• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAS: Are you tough enough?

bigwig

Inactive
Reaction score
I was reading the TV guide last week and came across this new show that will be premiering on the History Channel on Thursday, October 27th at 8:00p. From what I read it is a reality show about 30 British civilians that are put through the rigorous training all put together by the Special Air Service. I guess the show is all about who can survive the training and who can't, and to also show the civilian world what it's like for boot camp with the SAS.

It sounds like an interesting show to watch and I'm definitely going to check it out.

Anyone else heard of the show?

Never heard of it.  But I'll check it out if I remember to.

Missed it at 8:00 last night as we had company over. They replayed it at 12:00 and I caught parts of it while channel surfing the news. Looked interesting . basically it's what a scaled down 10 day version of some of the highlights of SAS selection. The shots of the 27 odd civvies ( none have any military experience) doing their version of the Fandance were rather good.

For those who've read his books one of the "instructors" is former 22 SAS WO Barrie Davis, famous for the SAS Survival Handbook.

ha how about the Russian broad who was able to take apart the kalashnikov and then put it back together really quickly , good show i would like to see how it ends is it on next week at the same time i presume ? :eek:

I saw the last 15 minutes of it or so yesterday.  Seemed pretty good.  I'll check it out again.

Yeah it's on every thursday. I thought it was a pretty good show, although I didn't expect to see so many people drop out on the first day.

In the next episode the instructors have them dressed in civillian cloathes and try to do "point to point" while a team trys to catch them. Supposed to be like a behind enemy lines test... looks good.

I saw it and honestly it was stupid. not at all interesting. If I want to hear a bunch of people complaining all i have to do is go to school. I wont be watching it next week. also this Scaled down version of SAS selection isint realistic they might aswell call it US army Ranger school or jtf2 training there is no back up. if anyone were to ask me about it i would tell them not to waste their time.

And what exactly do you know about JTF2 training? Do much special forces training in 1913? I've seen you guys and they are pretty week

TR said:
And what exactly do you know about JTF2 training? Do much special forces training in 1913? I've seen you guys and they are pretty week
I think he was trying to say that it doesn't matter what they call it, not suggest that he knows anything about JTF2

Edit: and alexk, watch your tone. even I had trouble with your meaning.

It's just not going to be realistic, because of security reasons, and they would have most likely lost 25(or more), of the 29 people who started it, in the first day, if it was like the real thing. (my own 2 cents)

alexk said:
I saw it and honestly it was stupid. not at all interesting. If I want to hear a bunch of people complaining all i have to do is go to school. I wont be watching it next week. also this Scaled down version of SAS selection isint realistic they might aswell call it US army Ranger school or jtf2 training there is no back up. if anyone were to ask me about it i would tell them not to waste their time.

What a silly thing to say. I suppose you are well versed in SOps. Being a 20 year old cadet WO. If you meant anything other than being a mouthy brat i apologize but maybe you should explain what you meant a little better

I thought it was OK.  I especially liked it when three of the guys were late coming up to a checkpoint.. they decided to be smartasses and do the "this is my rifle this is my gun" routine from full metal jacket.  It seems the DS did not share the same sense of humour.

sorry if you didnt catch what i meant. I was just trying to point out that it doesnt match up to the name SAS are you tough enough?
when i saw that, it looked as tho it would be somthing more then a bunch of civies ( lac of a better term me being a civie).playing. It seemed like somthing informative about the SAS,

Im not claming to be a SOps expert of any sort.

10-4 I know what you mean. Id much rather watch an indepth show about actual pre screening...

Aaron White said:
10-4 I know what you mean. Id much rather watch an indepth show about actual pre screening...
You will never see a in depth program about the screening so take the next best thing even though it's watered down.

Danjanou,way back I and others were in the U.K.on a exchange with the R.E. and spent a week in the Brecon's and it was June.
We went through hot,rainy,foggy,Sleet and cold weather all in one week all with Brit kit (at that time shitty sleeping bag's) in Sennybridge.

I don't know if anyone else here had been to Sennybridge but give me Wain. any day in June.
But the terrain in the program is just like the Brecon's,bloody awful,the best Wales can give you to make life miserable!! :'(

Spr.Earl said:
Danjanou,way back I and others were in the U.K.on a exchange with the R.E. and spent a week in the Brecon's and it was June.
We went through hot,rainy,foggy,Sleet and cold weather all in one week all with Brit kit (at that time shitty sleeping bag's) in Sennybridge.
I don't know if anyone else here had been to Sennybridge but give me Wain. any day in June.
But the terrain in the program is just like the Brecon's,bloody awful,the best Wales can give you to make life miserable!! :'(

A truly horible place - although I have a fond memory of watching the Super Bowl on a handheld TV in the middle of a Training Area in Wales...

Ah some else who has spent some time in Sennybridge!! :salute:

PPCLI Guy you know the back gate where the church is and about 2 to 3 click's further on is the pub ?Alway's full of Army types of all rank's?

PPCLI you must have been in a posh Camp to get the Super Bowl,we didn't even get to see the Match of The Day!! ;)

All's we saw was sheep shite and F'all,but I must say bloody good ranges for training though.
Wish we had a similar set up.i.e the Jungle Lanes ,Section defensive postion's for fire and control Ex.'s.
I did learn a lot in Sennybridge.
Yes a orrible place but a good place.

Spr.Earl said:
PPCLI Guy you know the back gate where the church is and about 2 to 3 click's further on is the pub ?Alway's full of Army types of all rank's?

I may have been there once or twice (he mumbled sheepishly)

PPCLI you must have been in a posh Camp to get the Super Bowl,we didn't even get to see the Match of The Day!! ;)

Actually it was the shell of a building on a hill - and I was using my Driver's TV...they all thought that I was mad!

Yeah the things dedicated sports fans will do eh. I was able to catch the World Cup Hockey Final while on vacation last month. You have to imagine 40-50 Canadians crammed into a sleepy bar in a tiny Mexican village that has the only sat TV that had the game. (and the frantic search for a bar that would show the game).

Back to the series, from what I saw I am going to make an effort to catch future episodes. It beats Survivor.

Spr.Earl said:
You will never see a in depth program about the screening so take the next best thing even though it's watered down.

Hey I know that. But should they call it SAS: are you tough enough? Watering it down takes away from the SAS because civies start seeing the watered down version as real.......

Aaron White said:
Hey I know that. But should they call it SAS: are you tough enough? Watering it down takes away from the SAS because civies start seeing the watered down version as real.......

Right at the start they say it's not the full Monty but as close as they can make to the real thing.

Back