• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

Get Nautical said:
Already have the following necessary ticks in the box to go to sea as a deckhand on a civilian vessel or Coastguard ship
- CDN (Candidate Document Number) (essentially a civi version of your military service number)
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Seafarers Discharge Book
- Valid Passport
- Criminal Record Check
- Marine Basic First Aid
- STCW 6.1 Basic Safety
- STCW 6.2 Proficiency in Survival Craft Other Than Fast Rescue Boat
(STCW is the new training standard of the old MED courses for work internationally)
- Vessel Personel With Security Responsibilities
- Fall Protection / Fall Arrest
- Confined Space Awareness (minimum) better to have Confined Space Entry / Monitor
- Enform H2S Alive (a good to have depending on where you go)
Went to NSCC for Bridge Watch Rating Program which gave me most of the courses above except H2S Alive. Transport Canada requires 60 days of sea time if you go to school for Bridge Watch Rating or 6 months of documented sea time and challenge the Bridge Watch Rating 100 question multiple choice test. A few details I left out but my question is below.

Who could I talk to at DND about finding out if they did or could do a SSI calculation on me for the 4 years out of 5 I was in, posted to ship.

Sorry, misunderstood what you meant by "for my discharge book".

Side note, if you haven't paid for a H2S alive course, the only place it's required is the oil industry, supply boats and may be tankers are the only place you'd need it.

If you're planning on applying for a job at the coast guard, it's a waste of $200 and a day of your time.

Anyway,  back to the SSI talk.

They are tracked in Monitor Mass but don't show up on your MPRR; not sure what database it's on (something in HRMS?)

Aside from the overall count, if you had minimum sea day requirements during various OJPRs you might be able to use those as well for a minimum, (if you kept the OJPRs with the signatures).

Have you talked to your nearest transport Canada office and asked what they'd accept as documentation?

If you have an MPRR that shows you were posted to ship for several years, that may be sufficient (No guarantees, but it couldn't hurt to ask)

Individual assessors have a surprising amount of freedom and autonomy when assessing things like this.

Has to specify days at sea and not in port, will probably need a letter or some such. I have a work term lined up to get the required days but in any case I'm hoping the answer will help someone else transitioning to civilian life.

Back