• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Scotch

I would think oak barrels, etc. were around long before people started chasing turkey's at Plymouth rock......

BulletMagnet said:
Reading this thread has made it official..... There is no way I could take a commission, me and my JD just aren't classy enough for the mess  ;)

And you think the Warrant Officer's and Sergeants Mess is less classy?  8)

At last.  A thread of refinement, culture, taste and class.  Has anyone tried the Glen Breton products from Cape Breton? 

G2G, when I was in South Africa I had the opportunity to have a glass of JW Blue.  I found it to be so polished that it was really bland and boring.  A double was about $ 14 Cdn, so I took the plunge.  I believe I'll give it a miss in future my palate's not refined enough to appreciate it.  I'm ashamed to say I am more of a blended pig.

jollyjacktar said:
At last.  A thread of refinement, culture, taste and class.  Has anyone tried the Glen Breton products from Cape Breton? 

Love the the Glen Breton whiskey!!

I had a chance years ago to get it as a duty free at $42., but, the Teachers 40lb was only $18.  Economics and greed won the day.  :facepalm:  You're the first person I have heard from that has tried it.  Thanks for the comment.

I've never bought it for myself either. Usually I wind up buying one of the more conventional single malts.

My boss ( civvy side)usually has a bottle at his place, and I tend to get him to pour it, whenever I'm there.

Hard to describe, but it's not anywhere near as "peaty". It's almost like a cross between a nice single malt highland, and an Irish like Bushmills.

Glen Breton is a nice, mild Scotch, a little less distinctive than many single malts from Scotland.  For those who want a slighly sweeter scotch without the peatyness of many single malts, I'd recommend Highland Park, from the Orkneys. 

I've heard good things about Glen Breton and as I'll be down that way later this week, hope to find out for myself. As for the OP I like the sampler packs Idea you listed. I know that's what I'd  like to find under the tree.  8)

jollyjacktar said:

G2G, when I was in South Africa I had the opportunity to have a glass of JW Blue.  I found it to be so polished that it was really bland and boring.  A double was about $ 14 Cdn, so I took the plunge.  I believe I'll give it a miss in future my palate's not refined enough to appreciate it.  I'm ashamed to say I am more of a blended pig.

JJT, I only got the Blue because I was visiting a Canadian Embassy that had a great deal through its commissary...$60US.  :nod:  You're right, it's very smooth...too smooth, really.  I do like the variety of the flavours of the singles from the various regions.

Slainte mhathe!
G2G

GAP said:
I would think oak barrels, etc. were around long before people started chasing turkey's at Plymouth rock......

That was true 300 years ago, but when you cut down all of your forests to run the industrial revolution it does make it difficult to find good barrel wood. Most barrels used by Scottish distilleries today come from the US whiskey producers after one or two runs.

I had a chance to sample Glen Breton here in Halifax at the Seaport Farmers Market. I thought it had a "nice" flavour, and tried not to be an "imported single malt snob". Don't know that I'd invest in a bottle, but I rather liked it.

Hawk

BulletMagnet said:
Reading this thread has made it official..... There is no way I could take a commission, me and my JD just aren't classy enough for the mess  ;)

When I started my 'drinking career' many moons ago (with you, in fact :salute:) I had to mix it with coke. I found it pretty harsh otherwise, and went years without drinking it at all.

I started drinking whiskey to the point where I could develop some sense of taste for it awhile later. Funnily enough a few years ago at a certain Christmas party you and I used to attend I decided to help myself to a mutual friends bottle of JD. I don't drink pop and didn't want to mix it so I just drank it neat. It's actually got a a pretty decent taste if you take the time to let the flavours develop. I'm a fan of Islays, so there you go. It's got a nice caramel note to it if you let it develop, which I prefer more than Highland/Speyside whiskeys.

I've tried Glen Breton before. Some mates threw down on a bottle for my birthday years ago. A decent dram, but not worth it at its current price point. Fantastic that it's made just down the way...I'd happy consume a few bottles a year if it was 40 bucks a pop. At 85 bucks? Not so much.

Given the list the OP noted, my money would be on the Bowmore or the Laphroaig. Personal preference though.

Highland Park 18 is quite nice as well, within your price range, and it isn't that hard to get.

Glenfiddich 12-year old; three, maybe four bottles a year.  It's a treat I can afford.  :D

recceguy said:
Like a good Irish Single Malt ;)

The only man that has made any sense in this thread!!  I am a huge fan of Bushmills, and the Irish literally invented the Whiskey!!!  Tripled distilling allows for the sweetest, and smoothest taste....

My Mother in Law just brought back an Irish Whiskey, Tyrconnell which was superb!

As for Scottish Whiskeys, my favourite is Glenrothes, and Dalmore.  Any style, vintage, or new blend, these two houses of Scotch nail it for a Whiskey.  Blended, well, Glendfidich has cornered the market, and I love their Solaris line.

The Japanese, have a long, and historical tradition of making Whiskey, so I would advise venturing in any blend made by them.

Canada, in my opinion, is the country that will burst on the scene.  Many micro distilleries out there, that are just coming on their own.  I would suggest Proof Whisky.  They play on the whole, mom and pop backyard hootch, right down to their bottle.  But believe you, me, this is a nice Whiskey Whisky, to have on hand.

Then we come to America.....Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Jim Bean...Love them all.  However, there are many micro distilleries making some fine Corn Hootch, I would advise exploring!

Either or, it is expensive, but, over the years a truly satisfying hobby!

dileas

tess

I ended up buying the gift set that has the Oban 14, Glenkinchie 12, and Dalwhinnie 15. For anyone still interested, however, I found this map to help find similar flavours.

je suis prest said:
Glen Breton is a nice, mild Scotch, a little less distinctive than many single malts from Scotland.  For those who want a slighly sweeter scotch without the peatyness of many single malts, I'd recommend Highland Park, from the Orkneys.

We ended up getting a single-cask bottling of 21-year old Highland Park for the regiment's centennial last year. Got half a bottle left...knew I should have bought two.

I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig at Hong Kong Duty Free on impulse last winter and my only regret is won't be passing through there anytime soon , and the price in the LCBO is a wee bit steep for this oatmeal savage.  8)

I'm not a fan of Glen Breton's drink but I am a fan of the distillery for winning the Battle of the Glens.

Seriosuly, you have to do what you can to try Cameron Brig. It's truly special. And not in that Journeyman way ;D

CanadianTire said:
We ended up getting a single-cask bottling of 21-year old Highland Park for the regiment's centennial last year. Got half a bottle left...knew I should have bought two.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to have Dalmore as the Regimental Whisky of the Seaforth?

Dalmore is a staple whiskey in the Sgt's Mess. The othere was a special run for the centennial

Back