifice truly is and that it should not be tarnished by wannabe civilians. I think it would be beneficial for him to do something along the lines of helping veterans.

To those of you that have served this country here and abroad and have lost comrades in battle, I would like to apologize on behalf of Canada for this guys complete lack of compassion for this countries servicemen and servicewomen. I can only imagine what you guys have gone through to serve our country and I appreciate everything you have done for this countries freedom, including my own.

Sincerely,
luttrellfan

Interesting.  What would be a fair punishment then? No offense but you don't need to apologize on behalf of Canada for this guy's transgression.  The law took care of it.  Public outrage and the media did the rest.  This guy has a criminal record now, was shamed enough and seems to have learned his lesson.  I'm not sure that exacting a pound of flesh would serve any purpose.

I agree with Cantor, this individual has more than paid for his crimes. After all, one of the aims of the judicial system is to prevent an individual from re-offending, I think Mr Gervais has more than learned his lesson without the need for unnecessary imprisonment. The public is more well educated as a result of his actions too, so it serves multiple purposes.

Stonegeneral said:
I agree with Cantor, this individual has more than paid for his crimes. After all, one of the aims of the judicial system is to prevent an individual from re-offending, I think Mr Gervais has more than learned his lesson without the need for unnecessary imprisonment. The public is more well educated as a result of his actions too, so it serves multiple purposes.

I agree.  And if he ends up doing community service that is associated with veterans, maybe he will learn that there are better and more constructive ways to show one's appreciation for the military and what they do.

The Ottawa news coverage may have given more info than other outlets as to what Mr Gervais has done.  The Ottawa coverage stated that he visited the National Military Cemetery of the Canadian Forces with Maj (Ret'd) Gerry Wharton and knelt at each and every grave paying his respect.  It is a good step in the right direction and probably a lot more than other offenders have shown in repenting their transgressions. 

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/phoney-soldier-franck-gervais-sentenced-to-probation-community-service

Agreed.  I believe he as learned some valuable lessons from this experience and will be a better person for it.  I no longer have any quibble with the man, I wish him well.

A question was asked elsewhere about if there were any Veterans in the courtroom yesterday. Anyone.?

Back