• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

second language exam

WO2 Gubbels

Inactive
Reaction score
  Hi all,

I was wondering, if you learn a second language (ie. french, spanish, russian, etc) is there an exam you can write so you can say that yes I am bilingual when you apply for a job.  I'm assuming there is, but couldn't locate what I was looking for on the internet.  If there is one, what is it called? Does the canadian goverment run the testing or is it third party?
            Thanks
  Gubb

For the federal government, the Public Service Commission provides testing in official languages.  You'll end up with a three letter profile, indicating your oral expression, written, and comprehension scores.

Scores can be:

Blank - no ability
A, B, or C - varying levels increasing from A to C.  These profiles are valid for five years after testing
E - exempt - once you have scored exempt, you need never be tested in that part of the exam again.

Certain positions are annotated with a "P" (in think that's the letter) indicating that a specific technical vocabulary is required.

Bilingual positions in the federal public service usually start at BBB; senior managers are usually expected to be CBC (the profile, not the broadcaster).  Full Colonels in the Regular Force are supposed to be CBC on promotion.

For other languages or employment outside the federal public service, I do not know what standard tests are in place.

Back