• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sell The Vatican, Feed The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Sell The Vatican, Feed The World

That's the unsolicited advice from Sarah Silverman to the Pope to make the world a better place - or at least to further her signature brand of snark-infested and taboo-tinged humor.
I "have not" provided a link to You Tube for her video as it may offend some and also I'd rather not get banned. Just copy the thread title into You Tube and you'll find it.
I thought it was quite funny but I like most of Silverman's humour.

That's just the way I am.  :)

I suppose you could also raise money to feed the world via prostitution, for example, by F***ing Matt Damon...

Not interested in link but I think if you sold Canada you could feed the world a bit longer.

I think she is HOT and funny...  (most times - she has had some misses)
I would do ....    ;D

cheers,
Frank

Here we go again.  Pick on the Roman Catholic Church.  "Silverman", eh?  Suppose that O'Grady said something about some Rabbi.  Just imagine.  Or, better yet, someone named "Gibson", as in "Mel Gibson". 
Anyway, a bit of a tangent here, but when the "Rich and Famous" hit me up for funds, I would like to tell them to bugger off, and take my donation from their take of the last movie/song/whatever for which I paid.  Bono of U2 is famous for trying to fight hunger in Africa.  Fine and noble.  Having said that, he goes off (with his band) and spends eleventy billion dollars on a stage.  Here's an idea: follow fellow Irishman Bob Geldof and spend your personal fortune on trying to better the world.

[/rant]

Silverman's line is older than the Reformation. St Francis was calling for the same course of action in the 13th century, successfully countered by the Dominicans.

The Vatican is central to the sense of connectedness that makes Catholicism such an important institution - for good or ill (according to your point of view) the Vatican not only connects people in the present. It connects the present to the past....and some would argue elements in its make up predate Peter and Christ themselves.

It is ridiculous to contemplate Catholicism without the Vatican and its treasures.

I'm not a Catholic but will defend anyone's religion.  The Roman Catholic Church has many thousand schools, hospitals, and universities.  I suspect they are doing their part as much as any other institution and probably moreso.  Any wealth the Church has acquired over the last 2 millenia would probably not feed the poor for long.

Mars Attacks!

President Dale: Why can't we work out our differences? Why can't we work things out? Little people, why can't we all just get along?

Dennis Ruhl said:
I'm not a Catholic but will defend anyone's religion. 
Technoviking said:
Here we go again.  Pick on the Roman Catholic Church. "Silverman", eh?
Let's not bring religion into this as it has nothing to do with it (I am Catholic). And what the heck does the "sound" of a name have to do with anything anymore. I definitely agree with the rest of your post. Also, Jesus was a Jew - a devout-practicing Jew. He told people to get rid of their possessions and to follow him. The Christian churches did the opposite once the rulers in Rome adopted Christianity.  The Christian church became what Jesus had fought against in the Jewish religious hierarchy. The riches that the Vatican has accumulated are utterly obscene.  So, the question that can settle this should be : What would Jesus do? And we all know the answer by his word and example: he would sell the Vatican and all church possessions.  However, I can't call myself much of a Christian as I don't practice that at all  :eek:  Sorry for talking about religion but I felt compelled to add that bit.  Silverman is an equal opportunity comedian - she bashes everyone, including rabbi and other Jews.

Let's not bring religion into this as it has nothing to do with it
Actually, I belive it has everything to do with it.  And I know that Jesus was a practicing Jew, and that the early Christians were called "Jews".  The idea wasn't to invent a new religion, but to make an old religion new.  (If that makes any sense).
I don't think that Jesus would advocate selling the church property off.  But I do agree that Silverman is an equal opportunity comedienne, one whose lack of sense of humour means that she must resort to shock to gain any attention.  Other than this bit, and the one about Matt Damon, for what is she known, exactly?

I see religion in many ways as being like football.

I fully believe that people should be free to do what they want when it comes to their Magic Dude(s) In The Sky, as long as it doesn't infringe on others or require others to pay for it.

So, here in Ottawa, there's a vocal group calling for the city to pay $100M for a refurbished stadium so we can have another failed CFL franchise.  I say if you want football, pay for it yourself, but don't exepct everyone else to pay for it through increased taxes to subsidize your stadium.

Similarly, if you wish to worship (insert deity's name here), fill your boots - just don't expect others to pay for it - that is, don't provide state sanction or funding, direct or indirect.  No tax write-offs for Vishnu, Mohammed or Jesus.  Bingo as a fundrasier?  Fine - but be sure to pay taxes on the revenue you generate.

(And as for Sarah's humour:  She's also the one who observed "I was beside Pamela Anderson in the bathroom, and I saw her natural hair color.  Pamela Anderson's natural hair color is bald.")

I guess if the Roman Catholic church has been encouraged to sell off the Vatican, then maybe the third largest moque should be sold off too.
thoughts?

I am RC "by default", but I do not hold that against anyone...  ;)

I think all religions are equal, in that they were all invented by humans in order to manipulate other humans; see here:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091018/sweat_lodge_091018/20091018?hub=World

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — An Arizona homicide investigation now includes three deaths after a woman died more than a week after participating in a sweat lodge ceremony that hospitalized nearly two dozen people.

Liz Neuman of Minnesota died Saturday at a Flagstaff hospital, Yavapai County sheriff's spokesman Dwight D'Evelyn said.

The 49-year-old suffered multiple organ damage during the Oct. 8 ceremony at a resort near Sedona, a resort town 185 kilometres north of Phoenix that draws many in the New Age spiritual movement.

As far as I know, all the people involved in this were christians... how did the organizers convince the participants that they coud fast for 36 hours, then pig-out in a buffet, and finally go into a sauna for 2 hours did not constitute a health hazard ??  ::) Were all these people that stupid ?

If anyone is doing an estimate on how to end world hunger, then selling the Vatican has to be one of the options...  8)

I don't see many people saying Disband United Way and Feed the world, however the CEO makes obscene amounts of money, and the group funds political parties and social change lobbyists that use all the funding they are granted from the united way (which was collected in good faith under the guise of charitable work) to further their unpopular political views by means of deception and propaganda, rarely helping and sometimes causing damage to our society.

Yes the Catholic Church is not very visible here in North America but it does billions a year in charitable work.

As for "Sell the Vatican, Feed the world" lets see who's feeding more people? Never mind that the world produces more food than can be eaten right now... it's a distribution and corrupt bureaucracies problem, not a quantity/money problem.

Religion or lack of it is personal private business and if you don't want any part of it BUTT OUT. That goes for everyone on both sides of the issue. I thing people shouldn’t talk about it unless asked and should respect the right for others to hold a different opinion.

Dataperson

Tax exemption doesn’t mean you have to pay for the tax exempt groups, it means that those who are tax exempt don’t have to pay the government anything just to exist. If the church doesn’t consume any government resources, what right does the Government have to tax them?

Bingo fundraisers aren’t to fund keggers, it’s usually to provide building upkeep which keeps your property value up. If it’s not for building up keep it’s a charitable works project.

The reason churches get charity tax exemption is because they are charities, just because you don't want to be a part of a particular charity doesn't mean it shouldn't be given tax exempt status.

I go to a church (very infrequently) that even though it needs almost a million in capital repairs (old stone building from the 1800s or earlier) is still providing a safe haven and hot lunch program for a school in the worst part of Saint John.

This school is where some misfit children get their last chance before the system gives up on them. Some of these children are too much burden for other schools, either behaviourally or because they have disabilities that make them difficult to accommodate. 
Providing a safe place free from persecution and a free hot meal (the only one some of these kids get each day), is reasonable cause to grant tax exemption.

The minute churches loose tax exemption status is the minute they all close, the property tax alone on the churches which are a part of our country's heritage would be too much for people to maintain as well as provide funds for charitable works abroad.

You’d have church members meeting in basements while the structures(that were put up board by board and paid for by previous generations of members of that church) sitting empty, demolished or sold off as commercial space. I feel that is pretty unfair and grounds to claim persecution.

Jungle,

All organizations are invented to manipulate other humans, hence the root word organize.

Manipulate in this context does not necessarily contain negative connotations, influence, advise and guide would also fit in there with very little change in meaning.

As far as I know, all the people involved in this were Christians
and as far as I know you don't have a mouth and speak through your butt... doesn't mean I'm right

The unfortunate people in the article sound more like scientologists to me, but I don't have any certainty.

Were all these people that stupid ?

the phenomenon where people will follow the orders of a confident leader with no fear is well documented as affecting people of all intelligence levels, which is why we need to make sure we teach individual thought rather than bandwagonism. this is a problem in all levels of our society starting at the lowest levels.

Jungle said:
If anyone is doing an estimate on how to end world hunger, then selling the Vatican has to be one of the options...
One of my COAs is to take Hollywood's top 40 actors' assets, liquidate them and send the money to Africa, no questions asked.  A branch plan is to take the top 40 earners in Music, Sports and television and do the same.

Putting a muzzle on a good number of Hollywoods top earners would go a long way to slowing down global warming as well.  Although the west coast might suffer some cooler temps without the constant release of all that hot air.

TechnoViking and Teflon......I couldn't agree more. Well said!

Let Bono and Geldhof do something other than blow hot air.....

You had to go and mention Bono didn't you, OldSoldier!, Now I have to go beat up a street person!

No don't beat up an innocent street person. Find a f*tard left winger....shouldn't be hard, any university has a few around.

Well it's kinda like whenever I hear Elizibeth May's voice I run my truck needlessly for 15min

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back