• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Scarborough Shootings

Rosie Dimanno‘s column on this has some disturbing, subtle undertones ... (i.e. she‘s beating around the bush, perhaps even making inappropriate allegations about police interest or enthusiasm ...)

Whatever your thoughts on this - please, just remember to keep your remarks civil.

Mar. 8, 2004. 06:34 AM
Murder season ‘rips out our hearts‘
ROSIE DIMANNO (from Toronto Star)

Another dazed black mother, emotionally eviscerated, her eyes clouded with incomprehension, probably medicated to numb the pain. But the pain will be there still, the lifelong void, when the narcotic wears off.

"My baby come home?"

Cheryll Piper asked the poignant question yesterday, at police headquarters, asked it of her sister and other relatives who wrapped her in a shuddering embrace, shoulders heaving with sobs.

"You bring my baby home, okay? We take my baby home now?"

This distraught mother‘s baby is, was, 22-year-old Jayvien Piper, himself the father of a baby girl.

Toronto homicide victim No.12 in 2004. Shot in the head after leaving a parenting class on Wednesday night, chased down by an assailant riding shotgun in a dark green Honda Civic, chased like a dog on McCowan Rd. in Scarborough. One driver, one shooter, one executed victim sprawled on the pavement.

His aunt, Sharon Piper, speaking for the family: "Our family will never be the same. Our hearts have been ripped out."

The appeal that followed sounding all too familiar in this season of murder. "My nephew didn‘t deserve to be run down and shot to death. Everyone has to pay attention, everyone. Somebody has to know something.

"Jayvien was all alone, running for his life.

"We cannot protect these people. We cannot. They create so much destruction. This can‘t happen to anyone else.

"No one is safe. This has to stop. We cannot allow these people to take over our streets."

But it will happen again, as it has happened repeatedly, now predictably, in recent weeks, the murders occurring more latterly in clusters, two shootings here on this night, three shooting there on another night.

"They" have already taken over the streets, certainly in a handful of benighted neighbourhoods, where killers stalk their prey brazenly, no tremor of fear in their trigger fingers, not an ounce of pity or mercy, undaunted by gangland police squads and politically formulated task forces skewed towards the "root causes" of gun crime.

They must be laughing at us, these amoral killers. Laughing at the grieving mothers who hold up pictures of their murdered sons, begging: "For the love of God, put the guns down." Laughing at the cops, who‘ve made arrests in only one of a dozen homicides this year, as they, too, plead for assistance, for information. Laughing at the preachers and the community leaders and the politicians and the courts, a city reeling from all this bloodshed but unable, apparently, to do a **** thing about it except pick up the bodies. After years of pretending we didn‘t have a problem, treating gun crimes as isolated anomalies, blood-splattered reality has overtaken our whistle-past-the-graveyard posturing.

I have in front of me 12 photos, the gallery of victims: Henry Durost, Seyed Soroush Yadollahi, Simeon Peter, Maysam Sharifi, Omar Kente Hortley, Elliott Reid-Thomas, Suzette Augustin, Eion Rush, Paulson Chellakudam, Brenton Charlton, Patrick "Dalton" Pitters and Jayvien Piper, who lingered on life support for two days until his family made the anguishing decision to pull the plug.

An even dozen, all murdered in Toronto over the past 67 days, although the early edition of this paper went to bed last night before the clock struck a new a.m., which might have been time enough to knock off another homicide for ‘04, the year of the gun.

Not included on this list of corpses is the 22-year-old who came this close to making the cut yesterday morning, shot three times while on his way to visit a friend, attacked by a group of guys on the fourth floor of an apartment building at Islington and Rexdale. A shot to the head, among the other bullet perforations, a hair‘s breadth from rendering him an unlucky No.13 on the local hit list. Wrong place, wrong time, say the cops, parroting themselves from earlier shootings, this victim allegedly not knowing his attackers, no motive for the attack, no leads on suspects. Ditto ... ditto ... ditto ...

Twelve homicide victims and precisely one "solved" case. That would be for the murder of Henry Durost. Dr. Henry Durost, victim No. 1 on the calendar, and â ” not that it‘s significant or anything, oh no â ” but the only lily-white Caucasian among the bunch. Solved, presumably, because the leads were promising and not because Dr. Durost‘s life had more value than the others. I am most adamantly not making this suggestion, because I do not believe that race is a factor in police investigations. But **** sure it‘s a factor in who‘s doing the killing and who‘s doing the dying.

And it does seem a bit much that a handful of poisoned dogs â ” one dead canine in the litter â ” at Withrow Park would elicit more indignation, more community meetings (from a comfortably middle-class community), and a more prompt response from all manner of cops and city officials than the accumulation of murder victims. The litany of homicides only belatedly drew the attention of Toronto‘s new mayor, pushed as he was to address escalating gun crime in the city, where he had previously been more preoccupied with the TTC and a municipal budget deficit and a "new deal" for cities and, oh yeah, killing the proposed bridge to the island. (Really, I cannot think of a more narrowly relevant issue than that bridge. But some constituencies, well, they scan better with politicians.)

The police department tries to defend its own staggering budget to an unsympathetic audience at city council, where the prevailing view is that too much money has been endlessly fed into the policing maw in Toronto. But at one community meeting last week, in one crime-afflicted neighbourhood, residents were beseeching cops and politicians to give them more police officers, clamouring for a greater police presence on the streets, resurrecting the call for civilian policing, a concept that found great favour only a few years ago, when it was trendy and dear to the then-activist police services board. Although, truth to tell, it‘s unlikely that community policing â ” the old-fashioned cop on the beat â ” could be effectively applied in sprawling suburbia.

And what do our politicians offer these hurting, besieged communities? The Premier tells people not to panic, not to overreact, not to become "gripped by crime," prisoners in their neighbourhoods. Easy for him to say. The mayor, meanwhile, he‘s blamed street crime, in part, on the "legacy" of cuts to social programs, that had apparently "diverted" individuals from crime before those dastardly Tories at Queen‘s Park brought ruination on our heads. This is as facile an excuse as Mayor David Miller‘s other observation last week â ” that American society is to blame, whence the importation of guns.

Gang-bangers don‘t take to the gun because they‘ve been deprived of a basketball court or after-school program, because they‘ve been intolerably marginalized by society, or because "root causes" have left them predisposed to violent crime.

They strut and kill because they ascribe to a culture that mythologizes the gang ethos, that promotes street punishment for street crime, that holds forth the allure of easy riches and a testosterone-based swagger.

Little big men with big guns, making the city cower. They discovered a city they could tyrannize, a flailing police presence they could ignore, a justice system they could manipulate, and a society on which they could superimpose their own perverse criminal constitution.

What need they fear from us now?

Like my friends and I have said, it is gangsta rap music, and the idolizing of stupid retarded morons like 50 cent and his ilk that have contributed to this. Out here in Scarborough (and other parts of T.O.), young males (white, black, asian, middle eastern, tamil etc) listen to this garbage, watch the videos, and read and listen to the interviews of these clowns, and think to themselves, "Hey if I pimp women, deal drugs, and generally be a menace to society, I will eventually get rich and famous, as long as I have marginal skills and abilities of making half-baked rap (mumble) songs." 50c for example has stated he was crack dealer, and will continue to deal drugs (yeah that‘s a real calling) and he was shot 9 times and lived. In the eyes of impressionable young men this makes him a hero. To those of us here it just means he was lucky, and the shooter needs more practice. Sorry I can not respect this guy or any like him, and give me the chance and I will not miss. I respect the former Sgt. in unit who just recently left, who back in early 90‘s was on one of the first ROTO‘s to Bosnia and was shot multiple time‘s when his Iltis was ambushed. I respect him and the near sacrifice he made for his country. All the rest of these thugs and gangbangers deserve death and no respect for the terror they have inflicted upon society.

While I was doing a media search on the internet today for my friend who sadly was shot and subsequently died in hospital on March 5, 2004, I came across your forum. It angered me to read that you figured he was just "another gang banger or drug dealer". First of all, Jayvien was NOT a "gang-banger" or a drug dealer. Jayvien was attending 3 different night schools simultaneously at the time he was murdered so he could attend college this fall. Additionally he was working and had just received his driver‘s licence two days prior to being shot. He had a loving family, and a little daughter. I suggest that you don‘t make such generalizations when you yourself did not know the victim. I suggest you read the attached articles:

1)

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1079219410083

2)

‘Proud of you‘

Family and friends say final farewells

By SARAH GREEN, TORONTO SUN

Mourners gather to comfort Jayvien Piper‘s grandmother, Florence Piper, outside church following yesterday‘s funeral. (Photo: Dave Abel, SUN)
Jayvien Piper smiled on his grief-stricken family and friends yesterday. A videotape -- taken before the birth of his daughter nearly one year ago -- showed a beaming Piper rapping about his joy at becoming a father and his love for his girlfriend, Michelle Colthrust.

"You‘re my world," Piper rhymed, as he smiled into the camera. "I would like to dress you in diamonds and pearls."

The videotape, along with scores of photographs, brought memories of 22-year-old Piper to life as family and friends mourned his death at an emotional funeral service at Agincourt Pentecostal Church.

Piper was taken off life support on March 5, two days after he was chased and gunned down in a parking lot near Finch Ave. and McCowan Rd.

Piper, whose daughter Tyannah turns 1 on March 26, was leaving a parenting class at the time.

His killers are still at large.

"I‘m thankful for everyone showing up," Piper said poignantly later in the videotape taken at a family gathering. "It‘s a blessing."

Before he died, Piper was attending classes at three schools to earn his diploma. He dreamed of studying fashion design at George Brown College, starting this fall, and his sketch books brimmed with talent and ambition.

"Jayvien, I‘m so proud of you," said his aunt, Sharon Piper, struggling against tears.

"You turned things around for yourself a long time ago. You made mistakes, but you took responsibility for them and you learned from them."

Sharon Piper said she heard about the shooting on the 11 p.m. news and called her nephews to make sure they were unharmed.

She left a message for Piper, believing he was asleep because he had school the next morning.

"At 3 a.m., my worst nightmare came true," Piper‘s aunt said. "I am so sorry, Jayvien. I‘m sorry that you were alone. I‘m sorry that you died in such a violent way. I‘m sorry that you were afraid."

She vowed to see his killers brought to justice: "I promised you in the hospital and I promise you here right now that with every fibre in my body, I‘m not going to let this go."

Colthrust read a love letter addressed to her "soldier."

They met in Grade 7 and their friendship blossomed to deep love. She admired his faith, recalling he carried a Bible in his pocket and thanked God before every meal. She loved his close-knit family, including his many "silly" cousins.

"See, Jayvien, all I have to do is remember all the sweet things about you and I‘ll be okay," Colthrust said, vowing to be strong for Tyannah.

"We always said ‘til death do us part," she said. "And we stuck to our words without the rings. I just never thought it would be so soon."

---------

Originally posted by The_Falcon:
[qb] In the last 2 days, their have been 4 shootings in Scarborough. 3 people have been killed one is in ICU. The cops don‘t have motives but the suspect they are related to gangs and drugs except for the guy killed up the road from me (at Nielson and Finch). They believe he was killed over a road rage incident, or worse yet a case of mistaken identity, cause the suspect vehicle in this case is similiar to one that was involved in gangland shooting in broad daylight in the same neighbourhood not more than 2 weeks ago. This has got to stop. If drug dealers and gang banger wanna kill each other over stupidity then fine have at her and call when it is over. But all to often innocent people get hurt and killed by these retarded f***s, and thats what pisses me off. Short of going all Boondock Saints vigilante style on these @$$holes (which is the method I prefer btw), we should stick these guys in prison camp in say Nunavut or better on Ellesmere Island. And we should start putting people with some balls in parliament, to appoint the judges to enforce the laws we have, and to use the Charters not withstanding clause to claw back some of the liberties we have allowed these pukes. I am tired of all this crap. I anyone needs me, I will be looking for my black balaclava, and a silenced pistol or two. :threat: :akimbo: :fifty: [/qb]

Darkone,
We‘re all very sorry that your completely innocent friend was killed.

But, if you had read the initial post more carefully, you‘d have realised that this is EXACTLY what frustrates us the most (i.e. when innocent bystanders are gunned down by gang bangers or any other cowardly punk).

This has got to stop. If drug dealers and gang banger wanna kill each other over stupidity then fine have at her and call when it is over. But all to often innocent people get hurt and killed ... and thats what pisses me off.

darkone128,
First, welcome to the forum. Second, we‘d appreciate if you would read the whole thread before commenting. Sometimes reading it twice, is a good idea. I‘ve read through the whole thing, a few times. Unless I‘m missing something, I see nowhere in here that your friend was called a "gang banger" or "drug dealer" by us. On the contrary, most of the opinions here, outside the plethora of unedited news items, defend your friend as an innocent bystander caught by sensless violence. This tone is evident throughout the post including the post you singled out. To quote that one:
They believe he was killed over a road rage incident, or worse yet a case of mistaken identity, cause the suspect vehicle in this case is similiar to one that was involved in gangland shooting in broad daylight in the same neighbourhood not more than 2 weeks ago.
While your sense of loss is appreciated, please don‘t take your anger out on us.

Hi, thank you for your replies. I did read the post a few times, and it seemed to me that the author and yourself had only singled out the two men who got shot in their car at Neilson and Finch as the innocent bystanders, as shown by the quote that you provided below.

I am glad that the author of the post and members of this forum have the sense not to generalize all of these murders as "drug dealers killing each other".

The reason I made the initial post was to clarify what had happened and to make sure that my friend was not thrown into another bunch of statistics, and that he was a warm, kind-hearted person who was taken very suddenly from all those who love him.

I appreciate the fact that you guys are discussing this issue because it has become all too common and many people have simply become desensitized to violence, even violence in their own neighborhoods and it is important to not allow this to happen or it will not stop ever.

Darkone

Originally posted by recceguy:
[qb] darkone128,
First, welcome to the forum. Second, we‘d appreciate if you would read the whole thread before commenting. Sometimes reading it twice, is a good idea. I‘ve read through the whole thing, a few times. Unless I‘m missing something, I see nowhere in here that your friend was called a "gang banger" or "drug dealer" by us. On the contrary, most of the opinions here, outside the plethora of unedited news items, defend your friend as an innocent bystander caught by sensless violence. This tone is evident throughout the post including the post you singled out. To quote that one:
They believe he was killed over a road rage incident, or worse yet a case of mistaken identity, cause the suspect vehicle in this case is similiar to one that was involved in gangland shooting in broad daylight in the same neighbourhood not more than 2 weeks ago.
While your sense of loss is appreciated, please don‘t take your anger out on us. [/qb]

I realize not all shootings involve dealers shooting each other. Sometimes innocent people find they are in the path of a bullet. At the time I made the intial post the media relying on the police had only confirmed the shooting at Nielson Rd and Finch was not drug/gang related. I was simply repeating what the media was saying. If you friend was not involved in this type of activity, and was killed by being at the wrong place wrong time, you have my sympathies and my apologies if I was not very clear in my post.

Back