• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

moving this to the front page, sorry don't know how to link (computer retard) for those of you requesting info on SAR Tech, I have moved this fwd, in hopes you can find answers here, if not PM me..

Gully

So been following this thread and many others for some time and i have learned allot of usefull information.  I currently have my application in for SAR Tech.....just waiting for some sort of word as my file has been in Borden for 2 months.  I have a bit of a predicament right now and hopefully one of you knowledgeable fellas will be able to provide some advice.  Basically right now i am good to go for selection camp, have been for a while. I jump, i dive, i rock climb, and i have the highest medical training that i can squeeze out of my regiment.  So all in all i am pretty sure i should be good to go, however the gods may not see it in the cards for me.  Now the problem, I am scheduled to go on a course from 1 Dec till 11 Dec and again from 8 Jan till 2 Feb.  Essentially i will not be able to maintain the same level of fitness i currently have no-re, particularly in Jan, will i be maintaining a healthy diet.  Also my chances of injury due to the  type of course are higher.  The course is essential in a combat arms role for advancement, but of little value to a hopeful new career as a SAR Tech.  My questions being, should i try and get out of the course to be in the best condition for my hopeful invite to selection camp?  When is selection camp?  when do people receive notice they have been invited to selection?  and i final question, i was advised to read a book that i would become familiar with on selection, however the washer machine does wonders for all the scrap pieces of paper i write all my notes on?  Thank you any and all for input in this matter.

Cheers

Skins

Sar selection is in Feb 07. If you have not heard b4 your Engineer course starts you are not selected this year. regardless, do not turn down your course. Take the course and do selection next year. No course is "useless" you will broaden your experience and make yourself a better candidate. I started as a 041, and lots of SARtechs come from that trade. In the big picture, a year is nothing. You will be a year fitter, and better prepared. Take some medical training while you are pushing the snowblower on rear party. Anatomy and Physiology Correspondence. It will do you in much better stead than a first aid instructor ever will. Good luck on your course, and on selection. Consider all the time your file is lost, shoved to the bottom of the pile, shuffled, mis routed, and plain ol stalled, as part of selection, as many candidates who aren't completely determined give up in this phase. Keep checking on your file, don't take no for an answer. Keep me posted

gully

Thank you for your input. It is the first solid answer I have received in regards to this in 3 weeks. I am pursuing all avenues of communication. And as well, with thought, grown to the idea of course. If one sees it as a challenge, and is motivated, that one will see it as an opportunity to better oneself.

Cheers

Skins

The book you are talking about is called "down but not out', it is an ancient and revered Aircrew survival manual. it is pretty much the gospel of the Prelim. It has recently been republished as a CASARA Survival manual, can't think of its name offf the top of my head... probably the CASARA survival manual (Civil Air Search And Rescue Ass'n) memorize the whole book, and your odds of being selected improve....

Thanks, was able to order a 1984 print for 10 bucks off the net.  I look forward to the read.

Skins

As I am typing this a Buf is doing a low pass through Vancouver Harbour outside my window. I used to dive with the SAR tech's in Comox back in 94-98 as I was part of the CCG Hovercraft diveteam, are you guys still using J valves on your dive tanks?

were, then weren't, are, soon won't currently diving with them permanently down.

Thanks
I remember being in completely surprised to find out you guys were still using them in the 90's

I asked what your reserve pressure was for surfacing and the guys looked at me and said: "you cycle your valve"  :eek: I felt like I took a trip back in time.

On that same trip one of the SAR techs lost his tank and octopus, when the tank latch got caught in that stupid float you guys had to tow everywhere, he was at around 40-60' and his mouthpiece was ripped from his mouth, lucky that his buddy was beside him, I think the gear was saved by dangling from the BC LP line.

It was fun working with the guys and they sure know how to party!!

Yet another SARTECH Question.......

I'm a 33 year old civilian with extensive training & experience (IRATA L3, SPRAT CSR2, BSLS Medic, Rescue Diver, UIAA Guide 2, 720 FF jumps), and am looking for a challenging career. I've travelled the world, but always found that my employment lacked a significant purpose- I'm used to rigging and babysitting actors in the film biz, and it's a little frustrating at times.

I'll happily pay my dues in the reg forces (Army??), and will pursue this objective with an earnest heart; my biggest concern is that my age at the time of my application(38-39) will make me unattractive to the SAR ranks. Fitness wise it shouldn't be a problem, I'm an avid triathelete and mountaineer, and have no intention of quitting.

If there's a SARTECH who's got some words of wisdom, encouragement or hard reality, I'd love to hear it.

Please help me make a decision and commit to a new life.

PT

PT, I am a 38 year old SAR Tech. I don't know what all those letters you spouted off are, but if you are serious, look back a few pages of the thread and then PM me. I am eager to talk to you. there have been several candidates selected and succeed in their late 30's.

gully

Thanks for the reply;  as for the abbreviations:

IRATA: Industrial Rope Access Trade Association, Level 2 tech with 2400 hours on rope, 1200 of which are on the CN Tower @ 15-1850ft.

SPRAT: Society of Proffesional Rope Access Technicians, Level 2 Supervisor cert, 1700 Hours, Confined Space Rescue and NFPA Tower Rescue tech

BSLS(BTLS) : EMT/EMS L2 Paramedic Technician, basic pharmacology

Padi/CMAS certified diver with Rescue, Ice, Night, Mixed Gas, Nitrox, Deep Diver, 300+logged dives

720 logged Free Fall jumps over 10,000ft.

I've since met with recruiters in Toronto to discuss options, and they've presented a position in ROTP with armoured. As an officer I understand I have a lesser chance than an NCO to become a SARTECH(or JTF/CSOR), but have yet to make a decision as to my due course.
  Given the opportunity, hypothetically, would you (in my naive shoes...), pursue a commission, or sacrifice rank to live in the "hands on" world, as a combat or rescue technician?

Regards,

PT

(please note, Gully, that I was unable to find a pm link to your profile)

Has anyone ever heard of an officer resigning his commission and going for SAR tech training.  I heard a couple pilots did it a few years ago, but have got no real answers.

I guess I'm just wondering if it is possible.  I'll be calling to BSPO in a few days for some answers as well.

J

papatango, you can PM kj_gully here (it's through a user's profile page.)

G2G

Gully, a few postings ago you mentioned the CASARA Manual.  This link to the "CASARA Training Manual Rev Jan 03" surfaced in a "C27J Spartan versus C295" debate in another forum.

http://www.casaraontario.ca/~webmaster1/Manuals/Revised%20New%20CASARA%20Training%20Manual%201.pdf

(the link seems to work ...sometimes.  You can also just start at www.casaraontario.ca and drill down.)

I haven't seen this link in any previous post in this thread.  If you and perhaps a few of the other SAR Techs could have a look and comment on its usefulness to those seeking information on the trade.

RCA said:
With all the talk of JTF and the Airbourne, I would consider the SAR techs one of the elites of the Forces. Whereas all others train for the job, these guys actual do it.

It is another of one of those trades you can not enter directly but must remuster to and go thru a rigerious selection process to gain entry.

Actually they are doing a trial for direct entry SAR techs.. no joke they recruits have to be Paramedic qualified. I believe a few are going through recruit school now and are to be on the next cereal SAR course. It will be interesting to see if this actually works.  I have a couple friends on the course now and I have heard SAR techs are not getting spec pay until they are MCPL's

Cutter2001ca said:
  I have a couple friends on the course now and I have heard SAR techs are not getting spec pay until they are MCPL's

Thats correct....same with alot of other trades in the Spec1 or Spec 2 pay groups

Back