• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seriously considering joing the CF

mak16

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am 33 years old, and have recently lost my way in life, as i was let go from my printing job, which happens to be all i have known since high school.  After leaving that job, i have determined that i no longer see a life time of printing in my future. Given that this is all i have done and neither have a degree in anything or a career path, i have been forced to put serious thought into my future.  Being surrounded by numerous friends and family that are both past and presently in the CF, joining myself has become a very serious consideration.

It honestly was never a thought of mine growing up, but is seeming to be a really fit for me at this stage of my life.  I have always enjoyed challenges (mentally and physically), am in need of some guidance and discipline, want to provide for myself and future family, and am a proud Canadian.

I have taken a couple trips down to the recruiting centre to browse jobs and ask a few questions.
One thing that i have gotten mixed answer about is, the differences between the Reg force and the reserves... other than the full time vs part time answer.  In terms of amount of work, i have heard that there are limitations on how much you can work, but have also heard the contrary. Since i am not planning on it being a part time work option, i would need to be able to work pretty much full time hours.  But i, like many others, would prefer to join as a reserve at first, to get a feel for the way of life.

What i would really like to know are the differences between the two, right from the beginning (BMQ, training, work, postings, tours etc) as well as the restrictions.  How they are both treated in terms of leaving, in the case that you are unable to complete BMQ, or decide that the forces are not for you.

I know i am asking alot of questions, but this is such a big decision, and i would just like to have as much info as possible, and not just dive in blindly.

Thanks in advance, for any advice i can get.

Mike

PS. If it matters i am considering the field of RMS Clerk with the Air Force.

I'm sure if you did a search you could find many answers to your questions. The Canadian Forces likes independent and capable members, and being able to find information on joining (which is readily available) is one of your first steps.

IBX. Not entirely true.
Each element trains their Reserve forces differently with regard to BMQ.

Air Force will do all regular force training at regular training times as this is the route I took in the CF.

1. BMQ would be 13 weeks in Saint Jean
2. Trade training in Borden(not sure on duration for RMS clerk)
3. OJT at a unit.

As a reservist you can expect to be on "Class A" contract and can work a maximum of 14 days per month.  "Class B/C" would be full time and you'll be paid 85% of what a regular force member would make.  The pay rates are available in the data section on the Forces.ca website.

If you are looking for a Full time Job with a career path, you should talk to your family about going regular Force.

For anyone else that has more up to date information please feel free to correct me.

Joining the forces is never an easy option .... I mean it's not like trying to get in a Subway and make sandwich .... you have to know that there is a lot of good sides on joining , but there will also come times where you might want to back out of it , depending on the kind of personality you have. 

Reserve and Regular, I think the big difference is the fact that Reserve is aimed towards people not wanting to commit to a contract with the CF , if there is a mission around the world , you are not OBLIGATED to go , of course if you do it benefits your personal experience and also might improve your overall skills for promotions and such .... but you don't HAVE to go ....

The regular force , works on contract , so if your unit is deployed usually you will follow them ( exceptions might occur but let's stay in the regular forms ) ..... it is also a number of years contract , which you will sign and will have to commit to

Usually the regular forces will let you choose your "job" but you will have to stick to it ( some people might change trade during they're time with the CF but then again it's not something to take for granted ).

The reserve will have USUALLY 1 trade per reserve ( if you go to valcartier , bagotville , etc. etc. ) these are bigger reserve so they might have 2-3 trades in the same reserve

so you will usually have to apply at the specific reserve you're looking into , if you want to go AIR FORCE , usually the reserve for the air-force are open from Monday to Friday , rarely on the weekends ( I have to go to an army reserve because of that )

Hopefully this will help a bit

SentryMAn said:
As a reservist you can expect to be on "Class A" contract and can work a maximum of 14 days per month.  "Class B/C" would be full time and you'll be paid 85% of what a regular force member would make.

How do you become a "Class B/C"?

mak16 said:
How do you become a "Class B/C"?

Class B can be offered through the unit as requested/required. i.e. clerk positions or training courses. Or you can look for one on the internal CF job posting site.

Class C is for deployments.

IBX.Lee said:
Training for reservists and reg forces are the same as the Canadian Forces likes the idea of reservists being equally capable as many reservists end up going out and working with the reg forces.

I'm sure if you did a search you could find many answers to your questions. The Canadian Forces likes independent and capable members, and being able to find information on joining (which is readily available) is one of your first steps.

Not true. A search would have revealed this to you. Please do not post information you cannot completely vouch for from firsthand experience.

Back