• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Search on for Missing Pilot

B

Bandit1

I'm going to post email updates as I receive them...if anyone is flying over the area, Godspeed and may your efforts be fruitful.

Bandit

Location of Missing Pilot Defied Searchers for Fourth Day

October 27, 2007

KAMLOOPS – Search efforts will continue today, day five, for a missing 61-year-old male who had been flying his Cessna 172 in the area on Tues, 23 Oct. Friday’s search did not turn up any clues to what may have happened to the pilot or his aircraft.

“We searched extensively yesterday, we covered about 10 thousand square kilometers in approximately one hundred and fifty flying hours. The weather is cooperating again today so we are planning to thoroughly investigate the rugged terrain of our search areas at low altitude,” said Capt. Brad White, searchmaster and a Buffalo navigator from 442 Squadron, 19 Wing Comox. “

A Buffalo aircraft and the Cormorant helicopter had been retasked at the end of their search yesterday by the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria for a Piper Malibu aircraft that had lost engine power. The two military aircrafts responded and were on scene shortly after the small aircraft crashed approximately 16 kilometers east of Invermere, B.C. Unfortunately, the three people on board did not survive the crash. The crews have returned to Kamloops to resume the search.

Today’s search is being conducted by the following Canadian Forces aircraft:

 one CC-115 Buffalo aircraft from 19 Wing Comox
 six CH-146 Griffon helicopters from CFB Edmonton, CFB Petawawa and 4 Wing Cold Lake;
 one CT-142 Dash-8 from 17 Wing Winnipeg, MB.

In addition, fourteen aircraft and twenty-five spotters from the Civil Air Search and Rescue Association (CASARA) are helping with the search.

If any member of the public saw a beige single-engined plane with red trim on Tuesday afternoon, especially in the following areas: Salmon Arm, Merritt, Cache Creek, Hope, Squamish, Whistler, or Lytton, are asked to call the sighting tips line at SHQ: 1-250-554-5962.

Note to editors: For further information on the major search, please contact the 19 Wing Public Affairs Officer, Capt. Cheryl Condly, at (250) 554-5960, pager (250) 703-7035.

For further information on the Piper crash, please contact the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria at 1-259-363-2995.

Zoomie, RiggerFE and I are on this one.  It is a busy time, long days. We hope for the best.

I'm actualy surprised i havent been sent on that too.....

I believe this is a related newpost

"Three people are dead after a small plane crash in British Columbia.

The plane went down just after 7 p.m. MT Friday, after the pilot reported he had lost engine power.

The Piper Malibou, a single engine aircraft, was en route from Salem, Oregon, to Springbank, Alta., just outside Calgary.

Search and Rescue officials said the pilot tried to glide to Fairmont, B.C., but altered course to nearby Invermere. Then they lost contact with the plane.

Satellite systems pinpointed the crash site in a mountain valley.

Captain Aaron Twa, with B.C.'s Rescue Co-ordination Centre, said a Search and Rescue Cormorant helicopter arrived on the scene within 90 minutes.

Three rescue experts were hoisted down into the valley where the Piper was spotted.

"It is a valley adjacent to the Columbia River Valley so it's a relatively mountainous terrain with mountains into the 8,000 to 9,000 foot range," Twa said.

The three passengers aboard were all found dead.

Their names and hometowns are not yet being released.

Twa said the helicopter was already in the B.C. interior looking for another plane that's been missing since Tuesday.

The 61-year-old pilot of a Cessna 172 was on his way from the interior to Vancouver Island when his plane went down.

Gonzo is providing an excellent service as OSCAR - cost benefit-wise, it is much cheaper to run a Dash-8 than a CP-140 and still accomplish the same job.

We are into day 4 of searching - 10 thousand square kilometers searched, lots more to go.

Hopefully the weather holds and we can put this one to bed. It's a great effort by all involved. The CP 140 would be great here with it's EROR gear, especially in the early stages  of the search with its FLIR capabilities. BZ to the other Buff crew who responded to the Invermere crash after a full day of searching (17.5 hr crew day).

Rescue

Keep up the great work guys, it's amazing the long hauls that you guys put in to try to bring someone back to the family that misses them.

Let's all hope that this one ends with a happy story of success, and that the national media can show just how effective our SAR Teams are when it comes to the vital roles that they play in the mountains...

Bandit

is SAR looking for the pilot? because by the sounds of the newsposts ive read it makes it seem that everyone aboard was found dead, including the pilot

The incident you're refering to is a separate one.  Here's the latest press release from 19 Wing regarding assets being used and an update.

Bandit

Search for Ron Boychuk Continues

KAMLOOPS – Aircrews will continue to search for Mr. Ron Boychuk and his aircraft, a beige Cessna 172 with red trim, missing since Tuesday afternoon. The aircraft’s registration number is C-FMXV.

“After five days of considerable search effort, we were able to cover much of the search area at a higher altitude. As the search evolves, we are concentrating our efforts in the most probable locations and at this stage we are searching more intensively at lower altitudes, aircraft will fly down to 500 feet above ground level,” said Capt. Brad White, Searchmaster. “Pilots and spotters from the Civil Aviation Search and Rescue Association (CASARA) are crucial during those low flying operations because they bring a local knowledge of the area.”

A group comprised of 47 volunteers of the Ground Search and Rescue from the central region of British-Colombia is also participating in the search effort this weekend. They are traveling on the logging roads using 4x4 vehicles to investigate select areas.

Today’s search is being conducted by the following Canadian Forces aircraft:

• two CC-115 Buffalo aircraft from 19 Wing Comox;
• one CH-149 Cormorant helicopter from 19 Wing Comox;
• four CH-146 Griffon helicopters from 4 Wing Cold Lake, CFB Edmonton, and CFB Petawawa;
• one CT-142 Dash-8 from 17 Wing Winnipeg; and
• one CC-138 Twin Otter from 440 Squadron Yellowknife.

In addition, twelve aircrafts and twenty-six spotters from the CASARA are helping with the search.

Sightings can be called into the tips line at the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (Victoria) at 1-800-567-5111 or the Search Headquarters (Kamloops): 1-250-554-5962, collect calls are accepted.

-30-

Note to editors: For further information on the major search, please contact the 19 Wing Public Affairs Officer, Capt. Cheryl Condly or 2Lt Alexandre Cadieux, at (250) 554-5960, pager (250) 703-7035.

so judging from the original post, two cessna 172's both with 61 year old pilots crashed in BC?

JBoyd said:
so judging from the original post, two cessna 172's both with 61 year old pilots crashed in BC?

NO

1 Cessna 172

1 Piper Malibu

AH ok i totally misread the last two lines of the news post i posted lol sorry

Outstanding work.
Keep it up guys.

I know the days must be long and tough - but it's an awesome service you guys are providing.
If I was ever in need I know I'd be glad knowing that folks like you are busting your asses to come and get me.

Keep it up.

Unbelievable!  Launched and finished on a third crash.  Wait for news reports out now. The boys and girls worked very hard today. We had a tremendous amount of assets out and we still hope for the best for the original SAR mission.

Courtesy of the Canadian Press - man, you guys and gals really do get around, and I'm amazed at just how much effort you put into every aspect of your job.  Good on ya for finding this site and doing an evac under what looks like some challenging conditions.  My hat is off to you!  :salute:

Plane crashes near Golden, B.C., 1 person in hospital

One person was taken to hospital after a plane carrying three people crashed Sunday near Golden, B.C.

Capt. Joe Palfy with Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria said an overdue Cessna 172 that left Golden for Edmonton on Sunday afternoon sent an emergency location transmission. Golden is more than 400 kilometres east of Vancouver.

Bad weather at first hampered efforts to locate the aircraft, but a rescue crew was eventually sent in by helicopter.

When the aircraft was located, one person was sent to hospital, while the condition of the other two people on the plane is not yet known.

"We've had very poor communications [with the rescue team], so we don't know the outcome of the other people," Palfy said.

No names have been released and the cause of the crash isn't known.

I was just watching CTV News and they had great coverage of all the ops that you gents have been out on over the last few days.  I only wish that this much coverage could be given to you guys and gals on a more regular basis.

How about it Mr. Akin?

Bandit

Busy times in central BC.  Staying in Cranbrook tonight with the crew of Rescue 456.  RiggerFE and I spent a long and tiring day today searching the morning for the missing aircraft and then heading out to the Golden area for the latest crashed plane.

Kudos to Eurowing and his servicing crew for getting 456 turned and ready to launch with very short notice after lunch.  The plane was running before the rest of the crew hit the flight line.

Unfortunately - we have yet to see any of the news coverage, as we are living it day-to-day in hotel rooms and getting into them late at night and leaving early the next morning.  I still don't know what Kamloops looks like in daylight.

456 crew was very happy to hear that the toddler survived the latest crash.

More details to follow once they have been released by our PAO.

The link to the Golden incident and accompanying video can be found here.

The link to the segment on the Piper Malibu incident can be found here.

I'm still searching for the clip that I mentioned above, and when i find it, I'll be sure to post it.

Cheers, and thanks to you all for all that you do.

Bandit

Back