• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

Happy Guy said:
We need a patch or a badge or a ribbon on our uniform to say how well we did on our Force Test.

No problem.

CFT-awards.jpg

Navy_Pete said:
Those are a really poor rip off on the 'Participaction' logo.

Good grief. :facepalm:
Those were a version of the Canada Fitness Award Program badges that existed between 1970 and 1990.  I think the Army Cadets still wear a variation of this that could easily be co-opted for use on DEU.

Some more pictures of both award program badges:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Canada+Fitness+Award+Program&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=inmv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3tLPjwJ7WAhUY8WMKHYwHBVIQ_AUIESgB&biw=320&bih=460

https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&hl=en-ca&biw=320&bih=460&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=4Dm3WbHvGo-qjwOcp7DwDQ&q=army+cadet+Fitness+badge&oq=army+cadet+Fitness+badge&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3...13376.16760.0.17852.12.12.0.0.0.0.224.1721.1j10j1.12.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-img..0.8.1107...41j30i10k1j0i24k1.LvhtgaGEWXw

Eye In The Sky said:
There are some crew patches that have been "procured" or so I've heard.  I personally say this is unconfirmed RUMINT because NO ONE would wear a patch that wasn't blessed by the Boss.  No one! 

* Especially, a patch would NOT be worn by a crew with a RAAF skipper.    :whistle:

I just about died when I read the one on the right. That's hilarious.

A few years back I had a patch made up reading "f*** it, we'll do it live" in response to a couple of less than ideally run exercises. I still have it kicking around somewhere.

Brihard said:
I just about died when I read the one on the right. That's hilarious.

A few years back I had a patch made up reading "f*** it, we'll do it live" in response to a couple of less than ideally run exercises. I still have it kicking around somewhere.

Ya the goat one was a gooder.  Better for morale than the ATF-I patch we were supposed to wear but couldn't get (all the HQ wankers had them on their CADPAT though).

Did you get to wear it on ex?  That's rich.

Halifax Tar said:
I hear you Pusser.  The sea has its dangers and complexities.  So does Army and Air Force trg.  And having done both I defiantly felt/feel more at risk in Army trg.  Live ammo and poor driving conditions are dangerous things.

Yes, Army and Air Force training have their dangers and complexities (never said they didn't), but the key difference is that Army and Air Force commanders have much more ability to reduce the danger under most circumstances.  A commander can suspend the use of live ammo, prevent people from dangerous driving conditions or ground aircraft if necessary (doesn't mean he will, but he can).  The dangers of the sea can be unpredictable.  Weather forecasting is not 100% and even if you know it's coming, you can't always avoid or outrun the storm.  Even the coxswain can't stop a hurricane.

Then, there's the Kracken rising from the depths...

Pusser said:
The dangers of the sea can be unpredictable.  Weather forecasting is not 100% and even if you know it's coming, you can't always avoid or outrun the storm.  Even the coxswain can't stop a hurricane.

As a sea kayaker on the left coast, nervously venturing off shore on regular occasions, I totally get that...

Especially the Kracken thing (or a humpback whale)

Pusser said:
Yes, Army and Air Force training have their dangers and complexities (never said they didn't), but the key difference is that Army and Air Force commanders have much more ability to reduce the danger under most circumstances.  A commander can suspend the use of live ammo, prevent people from dangerous driving conditions or ground aircraft if necessary (doesn't mean he will, but he can).  The dangers of the sea can be unpredictable.  Weather forecasting is not 100% and even if you know it's coming, you can't always avoid or outrun the storm.  Even the coxswain can't stop a hurricane.

You're using a red herring argument. If sailing was as dangerous as you say, the CAF would be giving you Risk Allowance on top on SDA. Clearance Divers and Submariners get extra pay because of the risks involved. In fact, sailors are the only ones other than CANSOF (after a quick look through CBI205), that retains their environmental allowance while deployed in an area that gets Hardship and Risk.

PuckChaser said:
In fact, sailors are the only ones other than CANSOF (after a quick look through CBI205), that retains their environmental allowance while deployed in an area that gets Hardship and Risk.

Aircrew also get to keep their allowance (which is lower than land/sea duty allowance).

I have had more "oh shit" moments with the RCAF, than I ever did with the Navy (surface and subsurface). 

DH beat me to it...

Actually, I keep my AIRCRA too if I am in a designated flying position.  Why would I loose that for flying in a less secure airspace like Syria?  Using IMPACT as an example, I got the same RA as those who are Under The Dome.  Flying over 100hrs/month my AIRCRA would equal about 3 bucks an hour.  In Iraq and Syria. Over ISIS.  $3/hr. It ain't all that great for the difference in actual RISK when compared to the risk any Domer faced.  We earn every tax-free penny of it over there. 

PuckChaser said:
You're using a red herring argument. If sailing was as dangerous as you say, the CAF would be giving you Risk Allowance on top on SDA. Clearance Divers and Submariners get extra pay because of the risks involved. In fact, sailors are the only ones other than CANSOF (after a quick look through CBI205), that retains their environmental allowance while deployed in an area that gets Hardship and Risk.

I can assure you we do not receive SDA while deployed in areas that get hardship, risk and FSP.  We do accumulate points, like the Army, but we not receive the prescribed monetary sums. 

Agreed.
Halifax Tar said:
I can assure you we do not receive SDA while deployed in areas that get hardship, risk and FSP.  We do accumulate points, like the Army, but we not receive the prescribed monetary sums. 

Halifax Tar said:
Can confirm.  SDA ceased while on deployment as soon as FSP started.

As an aside, all of my near miss and other bad experiences came during trials and other lower readiness times.  The pre deployment work period is the only time you ever get enough priority to get all your stuff fixed and repairs/maintenance done.  Otherwise you're at the bare minimum with hand me downs and duct tape and finding stuff like check valves installed backwards, motors wired across phases, etc on first start up post refits.  TRPs are exciting times! Unless we're at war, we're more at risk from our own stuff failing catastrophically.  I was more relaxed bobbing off Syria than when we were sailing off Halifax during trials because I trusted our equipment was all working after five months of deployment and constant maintenance.

I'm completely indifferent to the SSI though; it can be useful to figure out what kind of person you are dealing with though. People that use it as a dick measuring contest generally aren't worth listening to, so I use mine as an arsehole detector.  ;D

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I have had more "oh shit" moments with the RCAF, than I ever did with the Navy (surface and subsurface).

Well, of course.  More pilots around.

:p

Hey got out in 2011, never recieved a SSI and I don't even know if I'm eligible for one but who can I talk to about finding out how many days at sea I have, so I can send something to Transport Canada as proof for my Seafarers Discharge Book (being a civilian deckhand / Coastguard etc.) need proof of min 60 days at sea.

All you need is a letter from a current or potential employer stating you need a discharge book and they'll give you one and a CDN number.

I had 0 sea days when I got one.

Even just proof you're registered for a tc approved course would probably suffice as you need a CDN for the certificate.

Already have the following necessary ticks in the box to go to sea as a deckhand on a civilian vessel or Coastguard ship
- CDN (Candidate Document Number) (essentially a civi version of your military service number)
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Seafarers Discharge Book
- Valid Passport
- Criminal Record Check
- Marine Basic First Aid
- STCW 6.1 Basic Safety
- STCW 6.2 Proficiency in Survival Craft Other Than Fast Rescue Boat
(STCW is the new training standard of the old MED courses for work internationally)
- Vessel Personel With Security Responsibilities
- Fall Protection / Fall Arrest
- Confined Space Awareness (minimum) better to have Confined Space Entry / Monitor
- Enform H2S Alive (a good to have depending on where you go)
Went to NSCC for Bridge Watch Rating Program which gave me most of the courses above except H2S Alive. Transport Canada requires 60 days of sea time if you go to school for Bridge Watch Rating or 6 months of documented sea time and challenge the Bridge Watch Rating 100 question multiple choice test. A few details I left out but my question is below.

Who could I talk to at DND about finding out if they did or could do a SSI calculation on me for the 4 years out of 5 I was in, posted to ship.

Back