• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sgt Ernest Smith VC dead at 91

signalsguy said:
I just got back to work after going over to Parliament Hill to pay my respects to Smokey. There was a pretty good turnout, with probably 1500 military pers in line by the time I was leaving at 1100.

Unfortunately, my 'unit' appears to have not taken the CDS and DM's direction to heart ( ) and because many of them didn't 'feel' like wearing CFs, they didn't go...

Working at NDHQ can be pretty demoralizing.

I met Smokey in Cassino, Italy back in 99 and had the privilege of having a few drinks listening to him.  If i had been in Ontario i would have gone and waited all day if i had to.  Shame some people have no respect whatsoever.

I know I'm being a pest about this, but tough darts.  Smokey was a national treasure, and THAT kind of blatant disrespect needs a good swift bollocking from on high.  What next, optional Remembrance Day attendance?  Every reg force formation (at the VERY least) should be formally on parade as a sign of respect.  Just my humble, and, apparently, solitary opinion....

Kat

Kat Stevens said:
I know I'm being a pest about this, but tough darts.   Smokey was a national treasure, and THAT kind of blatant disrespect needs a good swift bollocking from on high.   What next, optional Remembrance Day attendance?   Every reg force formation (at the VERY least) should be formally on parade as a sign of respect.   Just my humble, and, apparently, solitary opinion....

Kat

I second your motion Kat.

He was a national treasure.  A few minutes with that man told me that much.  I have a picture of smokey and myself at the abby in cassino and it occupies a prominent place in my home.

I am very glad to see that the Seaforths were permitted to participate in the funeral for Smokey...

Now before i am trampled upon by those crying "WTF NOT?? WTF are you thinking SB?"...I will merely point out that my neighbours across the floor (The RHLI ) were not permitted to bury their own family member, John Foote VC....

On another note, I am very distressed to see that Dan Rather merits far more covereage than did Smokey......(I am not casting aspersions on Mr. Rather here, just commenting on the obvious bias in the media) Not suprising though given that formal education (at least here in Ontario) has reduced teaching kids about our military heritage to a bare minimum......(The "Parrish" school of thought perhaps?)

Something about having to inform co-workers / ordinary civilian type folks that Smokey WASN'T the front man for a blues band in Victoria nor a Jazz player for Glenn Miller distresses me....... ( 25 years of PC education??)

When I patiently explained who Smokey was and what he had done,the response was overwhelming. It is very apparent to me at least that "ordinary" Canadians of every stripe and background are fiercely proud of the contribution made by our vets and serving soldiers.........

Maybe one day our educators should reflect on this.......especially given that more and more of our Vets are reaching are passing on...

Rest in Peace Smokey. One of the greatest has passed on.  :cdn:

Good to see the Seaforth being able take care of their own at a time like this. 

signalsguy said:
I just got back to work after going over to Parliament Hill to pay my respects to Smokey. There was a pretty good turnout, with probably 1500 military pers in line by the time I was leaving at 1100.

Unfortunately, my 'unit' appears to have not taken the CDS and DM's direction to heart  and because many of them didn't 'feel' like wearing CFs, they didn't go...

Working at NDHQ can be pretty demoralizing.

I would have been in line at the same time as you were and was fortunate to be near the door when Smokey's family came out to the waiting cars. It was clear from the look on their faces that they were moved by the large numbers of military members lined up to pay their respects. I found the entire event to be very simple, elegant, and moving.

It staggers me that people would not take the time to go honour one of the last of Canada's great war heroes. Personally, I found the CDS/DM direction unneccesary - I would have gone even if I had to take a day's leave to attend. As it turned out, I would say the vast majority of people in my section, military and civilian, took the time to head over and pay their respects.

SG, as to the people in your 'unit' who chose not to attend, I have to ask: where were the leaders? Should they not have been out there making sure people carried out the direction given? I know that the leadership in my 'unit' was out in full force encouraging people to get out there as soon as possible.

Sam

Steel Badger said:
I am very glad to see that the Seaforths were permitted to participate in the funeral for Smokey...

Now before i am trampled upon by those crying "WTF NOT?? WTF are you thinking SB?"...I will merely point out that my neighbours across the floor (The RHLI ) were not permitted to bury their own family member, John Foote VC....

SB, I don't know the circumstances surrounding Padre Foote's funeral, but it is my understanding that Smokey gave specific directions on the conduct of his funeral and that one of his most specific "demands" was that he be buried by his beloved Seaforths. I know that COP Valour reflected this wish and that the Seaforths were also providing the honour guard for Smokey as he lay in state in Parliament.

Sam

Kat Stevens said:
I was under the impression that traditionally, flags remain down until the memorial, or internment.   At the very least, they should stay down while lying in state......no?
He was not laying in state yesterday.  He is today, and will be again on Friday.  The Funeral will be Saturday.

Latest news for the STC in Chilliwack is that it is optional for all DS and Candidates to attend. That being said, the Candidates from the Company have all been canvassed and all but a few had said they would not like to attend. Those 1 or 2 who do not want to attend, will likely be pursuaded as all of their peers want to go. Transport is being provided for them by the military.

Yes, there are also some from Edmonton coming out. As for the Seaforths being "allowed" to participate in Smokey's funeral, it would be almost criminal if they would not. Smokey was a Seaforth Sgt. and he should be carried to his final place of rest by the members of his Mess.

Rest in Peace Smokey.

HollywoodHitman said:
Latest news for the STC in Chilliwack is that it is optional for all DS and Candidates to attend. That being said, the Candidates from the Company have all been canvassed and all but a few had said they would not like to attend. Those 1 or 2 who do not want to attend, will likely be pursuaded as all of their peers want to go. Transport is being provided for them by the military.
Seems to me that if the option can be given, the CDS expects them to be there.

Message from CDS and DM regarding passing of Sgt "Smokey" Smith

It is with great sorrow that we must announce the death of Sgt (ret'd) Ernest Alvia "Smokey" Smith, Canada's last surviving Canadian Victoria cross recipient. Smokey died August 3rd, 05, 0400hrs local, in Vancouver B.C.

Smokey was born in New Westminster British Columbia on 3 may 1914. During the Second World War Mr Smith enlisted in the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada and served with that unit throughout its involvement in the Italian and Northwest European campaigns. It was in 1944, at the battle of Savio River, during the Italian campaign, that he clearly distinguished himself from other soldiers. At the battle, his actions of valour were recognized through him being awarded the Victoria Cross, the Commonwealth's highest award for valour. His war service ended with his de-activation from the permanent force on 13 April 1945.

Smokey's funeral will be a national undertaking with a view to honour not only Sgt Smith as an individual, but all those who have gone before him and who will come after him. Details of the arrangements will be distributed once they have been confirmed.

This funeral will be a national undertaking with plans for two lying-in-state ceremonies.  The first ceremony will take place in Ottawa on Tuesday, 9 August 05, in Centre Block of Parliament Buildings between 1000 hrs and 2030 hrs.  The second ceremony will take place in Vancouver on Friday, 12 August 05 at Seaforth Armoury (timings TBA).

Sgt Smith was a true Canadian hero and his passing is particularly poignant as we honour all those who went before us during this year of the veteran.

To ensure we properly acknowledge Sgt Smith's contribution and those of his fellow veterans, a maximum Canadian Forces (CF) representation is strongly encouraged at the two lying-in-state ceremonies.  Therefore, CF personnel within reasonable military transport (buses, etc) commuting distance of these two locations will be expected to attend and pay their respects. Local commanders should facilitate this. (Dress for the ceremonies will be DEU 1a.)

Civilian DND employees should also feel free to attend these lying-in-state ceremonies if they are so inclined.

Books of condolence will be available for signing in Ottawa in the Foyer of the House of Commons and at the Canadian War Museum, and in Vancouver at the Seaforth Highlanders Armoury, 1650 Burrard Street.  The books of condolence may be signed at any of these three locations on Monday, 8 August - 0900 - 2000 hrs (local time) (1800 hrs at the Canadian War Museum).

Condolences can also be sent by email via DND's web site by visiting: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Feature_Story/2005/08/smokey_f_e.asp.

On behalf of the Canadian Forces and the Department of National Defence, we would like to send our sincerest condolences to Smokey's family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

English Text Ends/Fin Du Texte Anglais

Sam; you're quite right that Smokey and his family had specific instructions that he was to have the ceremony in Vancouver and for the Seaforths to be leading it. I think that it's very fortunate he had done so, or I think we may not have been involved at all, and the entire funeral would have taken place in Ottawa. As for the current arrangements, the Seaforths have provided a quarter guard for both the departure and arrival in Vancouver, a vigil guard for the lying in state both in Ottawa and Vancouver, pallbearers, and an honour guard for the final procession and funeral. There will be a much larger marching contingent comprised of (I think) 1 CER and others from the Brigade, and the CF, but the procession will be led by the Seaforths. Considering how many people have full time jobs, or are away on course/taskings, I thought it was incredible how many people have been able to participate. Many members are even flying home from course on their own penny.

Also, I saw some footage from today of the (apparently) thousands of people lined up outside parliament to pay their last respects, and it's heartwarming. (article and video here: http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=7aa6717a-b3df-443f-893c-85de34dcc6d1 ). Considering how many people ignore the military, seeing parents bring their kids for this and teaching them about some Canadian heroes that aren't pop singers or hockey commentators is great.

combat_medic said:
There will be a much larger marching contingent comprised of (I think) 1 CER and others from the Brigade
It is 1 CER and 1 PPCLI. 

MCG said:
Seems to me that if the option can be given, the CDS expects them to be there.

The issue is specifically that the Powers That Be do not want CADPAT on Parade. They will be able to participate with 'Those not in Uniform'.........Troops in the MO don't get issued DEU's until after one year.

Does anyone know if the service in Vancouver will be televised?

I wish I could go... :'(

By permission of Mr. Roger Fordham, President of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Regimental Association.

roger.fordham@telus.net

Fellow Seaforths and Friends,

It is with great sadness that I report to you that our brother Smoky has passed on to the ranks of the Eternal Seaforths.  He is now with his brothers and sisters who serve the memory for what it stands for to be a Seaforth.  I wish to pass on a personal thanks to all those who made his last few days with us the most precious.  I know that in life he made many of us proud and touched the lives of so many both within the ranks and within the community.

Smokey will be Lying in State from "dawn till dusk" on Friday, August 12th.  at the Armory.

The funeral for Smoky Smith, VC will be held Saturday, August 13th at St Andrew Wesley Church on the corner of Nelson and Burrard commencing at 11:00 hrs.

Buses have been laid on to start moving those that are unable to parade beginning at 9:00 hrs. You should consider this as your arrival time at the Armory.  The buses will then return us to the Armory after the service.

The parade will leave the Armory approx. 10:20-10:30 hrs.  There will be a reception to follow at the Armory from 12:00 to 15:00 hrs.  The main Parade Square will be for general public reception.

We have a Seaforth who would very much like to attend the funeral of Smokey Smith, VC but is unable to drive.  I have been contacted by his daughter for assistance in this matter.  Peter Labrie served overseas with Smoky and it would mean a great deal to him to attend and he lives in the Horseshoe Bay area.  In consideration of this, there may be more of our brothers and sisters who do not have transport to get to the Armory or home. 

If you are planning on attending AND you don't mind carpooling with a Seaforth, please let me know and I will keep the info on hand.  If anyone could help out Peter Labrie, please let me know and I will forward you contact info to arrange it.

There will be a "Celebration of Life" in Honor of Smokey Smith, VC held at the Royal Canadian Legion (49th and Fraser) on Friday, August 12th commencing at 18:00 hrs.  This event is being put together by the Legion in memory of Smokey.  It is unofficial and in addition to any arrangements the Family or Government has arranged.

Carry on...

Roger K.L. Fordham, President

Seaforth Regimental Association

And this just in...

Sent : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 4:13 AM

Seaforths and Friends,

Just to bring you up to date on the timings and arrangements for Friday, August 12 and Saturday, August 13.

The Regimental Museum will be open on Friday from 10:00 to 14:00 hrs and on Saturday from 12:00 to 15:00 hrs.  The reception for the general public will be on the main Parade Square with the O Mess, Anderson Room and the WO/Sgt's Mess reserved for dignitaries, VIP's and alike as stated before.  The JR's Mess will NOT be open but the Association Lounge WILL be open (or at lease we have not been instructed otherwise).  Seaforth Ops has noted that there will be a parking restriction within the Seaforth grounds and I am waiting on "definite" confirmation.  This being said, please arrive early if you plan to park at the Armory.

The buses will be shuttling persons starting at 9:00 hrs and so I would request if you are planning on attending the Funeral, please arrive a bit early, THERE MAY BE AN UPDATE AS FAR AS BUSSES are concerned so I will advise as I get clarification.  The church is big BUT it is anticipated it will not hold all who plan to attend.  Those not in the Funeral Parade are requested to be at the church as early as possible, preferably 10:00.  Aside from Military, Guard and Official Reservations at the church, (this is what hurts) those who take part in the Funeral Parade may not be able to access the church for the Funeral Service.  This was communicated to me quite urgently through the Chain of Command.  Now, there is a new development in the Funeral Parade timings.  The CBC will be televising the Funeral Parade live and nationally so timings have been updated to accommodate media (thanks to the Honorary L/Col. For the update) THE PARADE WILL STEP OFF AT 10:00 hrs.  This means that RV the Armory for Association members is still 09:00 but the sooner the better so that I can get a grip on the numbers and the order of march.

I apologize if any of the information relayed conflicts with actual or previously sent communications but please note that things will change daily until the Funeral.  Please do not hesitate to writ or call if you need clarification.
Carry on

Roger K.L. Fordham, President

There is also going to be navy personel from Marpac taking part, a marching contigent from Comox, as well there will be a CF18 fly past with the missing man formation over the city of Vancouver.
I think there are also VPD and RCMP marchers as well.   There are going to be at least 400 people on parade.   And I mean AT LEAST, that is just the soldiers, the other numbers I am not sure.

I wish I was able to go but am on duty that day and can not get off, too bad this is going to be a historic and moving funeral.

About the half mast.   I did not see a half message until Monday.   Stating that the half masting will take place on the 9th.   Which is sick because I have seen them at half mast for Members of Parliament, RCMP, Tsunami victims, for a heck of alot longer then what we are giving Smokey.   I think most units just gave up waiting and decided on their own to half mast.

I can't be there but were I'm too I will be in my best bib and tucker. :cdn: :salute:

Sam69 said:
I would have been in line at the same time as you were and was fortunate to be near the door when Smokey's family came out to the waiting cars. It was clear from the look on their faces that they were moved by the large numbers of military members lined up to pay their respects. I found the entire event to be very simple, elegant, and moving.

It staggers me that people would not take the time to go honour one of the last of Canada's great war heroes. Personally, I found the CDS/DM direction unneccesary - I would have gone even if I had to take a day's leave to attend. As it turned out, I would say the vast majority of people in my section, military and civilian, took the time to head over and pay their respects.

SG, as to the people in your 'unit' who chose not to attend, I have to ask: where were the leaders? Should they not have been out there making sure people carried out the direction given? I know that the leadership in my 'unit' was out in full force encouraging people to get out there as soon as possible.

Sam

I was probably pretty close to you then, as I was on the steps when the family came out and overheard them talking as well.

The leadership of my unit is so lacking that its not even worth talking about because my heart will start missing beats and the vein in my forehead will throb.

I made DAMNED sure that everyone who DIDN'T go and who sat around on their fat arses saw me in my 1As when I came back. And I gave it to a few people who asked me why I was in CFs.

Its the new CF, lots of direct entry Cpls and other such crap. People who need to be told to salute the Ceremonial Guards colour party, and the war memorial...

It was good to see all of the troops from Kingston and I'm assuming Petawawa show up!

Back