• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Schedule day of and day after basic graduation

casing

Inactive
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a run-down of what sort of schedule we'll have upon graduation from BOTP?  Here's the situation: Assuming all goes well in IAP/BOTP, I am slated to graduate on December 17th.  Now, this date just happens to be my wedding anniversary. 

So, I have a few questions that I think the answers will be beneficial to many:

1. What can I expect on this date?  I'm assuming that there is the graduation parade, followed by a dinner? 
2. If so, are guests (my wife) at the parade permitted to attend the dinner? 
3. What are my guests supposed to do for accomodations?  I assume she will need to get a hotel room somewhere? 
4. Will I be able to spend the night with her or am I expected to remain in my quarters? 
5. How long after graduation are we expected to stay in quarters?  Can we clear out immediately, on leave?

Thanks!  :salute:

Well, it's been 5 years since I graduated BOTC, but here it goes....

1. Pretty standard day until the parade, my parents came for the parade, they just went to the drill hall on their own, I had dinner with them the night before and they stayed in a hotel. I think you can get a room in the Mega for your lady, just check with accommodations. Once we were dismissed, we were free to do whatever, welcome to officer-land!
2. The dinner was course only, and we had ours a few days before the family showed up followed by copious amounts of barley sandwiches.
3. Hotel or again check with accommodations, my BOTC was in the summer along with 400 charm school kids, so I didn't even bother looking into a room in the Mega for my parents.
4. As far as I know, you'll be starting SLT on the Mon following grad, and you can do what you want provided you're sitting in CFLS Mon morn.
5. If you're getting an apartment, you should be able to clear out immediately though no body works on weekends so you won't be able to clear out with the OR until Mon morn, plus I think you need to submit a memo requesting permission to get the h*ll out of Dodge to go live with your woman. You could probably start the process during BOTC, just ask your DS.

Cheers

I graduated from BOTC this past December.   Keep in mind that things may change depending on your instructors and whatnot, but here are the answers to your questions.

1.   Our parade was at 10am or so.   I met up with my family afterwards at the luncheon in the Officer's Mess.   After a few drinks and snacks, some goodbyes, and a few more drinks, everyone was free to go (it'll be a really odd feeling ... trust me :)).   The previous night, we were allowed to leave the Mega for dinner with our family if we submitted a leave pass.   They also permitted us to spend the night off-base and be back for 7am the morning of the parade.   That same morning, we moved all our kit to our new rooms for SLT.

2.   As Inch said, the dinner was a few days prior.   It was a Mess Dinner for everyone on the course.   It was quite a lot of fun.   I don't think everyone gets to do this though.   As an aside, bring a white dress shirt with you if you have one (otherwise you'll have to buy the crappy one at the Canex).

3.   Some people stayed in motels near the base, other people got quarters on base for their family.   I chose to put my parents up in a hotel in Montreal.   It's only 30min away, and you'll learn very quickly that St Jean doesn't have much to offer :)

4.   As I mentioned earlier, we were allowed to spend the night before the parade with our families, but this might have been an exception rather than the rule.

5.   Considering your parade is on the 17th, which as far as I know is the last working day before Christmas, I'd expect that you'd be allowed to leave immediately after the parade.   Our parade was on Dec 11th, and we were allowed to leave that afternoon.   All we had to do in the afternoon was hand in our meal cards I think.   If you were planning on living off-base during SLT, you'll probably want to make arrangements with the school beforehand, since they'd be expecting you to stay on base.   I'm sure you'll figure that one out though.

Good luck :)

Back