• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seafood

RorerQuaalude

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good place to get seafood in the Gagetown area? Myself being landlocked, a trip out East seems like a really good chance (granted it'll have to be in my off time) to get quality goods (i.e. lobster rolls, lobster stew, fried clams, etc) .

Pretty slim pickings from what I've seen for a supposed maritime province.

Buying lobster off the wharf up north.

The place in the St. John City Market is supposed to be great, I would rate it as ok.

Otherwise every place serves bog standard clam strips, scallops, mussels, etc.  Nothing special.

Live or Cooked Lobster
Peters Lobster Pound
506-458-9488
230 Main Street,
Fredericton, NB E3A 1C9

The Lobster Barn
506-459-0093
143 Gibson Street,
Fredericton, NB E3A 4E1

A fabulous Restaurant
The Lobster Hut
506-454-7376
1216 Regent Street,
Fredericton, NB E3B 3Z4

Gunner98 said:
A fabulous Restaurant
The Lobster Hut
506-454-7376
1216 Regent Street,
Fredericton, NB E3B 3Z4

I have to disagree with the last one.  My wife and I have been to the Lobster Hut twice since we've been here.  Both times the service was terrible.  Waiting up to 20 minutes for someone to come by with a menu, then when you ask about items on the menu, the waitress doesn't know what it is.  They go off to the kitchen and it takes them 10 minutes to get back to you with a reply.  This was the second time we were there, we had decided to give the place the another chance after a simiiliar experience the first time.  So after being seated for 30 minutes without even being able to order a drink we just left.  The first time we had carried on and ordered and found food was average, around the same as Red Lobster (of which there are none in NB).
I have no idea how that place got anysort of good reputation.  The outside looks like a garbage tip, and the service is terrible, the food mediocre.

A story about Peters.  The service is good but it is pricey.  We bought a couple of live lobsters from them to carry out to Alberta.  Passing through Halifax Airport later the same day we saw live lobster for sale, cheaper...  Since when is anything in an airport cheaper  :(

I'll have to check out The Lobster Barn.  :D

Just a heads up

Being from PEI I was talking to members of my family tonight and they are telling me that you can buy lobster and other seafood cheap from vender's right on the wharf in certain fishing communities. Lobster is going for about 3.50$ a pound and these wharfs would be about 20 minutes from the bridge so if you were in Gagetown, the drive to PEI ( 2hrs ) would be worth it if you really want good seafood. Mussels go for 80 cents a pound right now.

Perry said:
Being from PEI I was talking to members of my family tonight and they are telling me that you can buy lobster and other seafood cheap from vender's right on the wharf in certain fishing communities. Lobster is going for about 3.50$ a pound and these wharfs would be about 20 minutes from the bridge so if you were in Gagetown, the drive to PEI ( 2hrs ) would be worth it if you really want good seafood. Mussels go for 80 cents a pound right now.

Years ago, while in C Sqn, we went up to PEI's Stanhope Beach for our annual "May Run".  I took my van as 'Recovery" in case one of the Bikes broke down.  Of course we loaded up with lobster, as Perry suggested, and headed back to Gagetown at the end of the long weekend.  Even with having to put Ned Harju and his bike in the back of the Van for half of the trip, the smell of lobster permiated the bareassed van and remained in there for at least three weeks.  Be forewarned.

Mcdonald's in the Maritimes, usually has Lobster Sandwiches as part of their Summer Promos.  Not too bad, for Mcdonalds food.

If you head up to PEI, there is also a marvelous Lobster Restaurant, (Forget its' name) in Shediac.  You can't miss it, as it is right beside a large Water Tower with a giant lobster painted on it, and easily visible from the highway.

Any Church Hall in PEI that has Lobster Suppers is also a safe bet.  There are too many to name.

George Wallace said:
Even with having to put Ned Harju and his bike in the back of the Van for half of the trip, the smell of lobster permiated the bareassed van and remained in there for at least three weeks.   Be forewarned.

The smell !! While I was stationed in Comox, the guys in VU33 picked up some live lobster on one of their trips in a Tracker. One of the little buggers got loose and, unbeknownst to anyone, crawled down into the radome. After a few days it was apparent the whole shipment was not offloaded. It took us a few days to find the corpse and weeks to get rid of the smell. ;D

Quote,

...this reminds me though of a story, I was at the butcher shop in Oromocto[ 1987 mind you] and the guy standing beside me was pissed. He just brought back a load of salmon for himself, that he bought of a wharf in BC while driving his semi.
Well the price of fresh pacific salmon was less per pound in a butcher shop in N.B. than he paid off the wharf and carted in coolers across the country,......said it looked a lot fresher too.

Back