• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saudis sending Canadian-made LAVs to combat Yemeni Rebels

Hamish Seggie said:
When a car salesman sells a hot fast car to a young customer they don’t lecture them on safe driving etc.
Conversely, when someone buys a BMW, the dealership provides a mandatory 'drive like a douche' lecture.  :nod:

Journeyman said:
Conversely, when someone buys a BMW, the dealership provides a mandatory 'drive and park like a douche' lecture.  :nod:

You’re welcome. ;)

Journeyman said:
Conversely, when someone buys a BMW, the dealership provides a mandatory 'drive like a douche' lecture.  :nod:

I wonder what the lectures are that a new Harley owner receives...

dapaterson said:
I wonder what the lectures are that a new Harley owner receives...

They are taught the location of the secret switch that activates the muffler when you get near cops and deactivate it after you have passed them.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
They are taught the location of the secret switch that activates the muffler when you get near cops and deactivate it after you have passed them.
I asked the dealer how much it cost to have quieter pipes put on one of the bikes (it had aftermarket straight pipes on it). He said "I don't know; no ones ever asked." I told him they could keep the loud ones. He replied, "oh, it's free then."  ;D

I installed a dual air horn though, for when I needed to make noise.  :nod:

/increasing tangent

Journeyman said:
I asked the dealer how much it cost to have quieter pipes put on one of the bikes (it had aftermarket straight pipes on it). He said "I don't know; no ones ever asked." I told him they could keep the loud ones. He replied, "oh, it's free then."  ;D

I installed a dual air horn though, for when I needed to make noise.  :nod:

/increasing tangent

CBC is blind, deaf and dumb. And worth about a billion in public funding a year.....am I correct or is it more?

I'm sorry. Call it conspiracy theories. Right wing nutbar ranting whatever. CBC, seldom condemns the grits for anything. If they do it's normally pretty tame though. This looks like the makings of a Trudeau grit announcement and CBC is setting the stage.

The Government responds:

Trudeau defended the deal and his government's decision to approve it.

"Permits are only approved if the exports are consistent with our foreign and defence policies, including human rights," he told the House of Commons Tuesday. "Our approach fully meets our national obligations and Canadian laws."

Trudeau has stood behind the deal in the past, saying Canada had to respect contracts signed by previous governments.

On Tuesday, Trudeau took a moment to tout changes his government is making to the arms export control regime — and to take a swipe at the government of former prime minister Stephen Harper.

"We have brought new processes of transparency and accountability to international sales because Canadians expect a higher level of accountability than the Conservatives have offered us for 10 years," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saudi-lav-deal-1.4585035

Good on him (notwithstanding the cheap shot at Harper)

:cheers:

Got it:

- Helicopters without permanently-mounted small-arms weapons - BAD.

- Armoured vehicles with complex fire-control systems to guide permanently-mounted 25mm chain-gun against targets of nation’s choice - OKAY.

Check.

Perhaps people will pretend to be surprised when a company like Textron relocates its helicopter production facility from Canada (Quebec), back to the United States?

:2c:

Regards
G2G

Hey, some of those armoured vehicles are going to have 105 mm cannons.  That makes all the difference as compared to  helicopters.

Right?

I love this bit.

Trudeau has stood behind the deal in the past, saying Canada had to respect contracts signed by previous governments.

Only when it suits the LPC.  EH 101, eh JT?

jollyjacktar said:
I love this bit.

I hope this decision to keep to the deal is a sign of lessons learned from that debacle. Hypothetical: Would the KSA sue us $500mil if we backed out this late in the game?

jollyjacktar said:
I love this bit.

PMJT has as much to do with the cancellation of the EH 101 as Andrew Scheer has to do with the cancellation of the Avro Arrow. In this case, Trudeau did something that helped workers in London, On so why is that a negative thing?

Bird_Gunner45 said:
PMJT has as much to do with the cancellation of the EH 101 as Andrew Scheer has to do with the cancellation of the Avro Arrow. In this case, Trudeau did something that helped workers in London, On so why is that a negative thing?

It's the flip flop on the helicopter deal vs the LAV deal, of course they get cover by blaming the CPC for the LAV contract, but have to wear anything if the helicopter deal went through. The lack of consistency and balls are the issue.

Colin P said:
It's the flip flop on the helicopter deal vs the LAV deal, of course they get cover by blaming the CPC for the LAV contract, but have to wear anything if the helicopter deal went through. The lack of consistency and balls are the issue.

There's consistency in that the LPC has said they don't agree with the weapons sales. They were pretty clear that they didn't agree with the LAV contract but would see it through basically doing the opposite of what Chretien did.

The lack of balls is a different story. However, if there position is to not sell weapons to dictators than its a fait accompli.

Colin P said:

Ah, but some folks are too thick to understand the double standards being played by their favorite party.

Canadian made LAV’s, MRAP and US made armoured HUMVEE and Abrams tanks captured,  destroyed in North Yemen. At least 2 of the LAV appear to be sporting the 90mm gun, 1 seems to have a chain gun turret. https://youtu.be/zJ8cjoWjLeg

whiskey601 said:
Canadian made LAV’s, MRAP and US made armoured HUMVEE and Abrams tanks captured,  destroyed in North Yemen. At least 2 of the LAV appear to be sporting the 90mm gun, 1 seems to have a chain gun turret. https://youtu.be/zJ8cjoWjLeg

I don't think the 90mm armed LAV's were made in Canada? Older video. the Saudis are making headway against the Rebels, you note the anti-Saudi Coalition propaganda is ramping up significantly as the Saudi's begin to win and the battle is currently at a pivot point around the main supply port for the Houthi. 

Back